PDA

View Full Version : Looking for modding tutorials.

Sculpter
01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I am looking for a detailed tutorial on how you can create a mod for Men of War. I've looked in many places but many of the tutorials are half completed and hard understand, is there an easier tutorial that explains how to do this?

Sculpter
01-22-2014, 12:35 PM
I am also looking for anyone interested in possibly creating a mod that is tailored to historical and realistic battles set in Vietnam.

FMAlanbrooke
01-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Yes I would like to know where to start, too, like how difficult is it to draw and add vehicles that are not included already? How do you create new vehicles anyway? In this forum You can find a list of Youtube videos that tell you various aspects of the GEM editor but there's nothing to teach you modding in systematic way - maybe you have to do a modding 101 (or a generic game design) course for that!

Zeke Wolff
01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
To create a new vehicle for the game you need some things

a) a copy of 3ds Max 8 or 9 (or Milkshape 3D, not recommened though since it is much more difficult to export vehicles etc with this software)
b) the official exporter plugins for the above software (or the inofficial plugins for Milkshape 3D).
c) some basic skill in 3d drawing
d) a lot of patience since it involves a lot of try-and-error before you get the hang of it.
e) a uvmapper (comes built in with both 3ds Max and Milkshape 3D, but there are several easy-to-use uvmappers to be bought or downloaded for free (lithunwrap for example).
f) a paint software to create the vehicle skins with. You can basically use Windows Paint to do these, but Photoshop or Paint.net is better recommended.

That´s basically all you need to create new vehicles for the game.

There are several tutorials on how to export and create vehicles (with 3ds max) floating around online, but 99.9% of these are written in Russian and if you don´t understand this language, you are basically on your own.

I´ve no experience whatsoever in 3ds Max or exporting with that software so I can´t be of any assistence with that software.

Here is a link to where you can find some tutorials for 3ds max written in English (last post in the thread) http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/forum/dms-games/men-of-war-assault-squad/english-ad/modding-aa/tutorials-faqs-aa/10234-3ds-max-export-tutorials-get-your-stuff-into-men-of-war/page3 . Hopefully the download link still works.

~Zeke.

FMAlanbrooke
01-29-2014, 04:30 AM
wow, "secrets of the modding masters!!" Thanks a lot, Zeke!!

Zeke Wolff
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Notepad also come in handy when editing the .def files.

A small tip about .def files: These are easily made by copy-pasting an already existing vehicle .def file.

For example, if you are making a turreted tank, use a .def file from a already made turreted tank, and rename it into your new vehicle name (ie. if you use the .def file from the Sherman to create a M60A1, simply rename the .def file to M60A1) and then edit the file (change armor values, ammo onboard, speed etc with Notepad (or any similar word editor)).

If you decide to go with Milkshape 3D, here is a link to download the in-official plugins:
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/forum/dms-games/men-of-war/english/modding/3d-modelling/249239-sticky-please-soldiers-heroes-of-world-war-ii-milkshape-3d-plugins-and-mod-tools

~Zeke.

FMAlanbrooke
02-20-2014, 12:53 AM
OK I got some training in Autodesk 3ds max, and learnt how long it takes to make even a simple shape!! I found this amazing collection of 3D tanks http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-designer-profile/Panaristi and the guy who created them says he is interested in helping me but he wants to know "how many polys" are needed to use them in the game?