PDA

View Full Version : Data Execution Prevention (DEP) error

captainkirk
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Every now and then, KB will crash and I'll get a Data Execution Prevention (DEP) error. I'm running Vista Ultimate, SP1 on a Dell XPS Gen3, 3.4GHz P4 with 2Gb of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with the latest drivers. I've attempted to turn off DEP for KB, but my system won't allow that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Patryk1977
10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Same problem here.
Im runnung Vista Sp1 GF 8400 GS HP Dv9500.
any tips solution?

mothman
10-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Try running KB using the compatibility tab in Vista.

Locate the KB game icon in your Start Menu -OR- find the executable file. Right click and select properties and then click on the Compatiblity tab. Within the compatablility section, select the checkbox to enable this program in compatibility mode and then select Windows XP SP2 as the OS for the game.

captainkirk
10-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Try running KB using the compatibility tab in Vista.

Locate the KB game icon in your Start Menu -OR- find the executable file. Right click and select properties and then click on the Compatiblity tab. Within the compatablility section, select the checkbox to enable this program in compatibility mode and then select Windows XP SP2 as the OS for the game.

Thanks. I'll try that. Didn't think about doing that since there wasn't anything about OS requirements that I saw and figured that KB would be Vista compatible.

mothman
10-03-2008, 04:48 AM
I would agree that is should work without forcing it into compatiblity mode but until it is fixed you should be able to use it to your advantage. :grin:

ThyrsaM
10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I did that too and so far it seems to work. 2 days without crashes.

rtsfreak
10-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I can't to find a solution for this.
I'm also running Windows Vista Ultimate.
3ghz E8400
Geforce 8800GT.
2GB Kingston HyperX RAM

I tried the "compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2" and still have issue.
I also tried excluding King's Bounty executable in the DEP settings but it says that kb.exe needs to use it. Why???
I tried seeing if I could exclude my other games from DEP and the checkbox shows and works just fine.

Luckily I have saved just previous points before the same DEP incidents happen.

I got first error immediately after defeating "Lucky James" Castle on Islands (I already completed mission with "RedBeard" giving Black Seal to "Lucky James). It seemed to work again after reloading the same save point about 3 times.

Figuring I killed the Kraken already and now killed him, I decided to go back to his Beautiful fiance (I forgot her name) to see if she'll let me marry her cuz her fiance is dead. The time it crashes with DEP again, is just after when I ask her to marry me and I click on the response that "James and the Kraken are dead".

I'm going to try to kill James first then the Kraken. Then go to James fiance and see what happens.

hawker
10-03-2008, 10:19 AM
That talking to Mirabella after killing the Kraken crashes the game is a known bug. There's a small mod around here somewhere that fixed this.

rtsfreak
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
That talking to Mirabella after killing the Kraken crashes the game is a known bug. There's a small mod around here somewhere that fixed this.

Thanks alot. I found mod fix on the thread. I'm not sure if it official but according to one person it has worked for him. I would rather use an official patch but I can't wait. oh well.

procop
10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks alot. I found mod fix on the thread. I'm not sure if it official but according to one person it has worked for him. I would rather use an official patch but I can't wait. oh well.

What fix did you use? I just disabled DEP in Vista SP1 but game still crashes :confused:

pigeon
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm also having this problem. Every other battle, and maybe 1/10 times I right click on an item or try to save, the game is shut down by DEP. I tried changing the compatibility setting as suggested above, but it hasn't helped at all...

Is there any hope that this will be fixed? I'm in love with the game but I can't play it like this, it's a completely debilitating bug...

pigeon
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone? It would be really nice if somebody involved would at least acknowledge the problem and hopefully tell us they're working on it... I tried to play again tonight, but I've tried to fight the same battle 6 times and it's crashed every time, sometimes within seconds of starting!

I've recommended the game to two people who bought it (because it's an awesome game), both of whom are having the same problem. All my initial praise for this game is drying up, because no matter how good the content is, it doesn't matter if you can't actually play it...

Direwolf
10-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Agreed.

I'm really surprised and disappointed that there's been absolutely no acknowledgment from the DEVS that this is an ongoing and fatal bug. I really love this game but this is way beyond frustrating.

DW

phoenixreborn
10-26-2008, 01:34 PM
From what I've read on this forum the game works on Vista 32 bit but not on Vista 64 bit.

