PDA

View Full Version : Limitation at buying Troops???

Zaza
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi all.

I was really looking forward to this game and i wanted to buy it, but after i read this ign review, i'm not so sure anymore. is it true that you can run out of troops? limitation at purchasing troops?

... there is the potential danger that some gamers may have to start their campaign over. Since castles/shops only provide a finite number of troops to buy, players who die a lot may run out of troops to purchase. It's like trying to buy milk from the local grocery store, except that they're all out. Granted, there are plenty of places to purchase troops from, but the reality of limited resources is there.

it hurts to hear that the game limits the player in such a way!

bman654
10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes it is true. But you would have to die an awful lot for that to happen. The game is playable without dying at all so keep in mind this is not a big deal. What this really means is sometimes you run out of the type of troop you are using and have to try out a different troop type which I think is a good thing.

sinava
10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes it is true. But you would have to die an awful lot for that to happen. The game is playable without dying at all so keep in mind this is not a big deal. What this really means is sometimes you run out of the type of troop you are using and have to try out a different troop type which I think is a good thing.
yes i agree, its more fun to try out various units
In addition to this at the main king's castle after you complete quests you will have unlimited number of troops

knoxchris
10-01-2008, 04:14 PM
There are way too many troops to ever run out, and at the main human castle after some questing most the troops become "horde" which means there is no limit on the amount available in the future... this is about a day into the game, so that review fails. :)

Quikpik
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, you may run out of a certain type of troop. But that doesn't mean there will be no more monsters to buy for your army. For example, I had polar bears for awhile until they slowly died off after many battles. I then switched to regular bears, which between all the different vendors that sold bears totaled over 3000 available for purchase.

Buy the game, it's great.

Kolorabi
10-01-2008, 05:31 PM
And sometimes you can get access to more by doing quests. I was running out of griffins to buy, but completed a quest for the griffin king, and got access to over 1400 griffins plus a bunch of griffin eggs.

So yeah, you've got to conserve your favourite troops if you can, but you will never ever run out of troops to buy. Even if you do run out of one type of troops, you can always try something else. And there's also an unlimited supply of certain weaker troop types (that can still pack quite a punch if they're many).

I think this feature adds to the strategic gameplay, and it motivates you to use healing spells and other strategies to keep your troops alive.

Quikpik
10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I think this feature adds to the strategic gameplay, and it motivates you to use healing spells and other strategies to keep your troops alive.

So true, I am the biggest abuser of Resurrection. I always save some mana points in case one of my hard to replace units goes down.

ilovebugs
10-02-2008, 08:10 PM
it's true that you can run out of a certain type of troop because the castles are running out, because they don't have them "horde".

personally it's kinda pissing me off, because i like to stick to a certain type of troops, and i only see it as a hindrance to players that do not appreciate this "strategic feature" and they should've, at the very least, added an option for disabling it.

but sometimes there are more castles/shops with that "one" troop you want, which allows for some tedious backtracking.
i really liked the polar bears and wanted to buy some, now I've run dry of 'em and they are completely gone. so far I'm at the dwarven king.

still it's a good game and you shouldn't let this bother you even if you, like me, do not appreciate the limited troop stuff...

Shd
10-03-2008, 06:21 AM
For limited troops problem there is Sacrifice (not for all of course), but to replenish them you need at least one :)

ThyrsaM
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
The limitation really adds to the pleasure of this game. It forces you to rethink strategies and play differently at times. You can't have it all I really don't think this will hinder anyone in this game.

Shd
10-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Totally agree.

But if someone thinks its more interesting to playing with unlimited troops, then use sacrifice.

Gatts
10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi all.

I was really looking forward to this game and i wanted to buy it, but after i read this ign review, i'm not so sure anymore. is it true that you can run out of troops? limitation at purchasing troops?

... there is the potential danger that some gamers may have to start their campaign over. Since castles/shops only provide a finite number of troops to buy, players who die a lot may run out of troops to purchase. It's like trying to buy milk from the local grocery store, except that they're all out. Granted, there are plenty of places to purchase troops from, but the reality of limited resources is there.

it hurts to hear that the game limits the player in such a way!

At first I was afraid of this ass well, but this is not true, at the true beginning you can have unlimited peasants, after few quests you can have unlimited archers and swordsman- later on you will have the possibility to have much more even if not unlimited, units that one could possibly waste (only by dismissing them).

So no worries.