PDA

View Full Version : Warrior, Paladin, Mage (info, strategy, hints, etc.)

Spiralkill
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
so far from the demo I was most impressed with the Paladin of all, he might not be as strong with rage as the warrior or as strong in magic as the Mage but at least in the demo i was able to get the highest leadership with him (probably the game is different) and he is the most versatile with the skills due to the ability to get 10 might and 10 magic runes in exchange for 10 mind runes (also might and magic runes are easier to get by in the demo via the skill and will tests).

So what class are u going to play?

Daedalus
09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Mage most likely, incinerating stuff with mass damage spells is always a turn on in my book :)

Zhuangzi
09-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Tough decision. I like the Warrior actually (gets Rage very quickly) but the Mage is cool too. And the Paladin looks like it might be okay as well (see the thread on this for some reasons why).

Oh well, looks like I will have to play the game 3 times. :cool:

jake21
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Tough decision. I like the Warrior actually (gets Rage very quickly) but the Mage is cool too. And the Paladin looks like it might be okay as well (see the thread on this for some reasons why).

Oh well, looks like I will have to play the game 3 times. :cool:

One thing I Noticed is that the skill tree differs slightly by the class you play. Did anyone else notice this? Btw I think I'll probably go with mage but maybe paladin. Not warrior.

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I think each class has 2 unique skills in their privileged tree.

Nike-it
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I think each class has 2 unique skills in their privileged tree.

You are absolutely right.
Warrior: "Iron Fist" and "Anger"
Paladin: "Holy anger" and "Rune stone"
Mage: "Higher Magic" and "Alchemy"

Imperial Dane
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Well when i do finally get my hands on the game i'm going to play a paladin, while the other two classes are fun as well, i really want to play through the first time as a paladin.

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I think I'll play Warrior.
In HOMM, warriors were less interesting to play than mages, because they had just a stronger army.
The mages had more diversity in their fight because of their many spells.
In KB, Warriors seem to had their own specificities that add variety in their fights, thanks to the skill tree and the rage spells.

jWTFz
09-24-2008, 01:29 AM
I'n thinking Mage myself. If nothing else, his bonus skills seems to give him the most dramatic advantage compared to the others... I mean, Higher Magic gives 2 spells per turn. It practically doubles his firepower.

I do worry about the lack of Rage buildup with the mage though. Even with mostly ranged units, in most fights in the demo my units barely managed to hit once before the enemy died. I makes for very little rage, I am worried that I won't get to see all the rage skills as a mage. The rage experience skill will propably have to be maxed ASAP. Perhaps I'd even have to use Order magic instead of Chaos to make the battles last longer... but where is the fun in that? :-P

Still, I'd say the mage is worth it just for the fact that he seems to have the fastest gameplay of the tree. In the demo I finished most battles with him in half the time.

Zhuangzi
09-24-2008, 01:41 AM
It shows how well balanced this game is that I've no idea which class is 'best.' IMO it was an excellent design decision to put the rage box in the Warrior tech tree, so that he doesn't have to rely on brute force alone. I actually found it easiest to play the demo with the Warrior (on Hard) because you could get the Horsemen and Knights, which are very strong, and build up your rage without losing any troops (providing you have at least a healing spell).

On the other hand, the Paladin is excellent due to his large Leadership and I presume later on because of his ability to barter at a better rate. I think I will take him for my first game. I found in the demo that I was struggling on Hard with the Mage a little. He was having a hard time getting through the early fights to upgrade his spells. I get the feeling that on hard the Mage might not be the best choice, at least not early in the game.

Newbie1234
09-24-2008, 01:46 AM
I'll probably start with a Paladin or Mage and play on Hard.

phoenixreborn
09-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Warrior normal.

stupidface
09-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi!

I'm having a lot of trouble playing as a Paladin on Hard (full version.) My troop consists mainly of Humanoids (Peasants, Archers, Monks, Barbarians, Swordsmen) and I'm having a terrible time in fights. I still haven't been able to unlock Knights/Horsemen because the enemy guarding the tent is rated "Impossible." Likewise, exploring any of the nearby territories is difficult because there are very FEW enemies left that are rated "weak." Most are rated as matches or stronger - and I know that if I fight anything other than weaks, I'm going to lose a ton of troops, and then have nothing left to recruit apart from animals.
So I don't know what to do at this point to continue moving forward with my army. :( I have a ton of money, but nothing worthwhile to spend it on; I could buy equipment items, but would they really make any difference in a me-versus-"strong" battle?
I feel like there's very little left for me to do unless I can raise a substantial number of quality troops - but of course, as a Paladin, I can't raise too many at once.
The "home castle" with King Darion has already run out of everything but Peasants.

The only spell I've learnt is "Healing." I didn't spend my runes too wisely - I focused on mind buffs instead of magic buffs. :( I was hoping to get the "Tolerance" power so that I could replace some of my troop with Ghosts or Vampires - but I fear that I'll lose them quickly too, especially as I seem to be facing a lot of monks in battles lately.

Well I guess that's it - I just don't really know how to progress. All of my quests tell me to attack someone I cannot possibly defeat. All of my "fetch" quests I've done by waiting for the overpowering enemies to travel far enough along their path that I can sneak through.

So what now?

Thanks! :) Fun game - but hard!

Munch10
09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I agree Paladin can be more difficult getting started than Mage or Warrior. If you haven't already focus on doing the King's quests - that line leads to getting the rage box. That's crucial for the Paladin in the early going to give you a good strong damage dealer. Also, I understand (though I can't confirm yet) that when you complete the main quest lines it causes the troops in the castle to replentish. I'm about to finish the 2nd king's quest and I was able to do this one with literally no fighting (just had to dodge some of the troops).

I'm trying to work directly to the 'trade 10 runes for 10 might and 10 magic runes' ability to see if I can buff up that way - not sure yet if it will work.

So, anyway, if you haven't done the king's quests yet, get on those and see how much the rage box helps to even things out.

-Munch

hawker
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I think you made a mistake starting the game as Hard as your first playthrough. Hard is hard. Do explore everywhere you can without fighting anyone or fighting weaker enemies; be sure to buy a boat also.

Human troops aren't actually that great, so it's a good thing you're running out. If they were good, then there wouldn't be much point in other units, would there? :) Toss out the monks (they're pretty terrible except for against undead), and instead, for example, get some bears, or blue (royal) snakes from the swamp if your game has them.

Make liberal use of the Slow spell and focus attacks on one stack at a time. Remember you can Wait to let the enemy make their move first. Most of the stacks you'll fight in the game will be even, hard or very hard.

Sammual
09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Does anyone know of a site that shows the skill trees and the skills?

I am stuck at work for a few more hours and want to plan out my character.

If anyone could post screen shots, skill descriptions, and costs that would be great.

Thanks all,
Sammual

pkt-zer0
09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2299
http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2302
http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2303

Use Google translate or the translator of your choice.

stupidface
09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi, thanks for your tips! :)

I am a big fan of the original "King's Bounty" so I thought it was safe to play on Hard here too!

I managed to find a few more weak enemies, and also to find the crashed dirigible, which allowed me to (SPOILER AHEAD) get to the island with the first boss and once defeating him and returning for the quest reward I had enough experience to become level 6.

This caused the home kingdom to replenish its stocks of human troop, thus letting me rebuild my army. A good thing too - after the battle with the boss, I had only two dwarves left! So far, they seem to be my best unit, but I can only have a few at a time. All-in-all, it seems my peasants do a lot more damage than anything else - I just have to keep them alive. :)

So for anyone having the same trouble as me, I would suggest to just keep doing the King's Quests (Graham, Look out, a poisonous snake!) and eventually you will beat the boss and then get more troops. :)

I'll start trying to find some better troops. I really like the idea of replenishing life and "recruiting the dead" that Undead and Werewolf troops can do, but so far I have not been able to recruit many of these sorts of units. I will get some Royal Snakes as you suggest. :)

Any other troops suggestions?

Okay, thanks, bye!

Bonar
09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
If you manage to get to an or settlement (the first is orc embassy in freedom island). Get Orc Shaman, best unit in their race so far. They don't have range attack, but the totems and dancing axe skill is very very usefull. I liberally use their totems skill many times as they can serve as distraction, most enemy will tend to target them first and wasting their turn. And if the totem lucky enough to survive by the end of the next turn, it will cast AoE damage or heal depend on the totem you use. The dancing axe is very nice, any damage to living creature will give major heal to all friendlies.

Giants are nice, but not much as they only can move 1 cell. The running skill compesate for this, then the earthquake which damage any nearby troop; the nearer they are the more damage they receive. I sometime use them as bait for enemies to gather around then do earthquake.

Black dragons, these are very nice unit. Expensive and demand lots of leadership points. Their firebreath attack can reach two cell within line of fire. Also the ability that fire everything in their path is very usefull if you are lucky enough to have multiple enemies in it's line of flight. Black dragons have less hp than giants though.

Amamake
09-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Paladins start with a Resurrection scroll in the spellbook. Scribe it if you haven't already. It makes early game so much easier.

Any other troops suggestions?

Go to the swamp and ask the resident paladin there to show you his "special stock". If you are lucky he might have some Inquisitors for sale.

Zhuangzi
09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
*Okay, this post is full of spoilers.*

Hi stupidface (no insult intended :-P), I am playing as a Hard Paladin as well and I'm currently level six.

Without bragging, and with respect to hawker's wisdom, I am actually finding the game (gasp) a little too easy right now. :confused:

The only rough patch I had was when I first entered Arlania looking for the royal seal quest. There are plenty of nasty troops around that could munch my then level 4 Paladin. I found that upgrading the Scouting skill to its max was PRIORITY ONE as it allows you to see exactly how many troops you will be fighting against. Very important. As you become familiar with the enemies you will be able to tell whether you can take them down or not. The estimate of strength is not very accurate as I don't think it takes into account your spells/rage, nor your superior intellect compared with the computer. :-P Thus I am finding that 'Slightly stronger' enemies are often quite easy to beat.

Okay, so how did I get from struggling on level 4 to cruising on level 6? Firstly, you need the ragebox. Now. There is a thread about how to get this up and running if you haven't do so already. I have the first two rage demons serving me - the fire one and the poison one. The problem the Paladin has is that it is hard for him to access the Chaos spells early on. There is a prerequisite that is very expensive. Consequently, I still don't have Chaos magic. This is very bad without the ragebox, as you are relying entirely on your brute strength to defeat enemies. And this means heavy losses. The only attacking spells I have at the moment are Magic Pole Axe and Pain Mirror (which requires the enemy to hit you first).

Once you've got the ragebox and unlocked the first two demons (which is easy to do) things will get much better. I found that I could make a LOT of money and get a lot of experience by cruising around Arlania, Verlon Forest and to a lesser extent Marshan Swamp picking up all the goodies. It is especially good when you have a boat to go around the coast/islands with. There is plenty of money and easy fights available. I always had stuff to spent the money on but I am finding that there is JUST enough to see me through. There are heaps of easy fed-ex style quests to complete.

To my surprise I found that I was able to defeat the giant turtle fairly easily (this is on Hard remember). Oh, I am still using the humans alot too. My leadership is at around 1600 which allows for something like 60 Swordsmen, 27 Ancient Bears (love these guys), 5 Knights (but I can't find a place to buy more), 18 Inquisitors (again, I need more) and 5 Mages (I don't think that's their name - the guys who can cast the defensive spell or the teleportation). Add that to level 2 Order and Distortion spells, plus ragebox with two demons, and I'm in business. Marshan Swamp looks very tough though - especially the graveyard area.

I love this game. :grin:

stupidface
09-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Hmm, do you think that I should have totally phased out Peasants from my army by now?

My Leadership is in the mid 2000's, and I have over 500 peasants. They hit for a lot of damage, but of course they are usually whittled down before they can be of much use.

Zhuangzi
09-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Hmm, do you think that I should have totally phased out Peasants from my army by now?

My Leadership is in the mid 2000's, and I have over 500 peasants. They hit for a lot of damage, but of course they are usually whittled down before they can be of much use.

Well, I'm not sure, but I don't like peasants because they are slow and don't have any special abilities. Basically I think it's more cost effective to buy less stronger units that can actually withstand the enemy attack. Then of course you've got to keep them alive. ;)

hawker
09-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Peasants have a banding bonus, every +30 peasants in stack gives +1 to their attack (up to +10)

Nike-it
09-26-2008, 06:13 AM
All discussions about classes in KB will be stored here.

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-26-2008, 10:58 PM
The IA versus shaman totems is kind of odd.
They'll almost always attack them, wasting their turn as Bonar said... The presence of shamans on your army make battles much easier.
My army is specialized on distant fight (cyclops, evil beholders, catapults...), and the totems help me a lot doing massive damages before the enemy reaches me.

Tibster
09-27-2008, 04:02 AM
U can get the same result with Peace + Target spells !

Tonbo
09-27-2008, 01:38 PM
What is the max level of a player character? :)

Amamake
09-27-2008, 05:04 PM
What is the max level of a player character? :)

30, I believe. Same for the Spirits.

LiveInABox
09-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I dont know who to play through as! warrior or mage. i wanna cast good spells but i also want good leadership to get some of the best units! hard choice..

Spiralkill
09-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I dont know who to play through as! warrior or mage. i wanna cast good spells but i also want good leadership to get some of the best units! hard choice..

So go Paladin.

just started my 2nd run of the game and i still believe that if u are playing on hard/imposible he is the best option if u want to have both options.
even in low setting (normal and easy) he is great since he gets the extra 30 might and magic Runes which allow u to go deeper into the warrior and mage skill trees.

Spiralkill
09-30-2008, 03:45 AM
30, I believe. Same for the Spirits.

its not capped on 30 but i dont think that u can actually reach a higher lvl (exp point of view) since in order to reach lvl 31 u need the same amount of exp it took u to get from lvl 1 to 30.

kennec
09-30-2008, 08:24 AM
where do i find Inquisitors ?

i am in dwarfland lvl 15 and so far i have seen 7 for sale in tower in march early on.

daydreamer
09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
where do i find Inquisitors ?

i am in dwarfland lvl 15 and so far i have seen 7 for sale in tower in march early on.

If you are lvl 15 already and wanted inquisitors you should already have gotten that skill that allows you to upgrade priests into inquisitors.
A place to get them would be the Swamps in the Darion continent, from Furious Paladin (unless you turned him into undead) or the Temple of Lost Souls (or Deceased Souls don't really remember the exact name) which is south of Furious Paladin.

kennec
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
i need my runes for magic skills. they cost crazy.

ty for help

Tibster
10-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Actualy if u are luky and find a sacrifice spell u dont need the inquisitor skill!

Jem
10-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I loved KB back when I was a kid, HOMM helped me continue the flame for good turn-based strategy game. The KB:TL demo was really cool to begin with, nothing more can be said abt that. But I find it a huge disappointment later in the game; not only the non-replayable factor, the basic player class are just too blindly similar.

Each of the class shld have distinct AND powerful abilities.

Warrior Class
2 words: Brute force. Warriors should have very strong Attack &/or Defence advances after each level up. And at least +2 for both Attack/Defence should be a given for each levelup even when the user chooses neither. And addition +2 for the picked upgrade.

Mage Class
Mage shld be have same power as Warrior in magical sense to make these 2 classes even and worth playing. I had thought this is being addressed with the [Higher Magic] attribute, but it merely boosts spell casting to 2 per turn and max 3 times per battle is laughable. There should be at least spell level 4 upgrades for Mages, setting it distinctly apart from other classes. By level 4, there should introduce mass effects for most if not all of the spells, other than even more powerful spells. There should be endless spell casting in entire battle for mages and increase from basic 2x per turn to 3 on+after level10, 4x on+after level20, 5x at level30 (can cast spell at each unit turn).

Paladin Class
Paladin being the mix of warrior & mage can be hard to balance with other classes. The focus being on [Mind] should be natively enhancing own troops' use of their ability; like Mage's [Higher Magic] ability, but enhances each unit's unique non-rechargeable spell/skills in each battle to 2x after Paladin's new ability upgrade, and 4x on+after level10, 8x on+after level20, 16x on+after level30. Battles that take more than 16 turns & use of unit spell/skill is too long in my opinion, well I could be wrong as everyone's style of play is different.

The above is just building on top of the existing game features, so it won't be hard to implement as patch or addon to enhance gameplay. But after playing through entire game once, replaying again the same thing all over again is most dry and tasteless... but either way, this would be a great enhancement to this already great game. There are even more desireable game features which will totally set this game apart from other turn-based games but let's not go there here.

Jem

P.S. there's a minor error/bug(?) where Lake Dragonfly has mixed up hover description/tip for Weakness & Fire Resistance.

Amamake
10-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I loved KB back when I was a kid, HOMM helped me continue the flame for good turn-based strategy game. The KB:TL demo was really cool to begin with, nothing more can be said abt that. But I find it a huge disappointment later in the game; not only the non-replayable factor, the basic player class are just too blindly similar.

Each of the class shld have distinct AND powerful abilities.

Warrior Class
2 words: Brute force. Warriors should have very strong Attack &/or Defence advances after each level up. And at least +2 for both Attack/Defence should be a given for each levelup even when the user chooses neither. And addition +2 for the picked upgrade.

Mage Class
Mage shld be have same power as Warrior in magical sense to make these 2 classes even and worth playing. I had thought this is being addressed with the [Higher Magic] attribute, but it merely boosts spell casting to 2 per turn and max 3 times per battle is laughable. There should be at least spell level 4 upgrades for Mages, setting it distinctly apart from other classes. By level 4, there should introduce mass effects for most if not all of the spells, other than even more powerful spells. There should be endless spell casting in entire battle for mages and increase from basic 2x per turn to 3 on+after level10, 4x on+after level20, 5x at level30 (can cast spell at each unit turn).

Paladin Class
Paladin being the mix of warrior & mage can be hard to balance with other classes. The focus being on [Mind] should be natively enhancing own troops' use of their ability; like Mage's [Higher Magic] ability, but enhances each unit's unique non-rechargeable spell/skills in each battle to 2x after Paladin's new ability upgrade, and 4x on+after level10, 8x on+after level20, 16x on+after level30. Battles that take more than 16 turns & use of unit spell/skill is too long in my opinion, well I could be wrong as everyone's style of play is different.

The above is just building on top of the existing game features, so it won't be hard to implement as patch or addon to enhance gameplay. But after playing through entire game once, replaying again the same thing all over again is most dry and tasteless... but either way, this would be a great enhancement to this already great game. There are even more desireable game features which will totally set this game apart from other turn-based games but let's not go there here.

Jem

P.S. there's a minor error/bug(?) where Lake Dragonfly has mixed up hover description/tip for Weakness & Fire Resistance.

Admittedly, classes do look somewhat simular on paper, but the game they play dramatically different. Warrior could never annihilate Karador using a single stack of green dragons, since he wont ever have enough runes, intelligence and skills. Mage isn't even a half as effective with rage offensive abilities. Paladin's strengths are order magic and that he isn't as terrible at rage and leadership as Mage is.

Classes are fine as they are. (Though I do hope we'll see something entirely different in the expansion).

Darkhon
10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I think it would be hard for me to play as anything but a Mage.

The first time I was playing, I kind of screwed up and focused on sort of a Paladin (Even though I was a mage) and played someone who tried to do all three skill trees in the middle. In that game, it has played a lot different the second time. I got early access to a "Summon Pheonix" spell and I basically used that to win most battles. This time I haven't been as lucky, but I have been rocking anyway.

my favorite tactic so far is to sit back with one or two combat troops and the rest as magi or archers and blast. Meanwhile every turn I do magic and rage. I can't see how I would do that as a Warrior or a Paladin really.

I actually kind of feel bad when I lose an Archmage or something in battle.

One interesting tactic, and this is probably well known to many of you but here it is again:

1. Don't kill all the weak enemies in the starting area. Leave a few buzzing around.

2. Early on, if a merchant has 7 druids and you think you may want druids later, or you can steal a few griffin eggs without angering the griffin mountain, go ahead and put 1 of each of these troops in a garrison some place (don't forget where).

3. Get the Chaos Magic Skill "Sacrifice". This may be hard to do, take a little searching.

4. Go buy a bunch of cheap units like peasents or cheap thornguys. I am not sure if it really matters which one is most optimal. cheap is good. Make sure to bring that 1 special unit from your garrison with you.

5. Go into battle with the weak enemies. kill most of them, leave a few alive. You want to make the battle last a while so you can cast Sacrifice every turn chewing up the peasent stack and converting it to your new stack of killer griffins or druids or whatever.

I some times even make an extra batch or two of replacements.

I am sure later I will find some one who sells the cool units I need, but I do not care.

Spiralkill
10-08-2008, 03:58 AM
I think it would be hard for me to play as anything but a Mage.

The first time I was playing, I kind of screwed up and focused on sort of a Paladin (Even though I was a mage) and played someone who tried to do all three skill trees in the middle. In that game, it has played a lot different the second time. I got early access to a "Summon Pheonix" spell and I basically used that to win most battles. This time I haven't been as lucky, but I have been rocking anyway.

my favorite tactic so far is to sit back with one or two combat troops and the rest as magi or archers and blast. Meanwhile every turn I do magic and rage. I can't see how I would do that as a Warrior or a Paladin really.

I actually kind of feel bad when I lose an Archmage or something in battle.

One interesting tactic, and this is probably well known to many of you but here it is again:

1. Don't kill all the weak enemies in the starting area. Leave a few buzzing around.

2. Early on, if a merchant has 7 druids and you think you may want druids later, or you can steal a few griffin eggs without angering the griffin mountain, go ahead and put 1 of each of these troops in a garrison some place (don't forget where).

3. Get the Chaos Magic Skill "Sacrifice". This may be hard to do, take a little searching.

4. Go buy a bunch of cheap units like peasents or cheap thornguys. I am not sure if it really matters which one is most optimal. cheap is good. Make sure to bring that 1 special unit from your garrison with you.

5. Go into battle with the weak enemies. kill most of them, leave a few alive. You want to make the battle last a while so you can cast Sacrifice every turn chewing up the peasent stack and converting it to your new stack of killer griffins or druids or whatever.

I some times even make an extra batch or two of replacements.

I am sure later I will find some one who sells the cool units I need, but I do not care.

Yes sacrifice is probably the most broken spell in the game since it negates the problem of getting unlimited amount of strong units and one of the best part of it is that it actually works on units that cannot be resurrected (sacrifice something so get the lost unrestricted back and then resurrect the sacrificed).

Saridu
10-08-2008, 04:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a creature level cap per level of chaos magic introduced onto sacrifice on the next patch or a "cannot raise more units than which started the battle" clause

uwallah
10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm playing with a mage in normal difficulty, and it is really easy.

If you have a little luck, and get good spells early, you can kill much tougher enemies than your level or army predicts.

At the first levels, fireball is awesome.
After you find demon gate,you can win entire combats without an army! You just need 5 1 pcs. units (like thorns) to survive the first round and after that the demons take care of the enemy. The losses doesn't matter, and you can use magic spring to replenish your mana and summon an other stack if one or two isn't enough.

Firestorm is an another kickass spell. At 20. lvl there is no army what can survive 4 from those in 2 rounds (3-4k damage/pcs)

Now I'm at level 25 with an army of demons, red dragons, archdevils and other high HP units. If some of them actually dies, it is easy to get them back: Hypnotise an enemy unit, and then sacrifice them... Double win! :evil:

Zhuangzi
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm playing with a mage in normal difficulty, and it is really easy.

If you have a little luck, and get good spells early, you can kill much tougher enemies than your level or army predicts.

At the first levels, fireball is awesome.
After you find demon gate,you can win entire combats without an army! You just need 5 1 pcs. units (like thorns) to survive the first round and after that the demons take care of the enemy. The losses doesn't matter, and you can use magic spring to replenish your mana and summon an other stack if one or two isn't enough.

Firestorm is an another kickass spell. At 20. lvl there is no army what can survive 4 from those in 2 rounds (3-4k damage/pcs)

Now I'm at level 25 with an army of demons, red dragons, archdevils and other high HP units. If some of them actually dies, it is easy to get them back: Hypnotise an enemy unit, and then sacrifice them... Double win! :evil:

Totally agree. As far I am concerned the Mage owns this game, hands down. I have just completed my second game on Hard and it was MUCH easier as a Mage compared to a Paladin.

Why?

Because of SPELLS. In my opinion Order is not needed, but Distortion in the early game and Chaos in the late game own everything. I barely used the Ragebox for most of the game, mainly just Soul Drain for massive stacks and Time Back. Sometimes Glot's Armor. But my rage was only 50 at the end and I didn't need any more.

What you've got to do as a Mage is raise your intellect as high as it will go, and max out everything in the Magic tree except for Necromancer or Necro Call. You need Higher Magic x 3. You need Destroyer x 3. You definitely need level 3 Distortion and Chaos. And then with an Intellect of over 20 (mine was 32 by the end of the game) you will destroy your enemies. You don't really need much in the way of your own units, although dragons are essential at the end of the game.

Toward the end of the game, I was casting Fire Rain twice a turn for the first three turns, and using Soul Drain every second or third turn. That's it. I occasionally used Armageddon to clear out maps with lots of stacks (especially lots of ranged units) but this is not a good idea when you have dragons. In fact one cheap tactic is to get a team of weak and cheap units like Undead Spiders, Skeletons and Ghouls, then Armageddon everything. You can nuke the map twice on turn 1, which great for clearing out hordes of dragons. And then you can replenish your stacks very cheaply after the fight. I cleared out the Land of the Dead like this with no problems at all.

I never used Sacrifice. Not once. I used Phantom a lot in my Paladin game but barely at all in my second. In fact I didn't find Pain Mirror at all in my second game, but it didn't matter.

Mage >>>>>>>>>>> Daylight >>>>>>>>>>>>> Paladin

gnileo99
10-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi
Does anyone have any idea why the morale of the staff keep dropping after each match (fight)? I have no idea how to keep that staff happy :confused:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Nike-it
10-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi
Does anyone have any idea why the morale of the staff keep dropping after each match (fight)? I have no idea how to keep that staff happy :confused:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

If not mistaken, your can increase the morale using magic crystals. And after each battle the morale decreases for classK*intK.
Class = 1(mage); 2(paladin); 3(warrior)
int = 3 (int<10); 2 (10<int<20); 1 (int>20)

gnileo99
10-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi Nike-It
Thanks for the tip. Does that means that after the morale of the staff drops to 0 (Terrible) i have to use magic crystal to increase the moral? Either that or suppress it?
Thanks

Nike-it
10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi Nike-It
Thanks for the tip. Does that means that after the morale of the staff drops to 0 (Terrible) i have to use magic crystal to increase the moral? Either that or suppress it?
Thanks

Really don't remember. I think wiht terrible morale you'll have to fight the keepers.

Gatts
11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi Nike-It
Thanks

Right, crystals or battle.
But honestly - who is willing to offer these so much valued crystals, when they can deliver beutiful fight instead? I wouldn't, that's for sure.

Also I would love to be able to surpress the items before they drop to zero - point is that the item itself is quite usefull in fight and the surpress fights are not the easiest, right? And if your best item morale is 0 - you don't have any benefit from it.

kadrzys
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
but you are suppressing item by fighting it's keepers whose rebelling against you. So in conclusion it wouldn't be logical if you'll be able to supress item and using this item same time.

Gatts
12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
but you are suppressing item by fighting it's keepers whose rebelling against you. So in conclusion it wouldn't be logical if you'll be able to supress item and using this item same time.

That quite makes sense - even if the item would have 10 morale - using the same item when fighting it would be somehow non-logical... (but handy)

Arilian
09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Is Damage spells are Viable option for a mage at impossible difficulty after mid game?

As an old heroes please i have started in impossible and i managed fine so far (after a few errors and restart like spending all my crystal, missing the spirits of rage q)

At the beginning of the dwarwen lands i realised that i am a bit misdeveloped my spirits (mabye i was a bit unlucky) and i am not sure chaos was a good choice for spells. I am already at lvl3, 15+INT and it starting to get weaker.
I am not sure how much is left from the game but given i am only lvl 11 i think damage spells and damage spirit effects will be useless at the end game (in impossible)
Am i wrong?

Elwin
09-29-2009, 05:17 PM
yep, for impossible crowd control spells and skills are the key.

Razorflame
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
nah it's not chaos can rock

but that depends HEAVILY on your intelligence

and 15 won't get you any far...

you need at LEAST 25 before u even go to dwarven lands

and after dwarven lands u need have like 30 or somewhere near that

to even rock anything ^^

BB Shockwave
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Totally agree. As far I am concerned the Mage owns this game, hands down. I have just completed my second game on Hard and it was MUCH easier as a Mage compared to a Paladin.

Why?

Because of SPELLS. In my opinion Order is not needed, but Distortion in the early game and Chaos in the late game own everything. I barely used the Ragebox for most of the game, mainly just Soul Drain for massive stacks and Time Back. Sometimes Glot's Armor. But my rage was only 50 at the end and I didn't need any more.

What you've got to do as a Mage is raise your intellect as high as it will go, and max out everything in the Magic tree except for Necromancer or Necro Call. You need Higher Magic x 3. You need Destroyer x 3. You definitely need level 3 Distortion and Chaos. And then with an Intellect of over 20 (mine was 32 by the end of the game) you will destroy your enemies. You don't really need much in the way of your own units, although dragons are essential at the end of the game.

Toward the end of the game, I was casting Fire Rain twice a turn for the first three turns, and using Soul Drain every second or third turn. That's it. I occasionally used Armageddon to clear out maps with lots of stacks (especially lots of ranged units) but this is not a good idea when you have dragons. In fact one cheap tactic is to get a team of weak and cheap units like Undead Spiders, Skeletons and Ghouls, then Armageddon everything. You can nuke the map twice on turn 1, which great for clearing out hordes of dragons. And then you can replenish your stacks very cheaply after the fight. I cleared out the Land of the Dead like this with no problems at all.

I never used Sacrifice. Not once. I used Phantom a lot in my Paladin game but barely at all in my second. In fact I didn't find Pain Mirror at all in my second game, but it didn't matter.

Mage >>>>>>>>>>> Daylight >>>>>>>>>>>>> Paladin

I'd say that Order is indeed needed even for a Mage.

A lot of fast-moving units can be pretty much grounded with the Lightning spell, plus it does quite good damage as well. Resurrection is a must-have if you want to avoid casualties, Defenseless can make tough units easier to kill (dragons, especially good against Cyclopes). If you are a mage, you cannot get Onslaught that easy, so a Mass Battle Standard comes in handy. Gift and Fit of Action are also valuable. And you're really stuck without Dispel if one of your units gets turned into a sheep... :)