PDA

View Full Version : Request for some newguy tips

bigheadmikelove
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I just started playing this game last night and I have to say that it is a wonderful game (I remember the original waaaaay back, I have to say it's come along way since for sure) and I have run into a stumbling block of sorts...I have gotten to level 4 and now it seems that wherever I go I have a whole bunch of armies that I can't seem to beat (ex I'll have like 20 swordsman, the armies I run into are all in the filled with units of 50 or greater).. the highest level units that I can get are archmages and I frankly think that they are about useless (though the moving a unit one hex is a pretty neat mechanic IMO, I'm gonna have to work about with it) but basically could someone post a semi detailed walkthrough to at least getting the Spirits of Rage...I haven't been able to get mine on my game, and as an old school 4xer and Homm (and original KB player for that matter) I'd have to go and turn in my nerd pride card if I set the game to easy, lol...I've been playing as a warrior but it seems like most of the skills in the tree that I want are in the "green" skill tree (the leadership one on the top left looks really tasty...so onto my questions I guess.

1st could someone give a basic how to get the spirit of rage walkthrough up...it obviously is an important mechanic to the game, I feel like I'm missing out.

2nd where to go to get the "cool" units.. all I can get are seeds wolves bears and the "human (for lack of a better term) units

3rd what are the cant miss skills, and conversely what are the ones that you should really stay far away from....

4th (and this isn't neccessarily for myself, but I'm sure people out there could use some help on it) Tactics...the game is almost to deceptively simple but the battle system appears (after about 4 5 hours playtime for me) to have true strategic depth...

I guess that's all I have for the moment, like I said, I haven't slept since I got the game so if this came out all googleymoogly I apologise in advance.

Mike

kennec
10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
its a wonderfull game

whut class are u playing?

rage skills are semi important for mages. more important for warriors to get some aoe and poison skills.

thing with the game its simply hard all the way. its not just go around and bash enemy and buy best units and equipment avaible while ai doesnt have that. when u come to a time when u get mobs be very sure they have been running around on your map for hours as opponents. example some enemys u encounter at 15 but cant buy them untill lvl 25.

battle tactics are different on

whut class u are and whut units u have in army
check the good units thread wich are on this forum. it gives good insight for first days of play.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4134

altough nothing is wrong and i think most skills are good. if u want an unded army there are skills for that and then skill is good, but its not good for an good aligned mage but he needs mage skilsl insteed.

Quikpik
10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
In order to get the king's brother's home, you will have dodge some wandering patrols or try to outrun them to the astrologer's home. Or you can fight your way through, it's not very far and I did it this way when I was level 4. After talking to the brother and returning to the king, you need to the Magic Academy in Verlon Forest. This one is easy, you will be able to run to the academy without fighting anything. Remember to talk to the spirits when you get the both so you can see what you need to do in order to get them to serve you.

You aren't going to see many "cool units" on Darion. The best units you can hope for on this continent are Inquisitors, Griffins, Alchemists, and Royal Snakes. Some of the more common units are very serviceable. Bears and snakes are pretty good, they have decent hps and do good damage. Hyenas are also ok if you can't find bears right away. In both of my games, I've been always able to find bears from Stephan Hall or the hunter. I'm level 12 now and I still use bears in my army.

I'd say pretty good skills to get early on are Glory and Master of Spirits. The rest is subject to your style of gameplay.

Tuplis
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I've been playing with a paladin and can offer some advice on strategy that'll work at least on normal difficulty.

I'm level 24 at the moment and I still find Inquisitors and Griffins to be very effective. You'll be getting them soon enough. For the moment, I'd suggest going with 2 or preferably 3 stacks of ranged units (archer, archmage, priest perhaps?), some good defensive damage dealers (like swordsmen and guardsmen) and one stack with high initiative and speed (fireflies or something) OR you could just ditch the defensive ones. The strategy would then be first taking down opposing archers, then getting rid of the melee guys.

I've also found that the battle system is very strategic and that's why I took Onslaught and Tactics as soon as I could and they are the ones that help me destroy armies with dragons without ever taking casualties. I do have to use resurrection a lot though so I don't know how well the "no casualties"-part applies to you since as far as I know warriors are a little worse at spellcasting.