PDA

View Full Version : Random Maps?

Munch10
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

I can that monsters/treasures you enounter are randomized, but are the maps the same every game? Also, do you have the same set of quests every time?

It would be a huge bonus for re-playability if maps and quests vary from game to game. Maybe some of you who bought a full copy online could tell us.

Thanks!

-Munch

Ball Buster
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Randomize the maps would mean randomize also a lot of quests... And I'm sure that will not happen :rolleyes:

Do you know how hard would be randomize the quests? You can set to appear random creatures, but random quests... The game would need a huge database of missions, because of that, it's easier to place a point of decision in some moment of the main quest, so that you could choose, for example, the good path or the evil path of the game, and consequently change some secundary quests.

Munch10
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Agreed it would be a lot of work, but I was thinking similiar to HOMM series where you can have different scenarios. There was also a KB game on the PS2 I used to play where it was a series of islands and I can't remember if those changed layout or just placement.

It would be workable if, for example you had 80 quests, of which maybe 40 would be in every game. It would definitely take a more modular design and clear likages between quests. One time 'fetch' or 'kill' quests would be easy to add/remove without impact on main quest (which would obviously be the same). It would be nice to add the replayability of the game - no necssary - but nice.

I guess even in HOMM you had set maps, though there were a lot more campaigns - so maybe that's more what I'm looking for. The base map in the demo is very nicley detailed - hard to do with a generator. I guess the mod communitiy may help with adding other maps/content over time.

Thanks!

-Munch

Sleeping Sun
09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but the "maps" are not randomised, because all of them are literally hand-made. It's not a set of different pieces, like in HOMM series, when you simply copypaste all the terrain elements. Every tree, every stone in KB is handcrafted, so it's impossible at this moment to randomise the terrain as well as make the map editor tool. But the huge plus is that all the lands differ very much and are MUCH more beautifull and detailed than in Heroes

hawker
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Quests are the same (though there are multiple solutions for some). The terrain also stays the same. However, the items available for buying, treasure, and some creature types in "lairs" are randomized each playthrough.