PDA

View Full Version : Full game first impressions thread

Zhuangzi
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Okay, this is a place to post the differences we find between the demo and full game...

1. Music is different. Nice.
2. Plugen quest doesn't give the ragebox. D'oh :eek:
3. Not having ragebox makes the early game MUCH harder, especially when you're playing on Hard like I am.
4. Not a difference but a reminder. If your game lags at all turn anti-aliasing off. It slows my game down quite a bit.
5. I can't beat the tougher Greenwort enemies without the ragebox on Hard. I have 10,000 cash but I am yet to defeat the head werewolf, tent guards, shipwreck ghosts etc.
6. I had a nasty surprise with the stupid plants. I came across a group of 4 x 200 plants! Reload. :!:
7. I am going to have to leave Greenwort to get the ragebox, but I am scared. ;)

Wolfpaw
09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Okay, this is a place to post the differences we find between the demo and full game...

2. Plugen quest doesn't give the ragebox. D'oh :eek:

Aye - wasted some runes for rage-generation and then no box ;)

LiveInABox
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
whats the best rage creature? that fire one in the demo is useless (although im note sure i tried out his 4th spell), the swamp one rocks. are the other two better?

hawker
09-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Pretty much. In my opinion...

the first spirit has 2 "okay" abilities and 2 poor ones
the second one has one kickass, one good, one meh and one fairly useless one
the third has one good and three meh ones
the fourth has four abilities which are all great

Amamake
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
whats the best rage creature? that fire one in the demo is useless

He gets +100% damage against spellcasters and that is pretty useful.

the third has one good and three meh ones

Gizmo is one of the most powerful abilities in the game, if leveled properly. Spikey ball is good all-around and it's the premier spell against the undead general.

hawker
09-24-2008, 02:40 PM
He gets +100% damage against spellcasters and that is pretty useful.

Gizmo is one of the most powerful abilities in the game, if leveled properly. Spikey ball is good all-around and it's the premier spell against the undead general.

That's pretty insightful, thanks. Never tried levelling Gizmo.

Bonar
09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The demo giving the impression you get almost everything right off the bat. But in the full game I feel like crawling throught every mobs and quests to get my hero as effective as in the demo.

7. I am going to have to leave Greenwort to get the ragebox, but I am scared.
The place is crawling with barbarians :D

bman654
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
4. Not a difference but a reminder. If your game lags at all turn anti-aliasing off. It slows my game down quite a bit.

For another speed-boost, edit game.ini and change r_filter to 0. This turns off Antistropic Filtering and enables bilinear filtering.

Zhuangzi
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
OK, I am struggling. I am up to level 4 and I'm trying to find the freaking ragebox. But as a Paladin playing on Hard I am finding that I am between a rock and a hard place - no rage, no offensive spells, and creatures are chasing me all over the map. I hope I won't have to restart.

Is anyone else playing on Hard first up?

Amamake
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
OK, I am struggling. I am up to level 4 and I'm trying to find the freaking ragebox. But as a Paladin playing on Hard I am finding that I am between a rock and a hard place - no rage, no offensive spells, and creatures are chasing me all over the map. I hope I won't have to restart.

Is anyone else playing on Hard first up?

Minor spoiler:

Ragebox is easy to get: finish the first quest King gives you and accept the second one. It involves going to Arlania (-- ? I'm not sure how it was translated in English release) and talking to astrologer in his observatory. Simply rush to him, evading or killing whatever monsters you come across.

In case you are lost: Screenshot of an observatory (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4209/kbobservvv7.jpg). Region map (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5701/kbmapyb2.jpg). Hero icon marks the correct location.

After that, talk to the King again and he'll send you on a mission to get a box.

Zhuangzi
09-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks Amamake. :grin:

I played for about an hour this morning and found things to be much easier. I saw the guy in the observatory and realised that I could do quite a lot in Arlania without actually fighting anyone. I was able to get the dirigible's black box, dragon's tooth and shipwrecked cargo quests by running away from enemies. :-P In fact there is so much bounty lying around in Arlania that I was able to rack up about 20,000 with no trouble.

The problem, as I said before, that as a Paladin you don't have any offensive spells or ragebox early in the game. Chaos Magic is quite hard to get to as a Paladin, which means I am relying on Pain Mirror to inflict damage from a distance. But it's all good now, off I go to get the ragebox.

I found that the Scouting skill is VERY important on Hard. And it needs upgrading too. It's not enough to say that there are 'lots' of enemies. :rolleyes:

KingImp
09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Has anyone else found the full game to be easier than the demo? I don't know if it's just because I got used to it and learned how to fight better, but in the demo I was losing units in almost every fight. Now, I have yet to lose a single unit.

Imperial Dane
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I have kinda found it to be the opposite, many mobs have been boosted generally and of course there is the fact that you don't get the ragebox right away.

But all in all, i am having great fun :D I just wonder once in awhile if certain areas are meant to be that hard ..

phoenixreborn
09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Well I found the demo to be a cakewalk. In the full game which I got today I've lost my full army twice. I just bought it back and some armor so hopefully that will help.

It's good that mobs stay in the state which you left them when they killed you.

sinava
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I am finding most of the game almost as difficult as the dem , except the fact that not having the rage boxes makes the game a bit difficult. anyways i think some people are finding the demo more difficult mostly due to the fact that after familiarizing themselves with the game using the demo, the full version seems a bit easy

phoenixreborn
09-25-2008, 09:33 PM
After playing a little more it's definitely fun. The quests are interesting enough and there are little story tidbits about the realm scattered around through npc's and obelisks.

There's also the ever present rpg thrill, just one more level up...

I wish my guys would get criticals more. Is 45 too low or something?

SoulDrinker
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
As a gamer from Belgium I had only one option to get this game and that's online purchasing through gamersgate (which went very smoothly).

Now, to be honest : this game exceeds everything. It's so great. I even take holidays to play this game. I'm not that far yet, got my rage box. It's different from what we've seen in the demo but oh my god.

There are a lot of choices to be made during the quests. Sometimes I even wondered about 5 minutes about what to do.

It's even on the cover of our local Belgian magazine (PCGameplay). They are also fond of TBS games and I'm sure they'll give it a great score.

This is : One game to rule them all ;)

Zhuangzi
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
As a gamer from Belgium I had only one option to get this game and that's online purchasing through gamersgate (which went very smoothly).

Now, to be honest : this game exceeds everything. It's so great. I even take holidays to play this game. I'm not that far yet, got my rage box. It's different from what we've seen in the demo but oh my god.

There are a lot of choices to be made during the quests. Sometimes I even wondered about 5 minutes about what to do.

It's even on the cover of our local Belgian magazine (PCGameplay). They are also fond of TBS games and I'm sure they'll give it a great score.

This is : One game to rule them all ;)

Bolded part is exactly how I feel about this game at the moment. :grin:

The only thing reviewers will be able to criticize is the story and the translation. Other 'issues' such as the game not knowing when you would like it to save for you is just retarded. That's what quicksave is for, and the game even records your last three quicksaves so you can go back if YOU make a mistake. :rolleyes:

I want to talk about the fact that level design is more important than story or even the translation in this game. To be honest with you the story bores me. Yeah, yeah - routine fantasy tale. Basically boils down to - "go here and do this." I find myself clicking through a lot of the dialogue, only skimming it to find out what the job is. Because it's text not speech you can do this easily, and besides, the quest log tells you what to do anyway. This also negates the translation issue. The story just isn't very important in this game.

What this game does have is fantastic level design. It's truly awesome and supremely fun. This game should have a sticker on the box saying 'Guaranteed to be INSANELY fun.' What do you guys think?

jake21
09-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Yea. This is the first game in a very long time I payed full price ($40). Usually I wait till they are no more than $20. I do have one question and one comment:

What exactly do obelisk do? for example I click on Obelisk of fandor:
Which gives a message [left out in case it is spoiler]. But does having click on it actually change anything about the game? Does it open a new area that is otherwise not open until you click on it ?

Also - I purchased the box version and while it has a few of the basic commands (like H to open hero) it does not have all the commands (like alt to enable turn in combat). Is there any document that list every command/short cut in the game ?

Amamake
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
But does having click on it actually change anything about the game?

Yep. It does.

phoenixreborn
09-26-2008, 02:17 AM
I actually like the little jokes in the stories. Any quest in any game (even planescape/fallout/wizardry 8) is going to boil down to talk to this person or bring the foozle somewhere...it depends on how well it is presented.

So,Zhuangzhi, if you are skipping the stories you may also enjoy homm which is about tactical battles.

jake21
09-26-2008, 02:17 AM
What does clicking on the obelisk actually change in the game ?!!!

Also is it possible to merge troops together (if they are same type - like two groups of archers) ?

Yep.

LiveInABox
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
What exactly do obelisk do? for example I click on Obelisk of fandor:
Which gives a message [left out in case it is spoiler]. But does having click on it actually change anything about the game? Does it open a new area that is otherwise not open until you click on it ?

yeah i was wondering the same thing. theres one in the demo next to the mage place that just lights up when u click on it. no idea what it does :confused:

Nike-it
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah i was wondering the same thing. theres one in the demo next to the mage place that just lights up when u click on it. no idea what it does :confused:

Finding all obelisks will help you to open special place in the dwarven world.

LiveInABox
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
thanks. what are the best spells in the game like? are there loads more and more powerful ones than what we see in the demo?

Imperial Dane
09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
There are MANY more than there are in the demo.. many more.

Kolorabi
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Man, I just killed the kraken. What an awesome boss battle! I love this game...

LiveInABox
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
this is really hard at the start as a warrior...

quick q...ive just got the corpse wife and am having a kid...if i change her back to a zombie that wont cancel the pregnancy will it?

it would also be better if the rage box gave you all 4 spells as an upgrade choice instead of just two.

Zhuangzi
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
You don't get the third rage demon until you get to Kordor, and then at first she (Lina) seems quite underwhelming anyway. You can't go past Evil Shoal.

LiveInABox
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
You don't get the third rage demon until you get to Kordor, and then at first she (Lina) seems quite underwhelming anyway. You can't go past Evil Shoal.

no what i meant was having the choice to upgrade all 4 of their abilities instead of just 2 that come up when they level up. I would just stick with evil shoal and the armor, the other 2 i never use.

Zhuangzi
09-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh, I see. Sorry I misread your post. No, I think you only get those two options. Like you, I never use Cloud of Poison or the spitting one (I forget the name).

One good thing about Glot's Armor is that no matter how much hits the enemy does in one go (e.g. a stack of 200 Fire Spiders which lands over 1500 damage in one attack) Glot's Armor will absorb it and then die. So Glot's Armor is essentially 'at least one free hit.' This can be very useful. :-P

GreyBeard
09-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Hello just got the game last night and have been playing today for about 2 hours.

Game runs smooth as silk and looks and plays great, it has helped that I played HOMM quite a bit so it makes learning this game easier.

All in all a great game and now days a rare one, it actually works right out of the box!:)

It for sure has that old TB allure "just one more turn before I quit " hours later still playing.:)

Very pleased to say the least.

GB