PDA

View Full Version : Installing problem

Aery
09-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,
I buy this game at atari store and now my problem is I cannot install the game using both autorun.exe and setup.exe.
Nothing appear but the program looks like working in background.
I use vista 64bit.
The demo works fine !

Thanks for any helps!

jojojo
09-30-2008, 05:31 AM
I too have the problem. My desktop have xp and Vista 64 dual boot. Neither will install at all. When I click setup.exe it shows on the taskbar but the installation window won't pop up. In task manager it says the setup is "Not Responding". My computer spec:
Q6600@3.2Ghz, 4G@8500, 8800GTS

Odd thing is this game will install on my laptop from 2003, which is way too slow to play it however.

Another person has the same problem: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10734448

Icon5 King's Bounty Installation Problems
Just picked up a copy of King's Bounty and went to install it. Autoplay screen came up fine, and I clicked "Install", but nothing happened. THEN I looked down in the taskbar and saw that the install WAS apparently trying to run. Waited quite a while (half hour or so!!!) but nothing else happened.

Opened Windows TaskManager and saw that the setup was listed under Programs as "Not Responding". The only way I could exit was from there.

I tried rebooting, disabling anti-virus, firewall, etc, but all to no avail.

Also checked out the disk for dirt or scratches - NOTHING, but I cleaned it anyway.

Finally copied the contents of the disk to a folder on the hard drive with no problems. Tried running setup from HERE with the same results...

HELP!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------
You might try asking at this forum, too. link

It may have to do with the copy protection on the disc.
------------------------------------------------------
...OK, now get THIS!!! I have dual-boot on my machine - XP and Vista. I booted in XP and the game installed and ran FLAWLESSLY!!!

Not only that, but when I re-booted in Vista and located the executable where I had installed it in XP, it ran perfectly as well!!! And it even let me load a saved game from my session in XP.

I no longer have a problem with running the game, but I would STILL like to find out why it wouldn't install in Vista...

Anyone from production has any idea why this is happening?

Aery
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the problem is the same.
The demo works very fine ...
I really hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Sparhawk402
10-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Same problem here as well. Demo installs and works fine, but retail version setup.exe is not responding.
Windows XP SP3 dual nvidia 7800 GTX's
Any solutions?

neofit
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Same problem here. Purchased the digital download version from the Atari store. When I start the setup either from autorun or setup.exe directly, I hear a standard Windows chime and the icon for setup.exe appears in the taskbar, as if it were minimized, and no way to restore or maximize it to start the actual setup of the game. The demo ran fine. WinXP SP2.

dxdiag attached.

digitaljones
10-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I have the same issue. I just now ran setup.exe from a command window and it starting installing. Wonder if it will run? Ha! Windows XP SP3. I want to see if it will work in Vista 64bit too as I had the same issue on the same machine

digitaljones
10-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I was not able to install using setup.exe in a command window on Vista64bit but I was able to run the game using the Windows XP Pro SP3 install of KBTL. So I guess that is ok; the game does start just need to see how it runs now.

neofit
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
The sticky on this forum advised to email a dxdiag to support@1cpublishing.eu for a similar issue. Don't bother, they don't care, the answer I have received from 1C said to contact Atari since I have bought the game from their store. I don't care who is responsible for a simple piece of software like the installer, I have never had any problems with any of the hundreds I have launched over the years, if the issue is not resolved by the week-end I'll ask for a refund.

neofit
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I have solved the problem, not thanks to 1C nor Atari. To properly launch setup.exe, don't just double-click on it, but right-click, choose "Run As", then in the window that opens choose "Administrator". Never mind that you don't have a password for it, nor that in XP you don't even have a user named "Administrator" in your users list at launch, just do it and after the chime the setup window should appear. It installed fine on my machine, the serial was accepted, and the game started fine.

Last bit not least, a big "boooh" to the incompetent gits who try to emulate Vista's UAC in XP.

bsipe9
10-03-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm having the same problem, only with XP. Tried neofit's solution (not sure if that was only for Vista or not but tried anyhow) and it gives a logon failure.
I'm totally bummed.

mothman
10-03-2008, 01:45 AM
First of all let me state that I am no way affliated with 1C, or Atari. I just happen to be another consumer that is trying to help out other people that bought this game.

That being said...

For those that have tried installing Kings Bounty and have been unsuccesful then have you tried rebooting your computer and going into safe mode. From their try installing it.

You may have to choose Safe Mode with Networking but I would suggest try it without first.

Let me know if this helps.... In the meantime I will keep my brain thinkin...

bsipe9
10-03-2008, 01:56 AM
First of all let me state that I am no way affliated with 1C, or Atari. I just happen to be another consumer that is trying to help out other people that bought this game.

