PDA

View Full Version : How far in demo did you make it?

saabas
09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
OK, completed the demo, which is awesome btw, and had some questions for other players.
How far did you make it in the tournament? I beat the lvl 3 and lvl 5(or was he 6?) enemies easy , but lvl 10 Medusa is a handful. If i had picked chaos magic 2 i might be able to win that fight , so i might restart to check that out. Also the proper skills for spirits of rage can make it lot easier.

Also anyone succeed in making the final upgrade to the Mage staff that you can buy from Hunter? Even the first upgrade fight was pretty hard (probably hardest in the demo, that i still won). Final upgrade fight looked insanely hard for lvl 5 mage- all enemies were in bunches of 1000+++, so dont think ill be able to win that on in demo.

Also seems 5 and half levels is max from demo(unless you win medusa). Done all quests i can find, killed all enemies, so cant wait for more :D

Lord_Loffen
09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
It's possible to beat medusa with a level 5 mage. I have done it. Just get a strong evil shoal, much mana and fireball

Edit: Did (probably) everything you could do in the demo

Spiralkill
09-18-2008, 06:51 PM
what was the difficulty setting?
Seems impossible to pass the lvl 6 test or even lvl any item on impossible difficulty.

BTW, how did u complete the quests that are outside of the Demo area ( like finding the witch for example).

Imperial Dane
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Completed all the quests several times and beaten up most of the monsters bar the ones that i just didn't find interesting (Dragonflies :P)

I won over the goblins in the tournament but that is it, the next one generally caused problems.

and until now i didn't know items could be upgraded.. probably missed that during the ring briefing :P But they generally seem very tough as well, the one for the officer's rod being quite out of limits for the demo i think. But i think the mage staff is managable.. just need more troops and a few more levels as i just started out on that mage. Also playing on hard so that probably got something to do with it as well.

Lord_Loffen
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Easy, but i haven't beaten her on another. Also you can't do the witch quest inn the demo, can you?

Imperial Dane
09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Afraid not, that and the circus master quest, the temple donation quest and the spare parts for the dirigible quest.

Lord_Loffen
09-18-2008, 07:28 PM
circus master? i must have missed that quest! or is it the quest with the polar bear? You can actually do the polar bear quest. Head to right a little before the beach where you can buy a boat

Imperial Dane
09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh no, that is the quest after the one with the polar bear, the animal trainer afterwards request your help with something else that involves you going off to look for a circus master.. who is not in Greenwort.

Ryder
09-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Reading this thread it seems I've missed a few quests. Unfortunately that means I'm going to have to play again. :grin:

saabas
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow lot of replies.

Its cool to know that the Medusa is doable, i wasted lot of runes first time around, so couldnt kill her. I was lvl 5 and the spirits were 4 and 5 respectively, and both had good AoE skills. Still on normal difficulty i couldnt beat her. So ill try again now on hard but with better spent runes. Thats the only thing that i havent done in the demo i think- cant wait for full.

Anyone actually use the undead together with zombie wife? And can she have a baby as zombie :p ?
And what bonus does your baby have ? Mine has a very scary +10 rage- cause apparently little (zombie?) babies are that full of rage.

jake21
09-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Is it possible to remove the curse from the ring in the demo or are the keepers in a section of the map you can't reach?

Also is it possible to get 1000 leadership in the demo?(I have 918 and I'm level 5).

Sarcerok
09-19-2008, 02:31 AM
No you can't have babies with the zombie chick (at least as a zombie), but you should try it (I won't ruin it for you) because what she says when you try is hilarious. I don't think beating medusa (L10 tournament) is possible on normal difficulty, even if you get really lucky on the items/mobs the shops have. Easy difficulty really doesn't count since on easy she is at half strength, you have 4X as much gold, and your rage builds like twice as fast. That means you are three or four times as powerful on easy difficulty (relative to the mobs).

But I managed to get to L5.5 with the warrior and paladin on normal diff, and 5.0 with the mage (no leadership items in shop, could not reach 1k leadership for the test of will). Besides all of the mobs and quests you can do, you can also get a lot of xp for doing the mage guild's Test of Will, the first (L3) and second (L6) Knight's guild tournaments, and you can do item upgrades. Yea the first baton upgrade (and there are 3 upgrades!) is way impossible in demo. Some games the baton does not show up though so you are lucky if you get it at all. I was able to win upgrade fights on the druid's staff, the Disciple's Staff, and the steel strip (belt). The belt upgrades nicely.

