PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about... [regarding in-game object viewer]

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Hello folks,

now and then there are a few little discussions happening about updating the in-game object viewer. While some think, this is not urgent or essential and manpower should better be spent to something more important (and they may be absolutely right), I think most would agree, that this was to be a 'nice to have' at least.
Now, I admit, I do like the in-game viewer (as I do at all other games too, when available) and I wished it was complete.

Alright, so came to think, what to do about. While it is not hard to add all the planes to the viewer, it is, by far, much more difficult and time consuming to add the proper descriptions also. It needs not only correct plane specs and a general history story maybe, it also needs it for ALL languages, that the game is supporting. And not to forget vehicles and other objects, that had been added since then. Its impossible to do for one or even a few persons.
So how to cope with that? I had the idea, that this could be a long-term community project. If everyone here would provide infos and text for one missing plane, we would have it ready for the english version very fast. Ha! - I know, not everyone here cares to or is able to do so, it was just a thought.
But maybe it is still possible. This is a private interest of me, so not directly connected to DT's plans, but I think, I don't need to say, that, becasue I am a team member, it would definitly go into stock game, if it should be successfull. What do you think?

Brainstorming:
We would start with english.
I would list all planes with missing descriptions in a thread.
Anyone, who wants to add a text, names the plane, he has chosen and I mark it as 'WIP'.
Texts can be delivered as PM's, hosted text-files or right in the thread (I'm not sure here).
Once a plane got its description, I mark it as 'closed'.

Different versions of the same plane (i.e. B-17s) can get the same story all together (to make things easier), but differ only in the specs.

When the english version is once ready, translator guys must be found.

A big problem, that I can see, is the realibilty of the content. Noone will be able to control, if each specs are 100% correct. And I wouldn't want to make a discussion on each plane. So sources like Wikipedia or History Channel should therefor be avoided and text writers should maybe name their sources.

I'd like to hear your oppinions.
(and I added a simple poll, if anyone wants to declare his will to help)

A.Fokker
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Maybe an additional poll option:
I do care but unfortunately I am not able to provide any assistance.

Real life does not allow me to contribute, but the few moments that I am able to fly IL-2 it would help throwing a mission together.

Anyway, I applaud your initiative and your effort.

Kudos

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
I see. Guess, thats for the ones, that don't vote at all. :)
But thanks for your answer!

Derda508
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks Caspar for starting this poll. You know my opinion about it :)

As I said, I will provide translations from english to german. Sadly I lack the knowledge to do anything else. I think Fokker has a very good point with asking for an additional poll option for those who would like to have a complete object viewer, but (because of whatever reason) are not able to contribute to it. In my opinion the object viewer is most important for newbies or casual gamers. If it helps to tie them to the game and increase the number of active players, then it is well worth it.
Well, its just what happened to me: I bought pacific fighters just out of curiosity, found myself spending a lot of time with it, not least the object viewer, and after not thinking about WWII aircraft for about 30 years, again got interested (and in trouble with my lady, for buying all these books and the gaming equipment and ... :) )

PilotError
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe an additional poll option:
I do care but unfortunately I am not able to provide any assistance.

Real life does not allow me to contribute, but the few moments that I am able to fly IL-2 it would help throwing a mission together.

Anyway, I applaud your initiative and your effort.

Kudos

+ 1

I would love to see the object viewer updated, but I'm afraid I have neither the knowledge or the resources to be able to assist in this worthy cause.

Of course it is because of that very ignorance about many aircraft and other objects that I like to look at the viewer, so I hope Caspars idea takes off (pun intended :grin:)

Good idea, and good luck !

Pursuivant
04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Although there's the risk of "dueling statistics", this is a good project and one which can easily involve people who are otherwise unable to contribute to IL2.

I can do research for the English language portion of the project, although my translation skills aren't good enough to allow me to translate to other languages.

majorfailure
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Any chance we can have the viewer as a single entity (or accesible while flying)?
Most times I want some info on a plane is when I'm flying it or against it.
I think everyone knows Hardballs and Il2compare, if the ingame viewer would provide same level of data that would be great - IMHO it would need to be better than wikipedia or not worth the effort. Nice to have would be some info how to use planes ingame - current viewer is lacking that. And an armament section would be highly useful. There are some weapons out there that could use a "how to" guide - the info is in the manual, or in some vid, but it would be nice to have all that in one place.
Translation to German is all I can offer.