That being said...

For those that have tried installing Kings Bounty and have been unsuccesful then have you tried rebooting your computer and going into safe mode. From their try installing it.

You may have to choose Safe Mode with Networking but I would suggest try it without first.

Let me know if this helps.... In the meantime I will keep my brain thinkin...

Thanks for the thought, but it didn't help me. I'm convinced there is a common denominator amongst us that is causing the issue. I know in the past, some games just didn't like specific video cards. Or a service pack, or a video driver, or or or... so frustrating.

My system btw: AMD 2.4 ghz dual core, 2 GB ram, geforce 9600 gso, XP service pack 2.

mothman
10-03-2008, 02:10 AM
When you purchased KB from the Atari Digital download site does it download a single executable file? Or is it more packaged in several different files? I am trying to determine what practice they utilized in delivering this game to you.

If it is a single file can you right click on the file, select properties, and see more details? If applicable does the properties show an option to unblock?

neofit
10-03-2008, 03:17 PM
The download from the Atari site comes in the form or a self-extacting RAR, one .exe and then 8 .rar, sizes being 8x250MB + 85MB. When we extract it by using the first .exe or winrar itself, we get something that looks like the contents of a regular installation dvd, with autorun.* files, setup.exe, setup-*.bin, etc. It is when running this extracted setup.exe that problems occur.

@bsipe9: I am not very familiar with XP security, but it sounds like you are having problems authenticating as the "Administrator" user. I don't know where it is coming from, I have created my current user (not named "Administrator") when installing XP, and it is flagged as "Computer Administrator" (which gives him the right to "install program and access all files") if I go into Control Panel > User Accounts, yet I had to make a Run As "Administrator" to make the setup work, thank god it didn't ask for a password. You may want to google something like xp administrator password (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xp+administrator+password&btnG=Google+Search&aq=1&oq=%2Bxp+ad).

Now, with the game installed, if I run the extracted setup.exe it opens an 'uninstall' dialog, as a regular user, not ran as "Administrator".

edit: forgot to add:
I don't really feel like uninstalling to try again, who knows what may happen :). But one may try a right-click on setup.exe, Properties, Compatibility tab, then try various options of "Run this program in compatibility mode for". There is no option to "unblock"., whatever it is that may need unblocking :).

Also, this setup.exe bears Atari's copyright according to the Properties window, so it's only fair that 1C sent me to them for debugging.

bsipe9
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
@bsipe9: I am not very familiar with XP security, but it sounds like you are having problems authenticating as the "Administrator" user. I don't know where it is coming from, I have created my current user (not named "Administrator") when installing XP, and it is flagged as "Computer Administrator" (which gives him the right to "install program and access all files") if I go into Control Panel > User Accounts, yet I had to make a Run As "Administrator" to make the setup work, thank god it didn't ask for a password. You may want to google something like xp administrator password (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xp+administrator+password&btnG=Google+Search&aq=1&oq=%2Bxp+ad).

Now, with the game installed, if I run the extracted setup.exe it opens an 'uninstall' dialog, as a regular user, not ran as "Administrator".

edit: forgot to add:
I don't really feel like uninstalling to try again, who knows what may happen :). But one may try a right-click on setup.exe, Properties, Compatibility tab, then try various options of "Run this program in compatibility mode for". There is no option to "unblock"., whatever it is that may need unblocking :).

Lol, that last one did the trick. I ran it in Win98/ME compatibility and it's installing as I type. How wierd. As for the user setup, I have it the same as yours, I think. The only users I have listed in the User CP is mine (list as an admin) and guest. Of course, when I installed XP originally, I left the PW blank (I don't have to worry about security). I went ahead and created a PW just for kicks to test that as a solution and no go.

Anyhow, it looks like it's going to install at least. Now let's hope it's not riddled with bugs and such...

neofit
10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Glad it worked. After being mildly annoyed at the beginning because the release did not accept the demo savegames (and I've tried to dutifully clear up the first map), I am having a blast. Best game in a long time.

Sparhawk402
10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Lol, that last one did the trick. I ran it in Win98/ME compatibility and it's installing as I type. How wierd. As for the user setup, I have it the same as yours, I think. The only users I have listed in the User CP is mine (list as an admin) and guest. Of course, when I installed XP originally, I left the PW blank (I don't have to worry about security). I went ahead and created a PW just for kicks to test that as a solution and no go.

I tried these solutions but the setup still does not respond. I installed it to a laptop just fine. Any thoughts?