What items/mobs appear in the shops totally can change your game so even at the demo level there is a lot of replayability. I can only imagine how much greater that is in the full version. For instance normally I never take robbers since they are L1 mobs, are very expensive for L1 mobs, and give a negative moral modifier to human mobs. But if you get the chieftain's belt (+5 to robber attack) and also take the dezombified wife (+1 robber speed and initiative) they actually become super units. Since all units are somewhat equalized by leadership caps, having significant bonuses like that can really make some units very powerful. I especially like the robbers for ninja looting the chests on round 1 before the other side can grab them since their greed ability lets you tport to the chest and grab it. Downside is that at 50 coin per, they must be the most expensive L1 unit in the game.

I think about the only thing I haven't tried yet is killing the talking plant, which I assume is a super stupid thing to do normally since you can recruit like 3000 plants there if you complete that quest non-violently. Has anyone killed it to find out what happens?

Sarcerok
09-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Jake, yea you don't have to go anywhere to defeat the keepers of the ring, they are in the ring :) A nice feature that I don't think I have ever seen in a computer game. Just right click the ring then click on "Suppress". Which is also what you have to do if you are wearing an aligned item (with a morale level) that gets upset with you. You do the same thing with items that can be upgraded. You know, the items that have one or more additional names shaded below the item name at the bottom. For those right click and then left click "Upgrade". Save your game first though since these are generally the hardest fights in the demo. The suppress fight looks easy at first but the 4 or so red imp towers can fireball you mercilessly so drop them asap.

As far as leadership numbers, it depends on three things: Your class, the items you find/buy, and how many levels of Glory you bought. Glory on the mind list is an awesome ability (especially early on) but eats a lot of runes. It gives +100/+250/+500 Leadership (for levels 1/2/3 respectively). The baton, if you are lucky enough to find it, gives 250 leadership. The upgradable armor items seem to give leadership if you upgrade them successfully. I would think that if you tried to max Glory and you had some luck on items you could hit 2000 with a Warrior or Paladin, and 1000 with a Mage in the demo.

jake21
09-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks!! Will try it now - and end this post after I try it :) Also I managed to reach 1000 leadership !!!!

Ok that seems to be about all I can do in the demo (I was a paladin but did the mage test and level 3/level 6 paladin tests). Well this was a lot more enjoyable than the HOMM-5 demo and seems like it will be a fun game. Combat is not quite as rich as age of wonders/shadow magic but the quest system is more interesting.

Oh and I was able to marry the zombie chick. And we're gonna have a kid :)

One other comment would be nice if you could zoom a bit out and if you could get a list of key board commands :)

Ryder
09-19-2008, 03:12 AM
I think about the only thing I haven't tried yet is killing the talking plant, which I assume is a super stupid thing to do normally since you can recruit like 3000 plants there if you complete that quest non-violently. Has anyone killed it to find out what happens?
I killed it in my Sorcerer game yesterday. What happens? It dies. That is all.

jake21
09-19-2008, 04:14 AM
Oh wow. I made it crash. As a mage I wore the wheel (+2 defense -1 int) and kaboom.

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
And what bonus does your baby have ? Mine has a very scary +10 rage- cause apparently little (zombie?) babies are that full of rage.
I had a son who took the belt slot and gave me +10% XP, and a daughter who took the armor slot and gave me +10% mana.
If I found a better armor part for my wife, is it possible to replace the baby with it? :/

I don't think beating medusa (L10 tournament) is possible on normal difficulty, even if you get really lucky on the items/mobs the shops have.

[...]

What items/mobs appear in the shops totally can change your game so even at the demo level there is a lot of replayability. I can only imagine how much greater that is in the full version.

I finished the demo in normal mode with the warrior, the paladin and the mage, and I also think it is not possible to kill the level 10 medusa.
I have 1100 leadership with my Warrior, without any point in glory. My character is not well built but of course I was discovering the game and its content.

