PDA

View Full Version : Does this game use SecurROM?

cstu78
09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198136.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=morenews&tag=morenews;title;1

Yes it does.. I see the damn securom folder on my Harddrive.. I am deleting this and getting my $ back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/138777-45-remove-left-over-securrom-files-hard-drive

phoenixreborn
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
It's not like they were hiding it...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=3872&page=2

It will use SecuRom both in USA and Europe.

Where I live you can not return opened software for your money back. Good luck with that.

Imperial Dane
09-26-2008, 06:10 PM
What is it with people and securom ?.. it mean it isn't starforce.. *sigh* Suppose some people are just whiny..

Besides the only problem i can foresee is one with programs most often used with illegal copies..

pkt-zer0
09-26-2008, 06:19 PM
What is it with people and securom ?.. it mean it isn't starforce.. *sigh* Suppose some people are just whiny..
Let's suppose that some people do not like paying for the privilege of possibly getting screwed, while pirates don't have to put up with that stuff at all.
Also, see here (http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/idiocy-of-games-drm.ars) for a more detailed explanation.

Besides the only problem i can foresee is one with programs most often used with illegal copies..
Yeah, like anti-virus software, or ones that allow you to make a backup copy of a game you own.

Imperial Dane
09-26-2008, 06:40 PM
oh please.. it's just a system to enter a cd key with.. just like before everybody got worked up into a frenzy about all that nonsense..

Zhuangzi
09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
The Gamersgate version doesn't have Securom, does it? :confused:

Imperial Dane
09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Does it matter ? It's just a simple system.. just like in times of old.. it's been here for ages.. it's only lately that people have become all hysterical and begun to freak out over it..

Kolorabi
09-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree, it's time people stop being so childish. I hate these internet bandwagons. First it was Starforce, now it's Securom, who knows what the heck it is next year.

pkt-zer0
09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
The Gamersgate version doesn't have Securom, does it? :confused:
It does.
oh please.. it's just a system to enter a cd key with.. just like before everybody got worked up into a frenzy about all that nonsense..
If it was just a simple system to enter a CD key with, it wouldn't conflict with anti-virus or cd burning software, disable optical drives, make your system fail so spectacularly nothing short of a complete reformat will fix it, or, in the best case scenario, simply stop you from playing the game you bought. (This is where you'll go "so what? It's just 40 bucks out the window, nothing to cry over", I imagine)
Or, you can just download a version without DRM and not have to deal with the above.

Doesn't that seem the least bit backwards? Wouldn't it be great if the version you actually paid for was the one that worked better and didn't screw up your computer? Fun thing being, it doesn't stop piracy at all, it only harms people who bought the game. Can you honestly say that "yes, that's how it should be"?

Zhuangzi
09-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for that info, pkt-zer0. I had no idea about Securom on the Gamersgate version. Normally I'd be more annoyed about this, for the reasons you mentioned, but I have had Bioshock installed on my computer for about 12 months now, and I've had no ill effects.

Can you tell me what some of the problems that Securom can cause are? Do we really need to be getting as upset about it as we did with Starforce? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

pkt-zer0
09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Can you tell me what some of the problems that Securom can cause are?
Those I've listed above, though it's dependent on the variant of SecuROM used (I don't that was clarified yet, actually). Digital downloads would only have online activation, so optical drive related problems would not surface there. Last game I've bought that used this would not install unless I turned the anti-virus off, though. There's the obvious limitation of being tied to the activation servers, so you'll only be able to install it as long as they're up. I'd think that'll get removed eventually, as the devs did the same in Russian version. Overall, I'd say the worst case would be being unable to activate the game due to SecuROM not working as it should, and having to bug customer support about it. (Of course, no software is perfect, it's that DRM is an additional and completely unnecessary source of errors.)

For the boxed version, the full list of possibilities apply.

Do we really need to be getting as upset about it as we did with Starforce? :confused:
You don't need to get upset about it, but if you do, and manage to be entertaining at the same time, then do post it on youtube, like this guy (http://tinyurl.com/5hbzeb) (WARNING: heavy swearing).

Kidding aside, it's not as bad as Starforce, though that's not saying much. It's still pretty buggy in general, doing more harm than good. Installing software to Ring 0, creating hidden and undeletable files without the user's knowledge is shady business - absurdly enough, it has come to a point where it's easier to trust the cracker groups than the publishers rigging such measures onto their software.

vgsloki
09-28-2008, 04:37 AM

Thumbs up -- I agree!!!