PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Griffins... did I hallucinate?

JorisS
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi all,

started playing the game yesterday, haven't really gotten that far yet. Level 6 mage I believe, have done most in the initial map, and explored a bit in the swamp and Arlania.

The question: I am fairly convinced that at some point I visited a house or trader where I could recruit Griffins. However, my army was full at that time. Since then I've been trying to recall where it was, have searched through the map over and over but I just can't find it. Are some locations offering random units or do I simply keep on missing the right location in my search?

Anybody who knows?
Cheers
//Joris

Zhuangzi
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
You can buy Griffins from the castle near the entrance to Arlania. :cool:

I love them due to their huge movement. They need to be used wisely though because they get killed rather easily.

phoenixreborn
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I haven't started a new game yet, I thought it was supposed to randomize with each different character?

JorisS
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
You can buy Griffins from the castle near the entrance to Arlania. :cool:

I love them due to their huge movement. They need to be used wisely though because they get killed rather easily.

I'll have a look. Odd I couldn't find the place back :confused:
(you mean the castle is within the initial map, right? I haven't beaten the units guarding the blue tent yet, btw)

*edit*
What castle near the entrance to Arlania?!
Do you actually mean that blue tent? Other than that, I don't even see any castle?

Nike-it
09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll have a look. Odd I couldn't find the place back :confused:
(you mean the castle is within the initial map, right? I haven't beaten the units guarding the blue tent yet, btw)

*edit*
What castle near the entrance to Arlania?!
Do you actually mean that blue tent? Other than that, I don't even see any castle?

I think he meant the castle in Arlania map. You will see it as you enter Arlania.

JorisS
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Ah ok. Well that's the one I vaguely recalled being the place. Castle Netvill. But he only has dragonflies, swordsmen and bears :(

ureal
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
you can also go to the island full Griffins, they have eggs you can hatch as well as being neutral troops. Its off the cost of Arlania

Falconhurst
09-30-2008, 04:33 AM
What troops are in what castle or settlement is randomized each game.

daydreamer
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
you can also go to the island full Griffins, they have eggs you can hatch as well as being neutral troops. Its off the cost of Arlania

And once you finish the quest for the king of Griffins you can recruit the creatures from him and also buy some eggs (portable recruiting items FTW!).

Kolorabi
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I need more griffins for my army. I've exhausted Argus' castle and Captain Hook's Tavern. Anyone know where I can find more? Preferably without stealing their eggs, I mean... :)

Edit: Sorry, I see this was answered in another sub-forum. I guess I'll have to build up the courage to do that griffin quest. :)

Edit 2: I see my post was moved to this thread, so now it looks extra silly. I'll try to be more useful in the future. :)

Zhuangzi
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes it was Castle Netvill that had the griffins in my game. I had forgotten that you can get more from the Griffin king - completely forgotten about that. There's so much to do in this game that you can't remember everything (this is why we need a search function). I loved using the griffins but I ran out of places to get them so I moved on to other units.

I also LOVE royal snakes. Is there somewhere that has an unlimited supply? One of the castles in Marshan Swamp had a lot (maybe 600) but they ran out eventually. :-x

Antiga
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I've been watching this and some other topics for a couple of days, and I can't believe I actually made an account now, so that I may tell you of something that may come as a huge suprise.

Almost everything is RANDOM. It's no use asking other people where they got griffins. This randomness ruins half the game, though adds in replay value.

Some places will always offer the same, The castle you start out at gives peasants, bowmen and swordsmen. They restock and can even gain more units after certain quests. But most places it's completely random. Those places have picked from a pool of units, items and scrolls. Seems netvill is also random, I was never able to get griffins from there.

Royal snakes I found at the Menagerie in starter area(Though not the 2nd game), and alot in the swamps. One of the 2 castles had about 2000, and the talking treehouse after you do the quest had alot. This still doesn't mean anything, it'd most likely be *possible* that you would never ever be able to hire a single royal snake again - Due to the random factor.

I am wondering if anyone else was able to hire Black Dragon's in Land of Death somewhat close to the Tree of death up the hills/mountains. Their great.

One thing this game should be improved upon is having access to more of the weaker/basic units earlier in the game. Else they just become obsolete.. I always wanted to use Dryads or even furious goblins.. Till I was able to hire them - Then they were useless as I had finally found other units.

taltamir
12-13-2008, 02:39 AM
the only non random griffin source is king harl (king of the griffins), after you do a quest for him he will sell you griffins and eggs... I am ALMOST tempted to steal the eggs and murder their gaurdians for the XP and the eggs... but it is just too mean :P

lauvhk
12-13-2008, 04:57 AM
There are 2 Griffin Eggs ready for grabbing without triggering any Griffin guards changing alignment.

There is also one Griffin Egg available in the Valley of Thousand River in Ellinia but that's pretty far off the table.