IceFire
04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
This may be something altogether different but many players have mentioned over the years the need for something more immediate in terms of aircraft descriptions while operating in the multiplayer environment. I'm not sure what this would look like but an information option when selecting aircraft before heading out into a dogfight scenario for example.

It'd be more basic than the object viewer in terms of information but it would need to give vital stats.

Luno13
04-04-2013, 04:43 AM
I might be able to assist with info on some aircraft. This is tentative as I only have a few sources (mostly some scanned flight manuals that everyone else has, I'm sure).

I do think it's a worthy cause.

Artist
04-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I'd offer to help with translations into German, too.

Artist

Asheshouse
04-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I ticked "I would provide info on planes" but what I really meant is I would provide info on ships --- no option for that :)

In my modded installation I have enabled the in-game viewer for any new ships, some with text, many just with a view of the model.

It would be nice to have the text in a popup window and be able to keep the model view on screen. At present you can only have one or the other.

Basic text with standard spec for each model, all in an agreed format would be easy and fairly quick to do. The game uses Uni-Code text for the text windows with a small number of text formatting options.

Expanded text for selected models could include service history.
There maybe issues of copyright if this text is cut and pasted from reference books without re-drafting.

Similar things could be done for Tanks and Vehicles & Artillery categories.
The latter should maybe be split into separate categories.

Just a basic spec and period of use, to an agreed format initially, with more detailed info to be added only to specific models dependant on enthusiasm.

Ashe

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
There have been a few good ideas around the viewer, which can be taken into account later, but for now, I think the task to complete the viewer the way, as it is now and has always been, is already large enough. Pls understand - if this should really going to happen, I just don't want to get into problems with other stuff.

@Asheshouse: I guess, you are talking about mod ship (I bet most are your own)? Also here I would rather only take care for the content of the stock game. But the modding scene maybe can benefit from such a project too.
Do you know, if there are stock ships missing in the viewer? If so, they can't be many.

I have also contact made with a russian guy, who started filling the missing planes, but in russian language so far. We are currently discussing, who to go on, also to prevent double work. I guess, it can slowly go to start soon.

I think, I will not going too hasty with this topic either. ;)

Asheshouse
04-04-2013, 07:56 PM
List of ships in v4.11 with class name and menu name
x indicates that they appear in the viewer.
[Ships]

x G5 Soviet Torpedo Boat G-5
MO4 Soviet Hunter MO-4
x BBK_1942 Soviet Armored Boat BBK-1 /1942
x BBK1124_1943 Soviet Armored Boat BBK-1 /1943
x Destroyer_USSR_Type7 Soviet Destroyer Type 7
Destroyer_USSR_Type7_44 Soviet Destroyer Type 7 /1944
x Tral Soviet Tral Class Minesweeper
x MAS501 Italian Torpedo Boat MAS 501
x S80 German Torpedo Boat S-80
x MFP German Marine Fahr Prahm Type I
x MFP2 German Marine Fahr Prahm Type II
x Murgesku Romanian Mine-Layer "Admiral Murgesku"
MBoat German Minesweeper Type 1935

x Niobe German AAA Cruiser "Niobe"
NiobeWithBeacon German AAA Cruiser "Niobe" (w/ beacon)
Illmarinen Finnish Coastal Defense Ship "Illmarinen"
x Vainamoinen Finnish Coastal Defense Ship "Vainamoinen"
x Aurora Soviet Protected Cruiser "Aurora"
x Marat Soviet Battleship "Marat"
x Kirov Soviet Light Cruiser "Kirov"
Tirpitz German Battleship "Tirpitz"
x Tashkent Soviet Flotilla-Leader "Tashkent"
x Tramp Dry Cargo Ship
Tanker Liquid Cargo Ship

x Submarine German Submarine Type IIB surfaced
SubmarineP German Submarine Type IIB submerged
SubTypeVIIC_Srf German Submarine Type VIIC surfaced
SubTypeVIIC_SrfWithBeacon German Submarine Type VIIC surfaced w/ beacon
SubTypeVIIC_Sub German Submarine Type VIIC submerged
x Shuka Soviet Submarine 'Tshuka' surfaced
ShukaP Soviet Submarine 'Tshuka' submerged

