PDA

View Full Version : Why is the F86 so slow?

Raven Morpheus
07-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Hello

I thought I'd have a go in the F86 and so I downloaded the campaign called Honcho and CY6's Korea map.

However, having looked at Wikipedia I am left wondering why the F86 is so slow. The most I can get out of it is 630mph but that was in a dive from about 6000ft to about 3000ft. When going in a straight line at about 5000-6000ft all I could get out of it is 300-400mph.

Wikipedia states -

Maximum speed: 687 mph (1,106 km/h) at sea level at 14,212 lb (6,447 kg) combat weight
also reported 678 mph (1,091 km/h) and 599 at 35,000 feet (11,000 m) at 15,352 pounds (6,960 kg). (597 knots (1,106 km/h) at 6446 m, 1,091 and 964 km/h at 6,960 m.)

So why is the F86 in IL2 200mph-300mph slower than it should be?

IceFire
07-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Hello

I thought I'd have a go in the F86 and so I downloaded the campaign called Honcho and CY6's Korea map.

However, having looked at Wikipedia I am left wondering why the F86 is so slow. The most I can get out of it is 630mph but that was in a dive from about 6000ft to about 3000ft. When going in a straight line at about 5000-6000ft all I could get out of it is 300-400mph.

Wikipedia states -

So why is the F86 in IL2 200mph-300mph slower than it should be?
You'd have to ask the MOD folks who programmed it. It's not an official aircraft...

Also are you sure you're reading the speed right. Indicated Air Speed (IAS) is what shows on the cockpit gauges and True Air Speed (TAS) is what shows on the "wonder woman" invisible cockpit view. IAS and TAS are the same at sea level but diverge increasingly as altitude increases (and air density decreases).

Top speeds of aircraft are all given in TAS which makes this a fairly common complaint. I'm not sure if that's the case with the modded F-86 but my guess is that it could be.

K_Freddie
07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Icefire means that Indicated Airspeed (IAS) is less than True Airspeed (TAS) at altitudes > 0, the higher you go the more the divergence between the two.

It does not mean that you're flying slower - there should be a IAS/TAS vs altitude chart for the a/c that you can consult, to get an idea of the relationship between the two indicators.
;)

Raven Morpheus
07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
You'd have to ask the MOD folks who programmed it. It's not an official aircraft...

Also are you sure you're reading the speed right. Indicated Air Speed (IAS) is what shows on the cockpit gauges and True Air Speed (TAS) is what shows on the "wonder woman" invisible cockpit view. IAS and TAS are the same at sea level but diverge increasingly as altitude increases (and air density decreases).

Top speeds of aircraft are all given in TAS which makes this a fairly common complaint. I'm not sure if that's the case with the modded F-86 but my guess is that it could be.

Hmm. I thought it came with 1946. Just checked a clean 4.11.1 install and it's not in there so yes it must be from the modpacks I've been using then, I've used UP and now HSFX. It's been so long since I played stock IL2 1946 that I forget what's been added to it.

What do you mean by "wonder woman" invisible cockpit view? I'm looking at the speed in mph on the little hud in the bottom left corner (think it's referred to as the speed bar?) btw.

Icefire means that Indicated Airspeed (IAS) is less than True Airspeed (TAS) at altitudes > 0, the higher you go the more the divergence between the two.

It does not mean that you're flying slower - there should be a IAS/TAS vs altitude chart for the a/c that you can consult, to get an idea of the relationship between the two indicators.
;)

I see. Any idea where I can find an altitude chart for the F86?

majorfailure
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I see. Any idea where I can find an altitude chart for the F86?

It is not plane specific, but temperature dependant.
Try this(not tried myself, just googled it):
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

WonderWomanView refers to the no cockpit view, where everything is transparent. Speed gauge there displays TAS.

Raven Morpheus
07-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Try this(not tried myself, just googled it):
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

Thanks I'll try that.

WonderWomanView refers to the no cockpit view, where everything is transparent. Speed gauge there displays TAS.

Oh I see. Yes I've come across that view whilst accidentally cycling through views once, don't know how though. I usually keep it in cockpit view and occasionally use the views linked to F2, F3 or F8.

K_Freddie
07-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Sorry the Major is right.. I'm just used to seeing it in the a/c manual.. :)