The random part of the item shops, mobs, and also some bonuses on the map helps a lot for the replayability, but sometimes it's quite frustrating to get random wrong bonuses, for example att or too much def when you play a mage. :D
If I remove the only item -the staff- that I bought by choice (all the other stuff is found), my stats are 1 att, 3 int and 7 def. :l

About the moral choices to do when questing, It seems that it's often kill/don't kill, and the reward seems to be always better when you don't kill. It would be cool to play a quite evil character that will have access to different but cool rewards/other quests.

jake21 : I had the same problem (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=49926&postcount=21), and spamm told that the bug is fixed in the last patch released

spamm
09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
If I found a better armor part for my wife, is it possible to replace the baby with it? :/
It is't possible. The baby blocks the slot.

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
... :(
Proof that you always have to think a lot before having babies.

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Well i do hope there will be more interesting moral choices, because as you said, it seems like you get more out of not killing than killing.. But i do think there will be quests for evil characters, i mean there are skills that work towards that.

Otherwise just started up on a game on normal just to try out the idea of upgrading items as i think it might be a little out of my league on hard.

saabas
09-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I got tired of restarting, so i gave my new char some runes, money and leadership. So he has now all maxed skills and maxed spells. It seems to me that most of fighter/paladins skills have very limited usefulness, guess im too mage oriented :D He also has 4K peasants with him, as these are the only unlimited troops. This enabled me to check a little further in the demo.

The lvl 15 fight gives you 75K gold and 3500 XP should you win it. Now trying the lvl 30 fight- which is WAY too hard to figh with lvl 1 troops- all mobs on map did at least 2500 damage in 1 hit. There were 30 Dragons in 3 groups of which 1 was the elite stronger dragons (black dragon), about 5000 Dragonflies on 2 groups (these are the only easy to kills mobs in that fight), some 150 Knights, and 213 unicorns- so a leadership around 22 K.

Sadly in my game i have only the upgradable sword, which was a tough fight but turned the crappy sword into nice +2 Att +2 Int Flame sword.

It seems items can have multiple levels as well, even without upgrade. As last game i know i wanted badly a helm that had +3 INT and was too expensive for me. This game i got the same helm, but with only +1 INT. So luck with items has more effect then character building id say.

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Well i do believe that there is some other sword out there which can be upgraded to a higher degree than the first one ;) But that is the one i got at the moment as well with my warrior. Also i noticed that there are set items as well, i think it was the knights shield which tipped me off to that.

Daedalus
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
cool, didn't know you could upgrade items.

just started a pally, he got lucky with the shrine behind the magic school which gave him 80xp which helped :)

we'll see how far i get with him, mage i got about lvl 5 +1/4th lvl.

as a side note; anyone know just how the ultimate pally skill works? i took it at lvl 2, got 10 might & Magic runes although i have no clue if i actually get the extra runes when picking up mind runes as there is no indicator of this.

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Well there is one that turns mind runes into the other two types.. but that is all, never got enough runes for that.

Right now i am trying my hand at upgrading items.

spamm
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
anyone know just how the ultimate pally skill works?
You receive 10 might runes and 10 magic runes for 10 mind runes at each level of skill.

1 level: +10 might runes, +10 magic runes cost: 10 mind runes
2 level: +10 might runes, +10 magic runes cost: 10 mind runes
3 level: +10 might runes, +10 magic runes cost: 10 mind runes
that's all.

Daedalus
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
i know that the immediate effect of taking the skill is that you invest 10 mind and intantly get 10 might and 10 magic runes

the skill description states however that you also get extra might & magic runes when receiving mind runes but i picked up 1 mind rune so the floating text appears "+1 mind runes" but i don't think i received extra runes from the pickup as the skill states.

lord_nisse
09-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I've seen a lot of you talking about a zombie wife and a baby. Is this in the demo?? I haven't found anything like that.

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Once you have completed the quest involving the cursed ring, you have a chance of getting a wife who is a zombie,but with a magic word she can be turned human and that way you can have a baby with her ;)

lord_nisse
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Once you have completed the quest involving the cursed ring, you have a chance of getting a wife who is a zombie,but with a magic word she can be turned human and that way you can have a baby with her ;)

Must have been drunk or something when I played the game because I can't even remember a quest involving a cursed ring... :grin:

Where do you find that quest??

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
You get if from the Town Eldar after completing the quest with the talking thorn.

lord_nisse
09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
You get if from the Town Eldar after completing the quest with the talking thorn.