Did everyone in this thread try the xp compatibility method that people earlier in this thread said worked?

Did everyone in this thread patch to 1.6.5 if you have the US 1.6b7 version?

pigeon
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm using Vista 32 bit, I installed the 1.6.5 update, and I've tried the xp compatibility method, but it had zero effect.

It's also worth noting that for me, this problem got worse and worse the farther into the game I got. When I started out it crashed maybe once in 2-3 hours and only in battle mode (and not because of DEP, it gave some memory allocation error). Crashing once in a blue moon in a battle isn't so annoying to me because I always save before every battle :-P.

But now I'm in Ellinia/Undead lands and I usually can't play 5 minutes without DEP killing the game.

Direwolf
10-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Well, it would be really nice for someone...ANYONE to acknowledge that this thread exists and comment on whether there's ANY plans to fix this bug. Nothing more frustrating than being ignored...

pigeon
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I would just like to let the world know that this problem has become insurmountable for me. After hours of repeating everything over and over trying to get the game to not crash, I finally made it to Demonis. However, the problem has gotten so bad that the game crashes every 5 minutes or so. I can't use my inventory, because 90% of the time I click on an item or try to scroll, the game crashes, and I get the error during almost every single fight.

I've uninstalled the game now, because I couldn't help but try to play while it was installed but trying to play was just making me angry. I feel cheated because I bought a game that doesn't work, and the developers won't even recognize the existence of the problem. At first I was hoping that they just needed to be shown the problem and then they'd fix it with time. Now I don't think they care at all, and I will be very careful before buying any games from this developer again. If there are any bugs at all that might bother me I will wait until they are addressed before considering buying the game.

It's a shame. At first Katauri won me over with the incredible content of the game, and then they lost me as a customer due to their complete lack of recognition and support of debilitating problems.

rbjester
11-03-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm using Vista 32 bit, I installed the 1.6.5 update, and I've tried the xp compatibility method, but it had zero effect.

It's also worth noting that for me, this problem got worse and worse the farther into the game I got. When I started out it crashed maybe once in 2-3 hours and only in battle mode (and not because of DEP, it gave some memory allocation error). Crashing once in a blue moon in a battle isn't so annoying to me because I always save before every battle :-P.

But now I'm in Ellinia/Undead lands and I usually can't play 5 minutes without DEP killing the game.

That is my exact situation to a T. Game crashed a few times throughout playing, until i got to the undead/elf island. Now its every other battle, or even more common. It seems to happen quite often with elf units at least or maybe the enviornments. I just am too frustrated now to continue playing and going to go outside and get some sun at the park and let this game collect dust without finishing even 1 play through until they fix this issue.

jwinter@aol.com
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I know this will be of no consolation to those having problems, but I have to believe that it is something in your environment that is causing the problems. I have Vista x64 and I have completed the game twice and am on my third character and the only crash I have encountered was the acknowledge Mirabella/James/Kracken bug.

I have several sessions of more than 8 hours of continuous play with no problems whatsoever.

Now I am a commercial software developer and very anal about what gets loaded and is running on my machine, so I definately encountered fewer issues than most.

Full Specs: Core2Duo 8600 (at stock), nVidia GTX 260 216 Factory Overclocked, 2GB RAM (working on getting machine stable with 4GB but thats a MB/BIOS issue), Vista x64 SP1 and all known updates.

Examples of software that I DONT load: any instant messaging, CD/DVD emulators, process explorer, XLive, any file sharing/BitTorrent programs.

For those having the problem, it's a great game so keep plugging away at trying to find what the conflict is.

BigJim

pigeon
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
jwinter, my install of windows is as clean as can be expected. I updated a clean install of xp on a brand new partition to vista ultimate edition. Since installing windows I have installed 6 pieces of software: AVG, Adobe Reader 8, Firefox, Civilization IV: Colonization, King's Bounty, and Babylon (a multilingual dictionary). And I don't really browse the internet, either - only a handful of sites, all of which I trust.

The one thing out of the ordinary about my computer is that it's a mac, and I'm running windows in bootcamp. However, I played Colonization just fine, and on my desktop back home I've played probably a dozen games through bootcamp without encountering anything out of the ordinary.

If I haven't had a single problem related to running windows on a mac with the dozens of other applications I've used, I shouldn't have a problem like this with King's Bounty. Not to mention I would be very surprised if everyone else having this program is using windows on a mac.