x USSLexingtonCV2 USS Lexington CV2
x USSSaratogaCV3 USS Saratoga CV3
USSCVGeneric USS Carrier Generic
USSBBGeneric USS Battleship Generic
x USSIndianapolisCA35 USS Indianapolis CA35
USSGreenlingSS213_Srf USS Greenling SS213 surfaced
USSGreenlingSS213_Sub USS Greenling SS213 submerged
x USSGatoSS212_Srf USS Gato SS212 surfaced
USSGatoSS212_Sub USS Gato SS212 submerged
x USSWardDD139 USS Ward DD139
x USSDentDD116 USS Dent DD116
x USSFletcherDD445 USS Fletcher DD445
x USSOBannonDD450 USS O'Bannon DD450
x USSKiddDD661 USS Kidd DD661
USSCasablancaCVE55 USS Casablanca CVE55
USSKitkunBayCVE71 USS Kitkun Bay CVE71
USSShamrockBayCVE84 USS Shamrock Bay CVE84
x USSEssexCV9 USS Essex CV9
x USSIntrepidCV11 USS Intrepid CV11
LVT_2WAT US LVT-2 Landing Craft
DUKW_WAT US DUKW Amphibious Vehicle
LCVP US LCVP Landing Craft

x HMSIllustriousCV HMS Illustrious CV
x HMSPoWBB HMS Prince of Wales BB
x HMSKingGeorgeVBB HMS King George V BB
x HMSDukeOfYorkBB HMS Duke of York BB

x IJNAkagiCV IJN Akagi CV
IJNShokakuCV IJN Shokaku CV
IJNZuikakuCV IJN Zuikaku CV
IJNCVGeneric IJN Carrier Generic
IJNBBGeneric IJN Battleship Generic
x IJNAkizukiDD42 IJN Akizuki DD
x IJNAmatsukazeDD41 IJN Amatsukaze DD /1941
x IJNArashiDD41 IJN Arashi DD /1941
x IJNKageroDD41 IJN Kagero DD /1941
x IJNNowakiDD41 IJN Nowaki DD /1941
x IJNYukikazeDD41 IJN Yukikaze DD /1941
x IJNAmatsukazeDD43 IJN Amatsukaze DD /1943
IJNAmatsukazeDD43WithBeacon IJN Amatsukaze DD /1943 w/ beacon
x IJNNowakiDD43 IJN Nowaki DD /1943
x IJNYukikazeDD43 IJN Yukikaze DD /1943
x IJNAmatsukazeDD45 IJN Amatsukaze DD /1945
x IJNYukikazeDD45 IJN Yukikaze DD /1945
IJNFishJunk IJN Fishing Boat
IJNFishJunkA IJN Fishing Boat armed
DaihatsuLC JP Daihatsu Landing CraftSome not worth including like Generic ships and submerged subs, but others should be included IMO.

The Soviet, German, Finnish, Rumanian, Italian types could be better grouped by countries with ships sorted in the order major vessels first. I will create a modified ship.ini with these changes. Approx 18 ships to add.

SaQSoN
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Some not worth including like Generic ships and submerged subs, but others should be included IMO.

Sister ships also may be represented as single entry, with all in-game sister-ships simply listed in the text.

sniperton
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Nice to have would be some info how to use planes ingame - current viewer is lacking that. And an armament section would be highly useful. There are some weapons out there that could use a "how to" guide - the info is in the manual, or in some vid, but it would be nice to have all that in one place.

+++ Historic info is important, but ingame info is much more so, for me at least. Engine management, ammo type and count, and the like I have in mind. A bit like in an aircraft manual: "supercharcher set to stage 2 at xxx meters", etc. I'd like to have the info in HardBall's Viewer and Il_2_Functions_4.07.xls merged together, extended, upgraded and incorporated. But I think it would require a different type of object viewer, for sure.
Anyway, most of the data I'm interested in are already programmed into the game -- the only problem is that I can't access them in a convenient way.
As to the willingness to contribute, translations into Hungarian (from English or German) would be pretty useless, ehh? :rolleyes: