PDA

View Full Version : Demo causes computer to shut down!

pwinant
09-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I've been playing computer games for decades but this is one I've NEVER seen...

I can start the demo fine, select a new character (paladin) and go through the intro video, but as soon it loads the game up (after it "fills up" the circle showing the loading progress) my computer turns off. I don't mean it does some kind of Windows shutdown, it's literally like somebody flipped off the power switch! :shock: I thought maybe the power supply had a problem so I rebooted and tried running the demo again and it happened again in the exact same spot. I'm fairly computer-savvy but I didn't even know it was possible for any application to do that to a computer. :!:

I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS and a SoundBlaster X-Fi. Can anyone explain why this might be happening or suggest any way to fix or debug it?

Thanks!
Phil

Lord_Loffen
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
it may be overheated. It happened to me on another game, bu i solved it to remove all objects very close to the processor(don't now the real name. it's the thing that blow outs air)

Imperial Dane
09-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds odd indeed.. How old is your computer if i may ask ?

Ball Buster
09-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Well... Regarding to the graphics card, his computer seems to have two years or less (in the case he doesn't have changed only the graphics card, of course).

About the problem, you may try to set the graphics parameters in a different way, you know, disable the anti-aliasing, change to a lower resolution... It may be annoying to play, for example, in 800x600, but at least you can play the demo until the game would be released, don't you?

pwinant
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the suggestions. It turned out that the power supply was failing. :-P I'm guessing that in the first few screens of the game the video card didn't need that much power so it was ok. But once it tried to display a 3-D screen the video card needed a lot more power and the power supply failed. I bought a new one yesterday and now everything is fine.

Ball Buster
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Glad to read that ;) May you enjoy the demo as much as we enjoyed :mrgreen: