PDA

View Full Version : Add private photo on cockpit panel?

damar
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I remember I saw it in youtube.
Can I add own picture on cockpit panel in Stock 4.111 or 4.12?
How?

Thanks!

panzer1b
04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
i believe oonly mods allow this atm

i cant give you a definite answer but the only things you can customize with stock 4.11 that i know of are skins of the plane (colors, camo, ect, whatever you like the plane to hlook like extrenally), squadrons (i know u can add custom squadrons and symbols which appear on the side of select planes), and nose art (very few planes even support or show this so its sortof useless in practice as few of the planes i fly have this option or never got it to work)

otherwise if its interior cockpits ur most likely going to need a mod or mods to edit the looks of that

majorfailure
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
... squadrons (i know u can add custom squadrons and symbols which appear on the side of select planes)...
Do you know how to do this?

HW3
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Photoshop or any paint program that allows you to save in the 8 bit format.

Treetop64
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I remember I saw it in youtube.
Can I add own picture on cockpit panel in Stock 4.111 or 4.12?
How?

Thanks!

Doing this requires modifying the in-cockpit textures and cannot be done in stock versions of the game. You can install cockpit mods that already have images of photos taped to the panel, you can try to contact a modder and ask them if they can make one for you, or you can make your own cockpit texture mod. Note that modifying textures takes work and requires third-party programs like Photoshop, and cannot be done in a snap.

damar
04-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Doing this requires modifying the in-cockpit textures and cannot be done in stock versions of the game. You can install cockpit mods that already have images of photos taped to the panel, you can try to contact a modder and ask them if they can make one for you, or you can make your own cockpit texture mod. Note that modifying textures takes work and requires third-party programs like Photoshop, and cannot be done in a snap.

Thanks.
I wish DT team can provide the function. It will greatly increase player's immersion.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Immersion by a private picture? How much? Was it that common?

I mean, it would be necessary to edit each cockpit in game.

fly_zo
04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
only for modded game ...

to do it properly you need :

1. edit hier.him file of desired cockpit

- it determines position of objects in cockpit ( can be done via wordpad or similar text editor)

2. introduce new mesh file along with respective tga file and mat file to desired cockpit folder

- mesh : actual object
- tga : texture for mesh ( picture) ... photoshop 32bit rgb alpha channel enabled
- mat : properties for tga ( lighting , alpha etc.) ... via text editor

you can borrow those files from some other cockpit mod or even stock files ( it just have to be flat square object)

word of warning ... if you install any new mod which introduces hier.him file for your cockpit you need to modify it too ( same goes for mod packs)

hope that helps

reg
Z

Pursuivant
04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
This is a kind of cool idea.

Other than the option of adding girlie photos, the practical use for something like this would be to add waypoints, callsigns, mission goals, recon photos or the other sort of information that a pilot might want to keep in view without having to flip to map view.

Something similar might be the option of making a page of user-defined text or a .gif or .jpg file appear in the map view instead of the map.

But, since this mod falls into the "nice to have" category and seems to be simple to implement, it might be better to have a modder do the hier.him mapping and just have a standard sized (100 x 100 pixel?) blank where the picture/notes would go. Then, TD could do the coding required to make cockpit photos (or whatever) an option.

Treetop64
04-10-2013, 10:48 PM
One would suspect this kind of feature would be fairly low down on the list of priorities...

Bearcat
04-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Hell I go down the basement to fly to get away from my wife .. and I don't need a picture of some strange fine but irrelevant hotty in my pit to immerse me.. but that's just me.. but I can dig it .. it was cool when it first came out.. I even had that mod in one of my mod installs way back.. I upgraded and didn't bother to add it.. because to me I am simming to go outside of my real world for a spell and have some fun doing something I will never get to do in reality....

fly_zo
04-11-2013, 07:33 AM
... well, you can always have check lists displayed instead

god knows that we have so many planes to fly and having to remember mixture / supercharger/prop settings for all of them can be rather PITA .

reg
Z

Bearcat
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
True true......

Treetop64
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
... well, you can always have check lists displayed instead

god knows that we have so many planes to fly and having to remember mixture / supercharger/prop settings for all of them can be rather PITA .

reg
Z

For this game, reference cards would be far more useful than checklists, since systems modelling and management is extremely simplified, and starting/landing procedures are pretty much almost identical for almost all planes in the game. The only differences really are V numbers and RPM/Hg/Boost/Mixture settings during the different phases of flight, and those are usually found on the reference sheets for a given aircraft type.

damar
04-12-2013, 02:09 AM
only for modded game ...

to do it properly you need :

1. edit hier.him file of desired cockpit

- it determines position of objects in cockpit ( can be done via wordpad or similar text editor)

2. introduce new mesh file along with respective tga file and mat file to desired cockpit folder

- mesh : actual object
- tga : texture for mesh ( picture) ... photoshop 32bit rgb alpha channel enabled
- mat : properties for tga ( lighting , alpha etc.) ... via text editor

you can borrow those files from some other cockpit mod or even stock files ( it just have to be flat square object)

word of warning ... if you install any new mod which introduces hier.him file for your cockpit you need to modify it too ( same goes for mod packs)

hope that helps

reg
Z
cool picture!
When I teach the kids to fly,if they watch their own image in cockpit,they will be truely exciting and more intersting in learning.
IL2 is gradually becoming basic flight training software here:)

fly_zo
04-12-2013, 06:00 AM
For this game, reference cards would be far more useful than checklists, since systems modelling and management is extremely simplified, and starting/landing procedures are pretty much almost identical for almost all planes in the game. The only differences really are V numbers and RPM/Hg/Boost/Mixture settings during the different phases of flight, and those are usually found on the reference sheets for a given aircraft type.

yup, you're probably right here ( except if you have and use complex engine management mod)

reference sheets i heave from "neutral dream's" cockpits guide but it would be so much easier to have RPM/Hg/Boost/Mixture settings in each cockpit .

@ damar:

cheers m8

reg
Z