PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Russian players

Zhuangzi
09-22-2008, 11:25 PM
There seems to be a number of Russian guys hanging around who have played the full game, so I thought a thread to ask them questions would be okay. Here goes...

1. Is the game as fun as we think it is, having played the demo? I mean, I am having insane amounts of fun. :cool:

2. Will there be enough runes to max out all 3 tech trees in the full game? I hope not, because I like the idea of having to make important decisions.

3. I see from the high scores list in game that there are 'boss fights.' Are these fun?

4. How many sectors are there in the game? I notice there must be at least 4 on the main continent, and there are 5 continents.

5. Last one for now. How long will it take to play a single player game? I've read 40 hours somewhere, and 70 hours somewhere else.

OK, thanks. ;)

Amamake
09-23-2008, 01:07 AM
1. Is the game as fun as we think it is, having played the demo? I mean, I am having insane amounts of fun.

Obviously, I haven't played the demo, but as I understand it's basically the first location from the game with early ragebox and monster levels tuned down a bit, is this correct?

If so, than yes, the demo is a good presentation of the full game. No, it doesn't suddenly get worse later on, if that's what you are asking.

2. Will there be enough runes to max out all 3 tech trees in the full game? I hope not, because I like the idea of having to make important decisions.

I'm not sure. You probably can max out all skill trees near the end of the game if playing on easy. I'm certain it's impossible on hard. I'm currently 25+ hours into the game and the "I need this damn skill NOW" feeling is still here.

3. I see from the high scores list in game that there are 'boss fights.' Are these fun?

Yes. I wish there were more of those.

4. How many sectors are there in the game? I notice there must be at least 4 on the main continent, and there are 5 continents.

It's hard to tell. About 18 mayor and two times as much minor ones, such as dungeons, castle interiors, catacombs, mines, dragon planes and insides of a giant fish.

5. Last one for now. How long will it take to play a single player game? I've read 40 hours somewhere, and 70 hours somewhere else.

The game is 50+ to 60+ hours long, depending on how much effort you put in exploration.

phoenixreborn
09-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Great questions and answers thanks. Can't wait to pick it up in the next couple of days.

Zhuangzi
09-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks for that, Amamake. :grin:

The demo gives us only the first location (Greenwort) and probably 10-12 quests to do. You get the ragebox and most of the fights are quite easy. Some are very challenging and certainly not geared to level 5 heroes, which is about as far as you can get in the demo.

50-60 hours for one run-through sounds awesome, espcecially considering I'm likely to play this more than once.

Hurry up and update your site, Gamersgate. :rolleyes:

hawker
09-23-2008, 05:42 AM
There seems to be a number of Russian guys hanging around who have played the full game, so I thought a thread to ask them questions would be okay. Here goes...

1. Is the game as fun as we think it is, having played the demo? I mean, I am having insane amounts of fun. :cool:
Yes.

No, there won't. (I've only played on Normal and Hard, not sure about Easy). I'm sure there will be strategy guides out describing which skills are crap and worthless, and which are great.

Yeah. Some ought to be less similar, but still. An undead general later in the game actually took me a few days to come up with a working strategy for my Mage (on Hard).

Don't want to spoil it exactly, but your line of reasoning is correct.

70 hours is definitely closer to the truth.

Zhuangzi
09-23-2008, 10:31 PM
One more question for you Russian guys...

I am thinking of playing the game on Hard straight away. I never do this - always play on Medium and then move up to Hard for subsequent games - but I like a challenge. By challenge, I *don't* mean I want to have to reload every 5 minutes. So, is Hard really hard in this game? In the demo, Hard seems like a fair challenge.

My download is at 57% now. Another eight hours and it'll be done. :oops:

Luckily I have to go to work in two hours so I wouldn't have been able to play until later anyway...

Sleeping Sun
09-23-2008, 10:41 PM
One more question for you Russian guys...

I am thinking of playing the game on Hard straight away. I never do this - always play on Medium and then move up to Hard for subsequent games - but I like a challenge. By challenge, I *don't* mean I want to have to reload every 5 minutes. So, is Hard really hard in this game? In the demo, Hard seems like a fair challenge.

My download is at 57% now. Another eight hours and it'll be done. :oops:

Luckily I have to go to work in two hours so I wouldn't have been able to play until later anyway...

In the version 1.5 I've played Hard was not very difficult, but you had to choose your opponent more wisely, and pay more attention to th losses in the battles. They should be minimised in order to save the money, because their income is lower than in normal mode. Briefly, if you want more tale- or adventure-like game, I'd recommend playing on normal. But hard level is more interesting if you want to think about real battle tactics, spell combinations, most effective units and so on. If you like brain-drilling and strategic management, try impossible:grin:

Amamake
09-23-2008, 11:36 PM

I did exactly that the first time I played. After about 10 hours into the game I had to abandon my mage and restart on normal as a fighter.

Hard is doable if you have some in-depth knowledge about game mechanics, particularly the skill system. If you played demo several times, you can probably do it.

I recommend picking a paladin for the first run, because of that resurrection scroll. Since good spells are damn hard to find in the full game, playing a mage on hard is a pain in the ass.

Replacing losses will cost a fortune, so you never feel too rich. Proper troop management is essential on harder difficulties and it's rewarding too: I just killed a Kraken loosing only one archmage and one ancient bear.

Zhuangzi
09-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks again guys. I have learned now that the Paladin is really useful - partly because of his high leadership due to Glory upgrades. I will try a Hard Paladin and if I get my ass handed to me I'll try again on Medium. I just hate cruising through a game that's so easy that I never learn how to play it properly. And yes I love the mechanics of the battles. This game has two major things going for it, from what I've seen.

1. Beautiful graphics and interesting RPG adventuring.

2. Really solid turn based fights.

I imagine that 2. will be more interesting and challenging on Hard.