Sparhawk402
10-14-2008, 01:52 PM
So whats the deal? Is there any known solution yet for this bug? Or does Atari not give a load about this? I bought a brand new computer and it gave me the same setup.exe not responding. Can anyone suggest anything else other than what is posted?? Much appreciated

liorde
11-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Hello players.

I have tried the suggested solution regarding the Run As... option in Windows XP. I have SP3 installed, don't know if that makes any difference...
Anyway, When I choose Run As... and the user is Administrator, I cannot continue since Administrator does not have a password.

What's the deal with this user?? I looked it up on the web, and most sites say that Administrator's password is usually BLANK.
So I tried blank but that did not go as well...

Can anyone please advise..?

Thank-you.

gamerboots
11-11-2008, 05:02 AM
see my previous 2 posts - cant believe thiey would do this - but me and my friend will also be asking for a full refund ( not credit because then the company keeps the $ )
so far the only working version that I"m aware of is the older cd versions before the "latest" patch. Neither d2d, or gg or atair is apparently working.

liorde
11-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi gamerboots.

What other 2 posts do you mean ?
On this thread??

Thank-you.

gamerboots
11-11-2008, 09:05 AM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5308
and
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5296
I dont have a problem with the game installing , but it wont accept the activation keys -
I will try and use the compatibility mode for win98/xp and see if this changes things a little. I have noted that the manual unlock key changes with every click of a button - obviously , the problem with the digital distributions isn't installing , but playing the game as it wont get past the securom screen - It installs perfectly, but both d2d and gg will not accept the serials - Again , I will try and baby this software a little and see if it will install on the win98/ comapitibility and actually get past the activation screen. If it does work and then I'll retract my earlier statements and gladly send emails to their support teams with the solution - otherwise , I'lll be expecting either a patch or a refund

gamerboots
11-11-2008, 09:15 AM
here is what d2d guys get when they enter the code provided to them by d2d
looks like they will either have to take some risks and remove the offending securom crap, pre-activate the software, patch it , or give me and my buddies a nice refund.

gamerboots
11-11-2008, 09:23 AM
here is what gg buyers get when they enter their code

well I tried babying it , didn't work, whether I right or double click it the software installs fine, but still tells me my cd key has been activated when it hasn't - I 've had a lot of games , and NEVer HAD any problems with games running /activating from GG [ever]. I have contacted support and exepect an email from sometime tommorrow as they are very very fast about support issues. HOPefully they will remove the securom crap and it will work for everyone. if not, I'll request a refund or credit from them because I buy a lot from them anyway.. and its kinda odd that of all the games I have ever bought that were much much cheaper than this one that this one is only one that wont get past the activation stage
cheers

SBD
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
This is slightly OT as I own the Nobilis EU Collector's Edition version, but I am too lazy to create a new thread so here it goes. Has anyone here had any problems installing the EU version of KB:TL? Whenever I try to run the setup.exe and choose English, Francais or Espanol as a language, the setup.exe stops responding. The strange thing, however, is that if I choose Deutsche, the setup runs just fine (besides the fact that everything is in German).

Is this a copy protection issue? If I try to choose any language but German, the setup.exe does play the sound that plays when the EULA page should appear. After that sound, nothing else happens and after a few seconds taskmgr.exe shows that King's Bounty Setup is not responding.

I have Daemon Tools Lite, YASU and Alcohol 52% installed so maybe one of them are having disputes with the Securom protection, but you'd think it wouldn't let me install KB in German either if it was a Securom issue. Securom does, however, dislike the Daemon Tools as it won't let me start the game unless I run YASU even if I have the original disc in drive.

Since I can install and play the game (at least it starts, haven't yet tried playing it), I have not tried uninstalling Daemon Tools and Alcohol yet. So is this a known issue? Did the programming team forget to put a piece of code in the installer that would display an error message if emulation software is detected, or is this something else? The MD5 hash of my setup.exe is F82D9B84220FE6F9F85825B91AEAC2F3 (Nobilis 1.6.4).

EDIT: Ok, so apparently the German installer installs German sound files instead of English. Do I have to manually extract the English sound files from the .bin files in order to hear English sounds, or can the English sounds be enabled by modifying a configuration file? I know that the English text can be enabled in apps.ini. I guess I'm going to try uninstalling Daemon Tools and Alcohol afterall.

EDIT 2: Maybe I should have tried to actually play the game before asking for help, as it turned out that Daemon Tools was the reason the setup.exe wouldn't work correctly. I am now installing the game in English so it's looking good so far. Well, at least someone else may find this post helpful if he is having similar problems. And for the developers: Please, next time when you implement something, try to test it so that it actually works. Bugs in the game can be easily fixed by releasing patches (and I am glad to see you have released patches, thank you for that) but if there was a serious bug in the installer, the sales might take a critical hit.