So given that my computer is as clean as any developer can reasonably expect, and that me using a mac is pretty much ruled out as the culprit (at least directly), then it stands to reason that it very well may be a software problem.

jwinter@aol.com
11-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Pigeon, my only reason for posting was to let people know that it does not appear to be a fundamental problem between Kings Bounty and Vista x64 (even though it is not technically a supported OS) - that they can work together. The fact is that there is clearly a problem and it is being encountered my multiple people. I fully suspect that, as you suggest, it is a software problem, but it appears to me to be a conflict between King's Bounty and some other software that is running. Whether the blame lies with King's Bounty or that other software I could not say.

Based on your list of installed software, my personal thought process in trying to isolate the cause of the problem would be the following:

1. Possible issue with AVG. Anti-virus software in general is a common source of conflicts. May want to try disabling it temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

2. See if you have Adobe or Firefox configured to check for auto updates. I have encountered problems with unrelated programs that have background processes which check for updates, etc. on the internet.

3. (Maybe this should be #1), check for Windows updates to Vista (there are several hotfixes which were specifically aimed at gaming/memory allocation related problems - sorry don't have the numbers in front of me).

4. Although not listed, do you have any sidebar tasks, background tasks or tray tools or the like that could be conflicting?

5. While the mac certainly adds a variable to the equation, I am not going to point the finger at that without some evidence that it is related.

I truely hope that you and others can get this resolved so you can enjoy King's Bounty.

rbjester
11-03-2008, 10:02 PM
ok, I am on a brand new laptop, 8400 duo, 9600m GS 1gig of memory, I have 4 gig of system memory on vista 64 premium. I have a clean system that runs windows with nothing out of hte ordinary in the background, aim is off when i play, along with adobe, quicktime, and other p2p programs. This isn't my computer or my drivers. It is a conflict with a visual bug that may not even be DEP related. DEP does give the error when it does crash, however I even took some advice and disabled that completely and it still crashes. All of the crashes are instant blackscreen and give a DEP error. Clicking close the program brings me back to desktop and I'm able to run the program from the last save point. It doesn't always happen even in the same fight but it happens AT LEAST every other fight.

loner
11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I completed the game without any single crash and I`m running on Windows Vista 64-bit. So the problem can`t be in Vista itself. It has to be something else (driver/software/settings combination)

Also, my DEP is turned off since I installed the system and I disabled many useless windows services from start up list..

Jaguar4
01-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Like many others, I am experiencing the crash in Vista 64. I am downloading Service Pack 1 right now. Has anyone figured out anything more? Is it possible it could be a sound issue? I am also experiencing the occasional dropped sound in battle as has been referenced by others. Any help would be appreciated.

billharris44
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm running 64-bit Vista, and I'm having the same problem as some of you--only a very rare crash at first, but now that I've reached the elves/undead, it's crashing so often (DEP, although if I disable DEP, it crashes out anyway) that I can't continue. Always in battle, and always after quite a large portion of the battle, too.

So maybe if you guys were willing to post your OS, video card, driver version, and graphics settings in the game, it might be possible to find a combination that works. Particularly for you guys who have 64-bit Vista and finished the game with no problems.

Mine:
Vista 64-bit Ultimate
Asus ENGTX260 + latest Nvidia 64-bit drivers
All in-game graphics setting at high

After putting in 30+ hours, I'd really like to finish the game. I'll probably even play it again. But only if I can play it without crashing.

billharris44
02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
I went into Event Viewer and here's the message I'm getting:
Faulting application kb.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48e5fee9, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002f217, process id 0x130c, application start time 0x01c98594f8c46390

So if you guys see that you're getting the same error when the game crashes, please post that here (or whatever message you're getting).

Avariel
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I cannot play anymore cause of this DEP problem.
Do someone with same have solved it ?

onurb666
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
i have vista home 64bit 4 Gig RAM i had DEP crashes and computer lockups
and closing some running background aplications seem to make the game more
stable for me . In one instance closing windows defender helped me get
through a perticular battle that always made game DEP crash.

Avariel
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Which kind of applications did you closed for a more stable game ?

onurb666
02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
any non critical windows applications, dwm.exe must be closed it is too
much of a memory drain.. plus i noticed i had crashes on startup if i
start the game too fast (on system boot my hardrive has some activity
and my core is on high activity) so i wait til all cools down then i play.
hope this helps...

scorp76
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Well i was having the same prob with the DEP. The underground cave with the Bone Dragons in the Northen Island map.

So I tried several patches... no go since they make my DVD invalid. I thought a reinstall would fix the prob. Didn't. Made a DEP exclusion for kb.exe. No go.

So without bothering about the OS compatibility idea I tried AMD's solution; Fusion. Since I have a X2 CPU which is DEP capable I figure the Fusion util from AMD to minimise interferrance from OS and other programs while playing games should help.

Well I manage to finish that battle with the Bone Dragons and vampires without the DEP error. And have fought several more battles. Don't if it will forstall any errors later in the game but maybe someone else would like to make a go at it too.

BTW my King's Bounty has no distributor (apparantly) and it is marked as 1.6.4

Which patch is this? I am from Malaysia and got the game from New Era distributions.

scorp76
02-10-2009, 09:41 AM
BTW I am using Vista 64bit.

Stardust
02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
I got the DEP error crash when I talked to Mirabella (sp?) after slaying the kraken. I know its the common bug but the DEP crashes just happen more and more often. I look around online for a bit about DEP and decide to just disable it and I never have any problem again. Look on the internet for info about DEP (search DEP vista to get it) and choose to disable it or not yourself to play the game without frustration. This is how you disable DEP:

Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

scorp76
02-13-2009, 07:58 AM
That's probably the best solution. I'll try it since i have a save game which has a DEP error :)

Ok to correct your guide a bit:

Right click on Cmd (at top), and click on Run as Adminstrator.

type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Restart the computer to apply.

type wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

The number should say 0.

Here is the full guide :)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120778-dep-enable-disable.html

Ultra
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I run Kings bounty on a HP Laptop with Nvidia 8400M Graphics.
Operating System Vista 32

It was almost unplayable until I disabled the following startup programs and services. All are installed with the Nvidia video driver. I have not noticed any loss in features and slightly better compatibility with Media Player.

RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Nvidia display driver service

I used windows defender to disable the first two and changed the startup of the Nvidia display service from automatic to manual.

The biggest help came from disabling the display service.

The same actions improved a friends computer with a Nvidia 8500GT Graphics card. After these changes he completed the game start to finish without 1 crash.

Maguscro
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Ive been having the same problems with this. Tried shutting down the DEP function and other things mentioned in here, but nothing have helped.

So yesterday i updated the drivers on my graphic card and after that i managed to play about 2 hours not experiencing any crash, before they were very frequently.

Using GT8800 and Vista32.

Hope this will help someone :)

Antonius
04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Having the same issue now every time I try to enter the cyclops cave in the dwarf lands. I shut off DEP and it still shuts down the program everytime I try and enter there. DEP shows as turned off, but it is still crashing the program. ANy more ideas?

knacki99
05-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Same Problem here.

Why is there no patch for this????

Cutter
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Same problem here. I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 bit. All my drivers are up to date and I don't get these DEP issues with ANY program besides King's Bounty. Let's go 1C, this should be resolved by now, it's obviously a Vista issue, one primarily seeming to affect the 64 bit versions more than anything else.

knacki99
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This issue needs patching!

pegasusii
05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I have visited another fan forum for KB, there are also a lot of ppl having this DEP error, after long discussion they made a conclusion:

This DEP error is mainly caused by graphic issue, especially with GeForce 8 series video cards. Simple solution is to update your video card driver to newest.

Yep.
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Hiya, I was having the same problem as everyone else in this thread. I was crashing almost every 10 minutes due to DEP. I think I've found the solution, however; Turn off DEP completely.

But before I explain how to do this, know that there were some complaints (albeit in 2007) of Vista taking a dump and not booting up correctly after turning off DEP. But it's an easy fix if that happens, you just turn DEP back on. But mine did just fine (fully updated Vista 32 bit)

Here's what you do;

Open a command prompt with administrator rights and type:

bcdedit.exe/set nx [current] alwaysoff

and reset your computer.

To turn DEP back on, type:

bcdedit.exe/set nx [current] alwayson

and reset your computer.

mauvo
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I had the DEP error, but it seems to have been solved by turning off the sound in game (music and effects).

I guess there are a variety of causes, but if none of the other suggestions work for you, try this.

wauft
01-31-2011, 01:12 AM
I downloaded KB from the net, paid $30 where do i go and what do i do to remedy this?:confused: