PDA

View Full Version : Will there be DRM on Gamersgate?

dozerking
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I really hope that 1C will NOT place any DRM at all in this game, and especially the digital distribution versions of the game, such as the Gamersgate and possible STEAM version of the game where it certainly isn't needed. I strongly feel that DRM isn't needed and that more customers are attracted in purchasing a game that doesn't place such restrictions on the customer.

Plain and simple, there is a huge group of potential customers that WILL buy this game. There is a portion of this base that feels strongly against DRM, and that could hinder sales as they will not purchase this game if it comes with activation restrictions that we've seen with Securom lately. Then there is the crowd that never pays for software, these people cannot be part of any sales figures or concerns, as they simply will never buy software regardless, they will just get a version without DRM and not pay up. Yet, we are told that DRM is necessary to prevent this group of people that NEVER buy software, which doesn't work in the first place, as EVERYTHING gets cracked and copied without paying the people that deserve to be rewarded for their labors.

It's a shame, with PC Gaming in transition right now, I hope 1C doesn't punish their paying customers with activation limitations, or DRM that ties a purchased game to their hardware. I upgrade all the time, reinstall Windows and Linux on a bi-annual basis. These all lose activations, and is common behavior for a "hardcore" PC gamer. For the record, I am NOT opposed to the STEAM model because the game gets tied to the actual person buying the game, not his or her PC's hardware, which STARFORCE and SecuROM do. This is a VERY important distinction between the two, and why I will support gamersgate and STEAM if we do not have restrictions placed on us.

Forgive me if 1C has already made a well known decision on this matter, but I haven't read anything about it.

Shawn
Philadelphia, PA
USA

Divebomb
09-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Seems likely it'll have some online activation and checking if your version is legit stuff. Why would you expect anything else? Most games on gamersgate are online activated.

valerian
10-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Gee, I suspect too many Russians will want to pirate the game and not buy it... hence is DRM. :rolleyes:

Jon
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Is interesting, because Russia is the second market for the PC games , after USA . And with less PC per capita than in USA , perphas 10 or 20 times less - only 10 millons .

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5923/57547457457gy8.jpg

We not would see almost games for PC if it were not for the Russians and the CIS players, or games like Far Cry 2, which are a soft copy of some Ukrainians games. Do you not know that in the CIS will sell some PC games more than in the rest of the world, such as STALKER, or more than in USA, as The Witcher? And that in a country with a lot less PC than USA, Germany or England.

BAXTER STOCKMAN
10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Is interesting, because Russia is the second market for the PC games , after USA . And with less PC per capita than in USA , perphas 10 or 20 times less - only 10 millons .

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5923/57547457457gy8.jpg

We not would see almost games for PC if it were not for the Russians and the CIS players, or games like Far Cry 2, which are a soft copy of some Ukrainians games. Do you not know that in the CIS will sell some PC games more than in the rest of the world, such as STALKER, or more than in USA, as The Witcher? And that in a country with a lot less PC than USA, Germany or England.

I agree that Russians pc games are the best pc games!! I just bought the Russian version of Collapse ( i think you know about this game don you?) I am very happy to see more pc games coming this year!! And yes most companies here in europe dosent make enough pc games and it is a bad thing for pc gameing... It is nice to see that Russia continue supports the pc! And here in Greece we have even less pc than Russia, most of them are realy old.... And that because pc is very expensive here in Greece so we need a lot of money to buy a good pc!:)