Ok, thanks. That meens I have a reason to play the demo again yahh :grin:

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh there are plenty of reasons to play the demo again and again :D

sinava
09-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Was able to get to level 5 finished off all the enemies excpet teh levels 5 medusa and the swordsmen guarding the king's tent

Zhuangzi
09-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Okay, I think I have done just about everything you can do in the demo.

- I played all three classes.
- I got to 1000 leadership with the Warrior so I could do the trial at the Magic School.
- I completed all the quests (except of course for those which lead off map).
- I killed all enemies on the worldmap.
- I competed in the tournaments up to but not including the level 10 Medusa.
- I fought a couple of upgrade battles for the staff.
- I got married to a zombie.
- I made it to level 5.

Is there anything else that can be done in the demo? There's no way of actually 'winning' is there?

God I love this game! :-P

Imperial Dane
09-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Well in addition to the things i have done earlier i've managed to beat the second entrant in the tournament and won the test of will... Still working on upgrading an item.. those fights are tough, particularly because of those gremlin towers .

Zhuangzi
09-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Those upgrade fights are tough - but I found that the Evil Shoal spell is especially good, and better when it's upgraded. You have to fiddle around with the target square to try and get as much killed as possible. You've got to take out at least one tower on your first turn...

I make sure I have lots of rage before attempting these fights. There is a potion you drink that converts mana into rage. This is very good for a warrior character, because you still get kick ass rage spells while ignoring the actual spellbook.

At the end of the demo I had:

5 Knights
5 Archmages
5 Horsemen (this guys kick ass)
30 Swordsmen
13 Ancient Bears (not my favourite, but I ran out of other units)

With level 6 rage spells, I was able to take down a few upgrade fights. :cool:

Imperial Dane
09-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Even with evil shoal the battles are still hell or at least the upgrade fights i have tried so far.. on normal.

Update: Well managed to win the one with the mages staff.. with a mage, with heavy casualties though, but i got it ! :D So far it looks to be the easiest partyl because the gremlin towers there are not so tough plus the troops there are not so strong.

saabas
09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
For all the tough fights i actually only used Spirits and spells. The troops are only there to keep the fight going until everyone is dead. So to my surprise the best troop is actually peasants- they are unlimited and you can have a ton of them at once. Also enemies dont go for them at first, so in the toughest fights ive had, they are the last and only ones surviving.

I really hope there are more skills in full game, as it seems not a lot of gamechanging stuff there. Also beacuse the animations are so slow (even when set high in options) i really dont wanna play warrior/paladin, as it takes ages to kill stuff with troops, when few fireballs clear the place lot faster.

Imperial Dane
09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
While not all the skills don't seem all that impressive, they still have their benefits without a doubt. But i think the real powers lie in artifacts. As for troops not being useful, far from it. Sure spells are nice, but they are limited in many ways and so are spirits, i prefer a combination of all to be honest, though i don't mind lobbing the occasional fireball into the fray :D

But i am curious as to how many upgradable items there are and what bonuses they might offer.

And while spirits are nice, they quickly tend to end up being only as useful as troops or even less so since you only have one per round.

Spiralkill
09-21-2008, 02:43 PM
For all the tough fights i actually only used Spirits and spells. The troops are only there to keep the fight going until everyone is dead. So to my surprise the best troop is actually peasants- they are unlimited and you can have a ton of them at once. Also enemies dont go for them at first, so in the toughest fights ive had, they are the last and only ones surviving.

I really hope there are more skills in full game, as it seems not a lot of game changing stuff there. Also beacuse the animations are so slow (even when set high in options) i really dont wanna play warrior/paladin, as it takes ages to kill stuff with troops, when few fireballs clear the place lot faster.

like I stated in the "Rate the paladin" thread, it all depends on the lvl u play. on easy (finally forced myself to play at that difficulty to see what every one is talking about) you are right most of the fight is done by rage spirits and magic but on impossible troops has a major part. I also believe that magic and the spirits are a bit off balance at start but as you lvl up troops take a bigger part (but we have to wait for the full version to confirm that ;) ).

BTW i managed to get my Mage to lvl 6 :) at easy, Medusa (lvl 10 test) was really easy but the lvl 15 was out of my league.

Kemot722
09-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I stopped at lvl 4. I can't find one guy (Archon? in forest) and I don't know yet how to defeat power of ring from Rina-zombie. I start again from save state with lvl 2 and I try to find another way to complete the missions - for example I bought a cow for Royal Thorn this time without fight this strong plant. I want to use more diplomacy :)

Ball Buster
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
The quest of the guy named Archon can't be completed in the demo, he's not in any forest of the demo version, I guess is in another area of the full version ;)

Imperial Dane
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Archon.. isn't he the circus master ? If so, yeah, he isn't in the demo.

The quests that cannot be completed are:
The second quest from the menagerie
The quest from the bishop or deacon or other high cleric from the knights temple.
The quest from the Mage School
The Quest from the Dwarven Airskipper.

Zhuangzi
09-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I stopped at lvl 4. I can't find one guy (Archon? in forest) and I don't know yet how to defeat power of ring from Rina-zombie. I start again from save state with lvl 2 and I try to find another way to complete the missions - for example I bought a cow for Royal Thorn this time without fight this strong plant. I want to use more diplomacy :)

You need to remove the curse from the ring. You do this by right clicking on it in the hero menu. Then you fight to uncurse it. This fight is quite easy.

Ball Buster
09-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, in fact, you don't need to defeat the Keepers of the ring to complete the quest of Rina. I tried to kill the miller and then go to the thieves guild, and I was able to remove the curse of Rina. But yeah, I have to say that the first time I did that, it was a little weird situation because the hero knew the magical words to remove the curse without having defeated the Keepers, and consequently without having spoken for the third time with the mages :rolleyes:

jake21
09-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Does the embalm (sp) you choose at the start of the demo have any effect ? If so what ?

Imperial Dane
09-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Embalm ?.. What are you talking about ?

hawker
09-22-2008, 08:56 AM
I think he means emblem. No, it doesn't have any effect in the game.

Imperial Dane
09-22-2008, 09:03 AM
The Emblem ? No it's just for show and doesn't serve any purpose beyond that.

Daedalus
09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
anyone notice how you get almost twice the amount of runes at easy when compared to normal difficulty and a bit more than half the normal amount on hard and impossible?

i've managed to get to the lvl 15 tournament challenge with my lvl 6 mage now, the ogres are a pain in the ass not to mention the giants with their stomp :/

the leadership item upgrade fight 1 is really hard (like about 200 swordsmen split across 5 groups, 4-5 Towers and a pack of archmages) when compared to the staff upgrade lvl 1.

maybe these fights could be doable if i could get my chaos magic to lvl 3...

Zhuangzi
09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
anyone notice how you get almost twice the amount of runes at easy when compared to normal difficulty and a bit more than half the normal amount on hard and impossible?

i've managed to get to the lvl 15 tournament challenge with my lvl 6 mage now, the ogres are a pain in the ass not to mention the giants with their stomp :/

the leadership item upgrade fight 1 is really hard (like about 200 swordsmen split across 5 groups, 4-5 Towers and a pack of archmages) when compared to the staff upgrade lvl 1.

maybe these fights could be doable if i could get my chaos magic to lvl 3...

Easy? Meh. :rolleyes: I am finding Hard to be a good challenge, so I am thinking about playing the full game on Hard straight away. Those of us cutting our teeth on the demo are going to be a bit better than the casual gamer when we start playing the full game. :-P

varia
09-23-2008, 03:09 AM
I've "fixed" the game a bit to see whats in the demo.

http://dlclan.servegame.com/images/kb1.jpg

edit:
sry, i didnt know there are cheats available, i wouldnt mess with mem editor :)

zhaozhilong
12-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I managed to beat Big Plato (L15) on Easy with Warrior, after more than 5-6 times of trying and retrying.....In the end, I loss all my other units, with the exception of my original 8 Horseman and 150 Plants......

I have sorta of cheated, by spawning plants, 1550 of them at a leadership of 1584. (required leadership is ten times).

The resultant battle is just hiding my horseman with Gloth and pray that everyone will avoid me.

Anyone managed to do the same with the dragon armies next ? I think I will give up on it

TNGOG
12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I am going to download the demo later today, but buy the game when the price drops to 29.99 :)
This game looks interesting and fun to play, a nice RPG. I never heard of the genesis version tho.