PDA

View Full Version : Will the US version of King's Bounty have Starforce?

wolfing
09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I have the game preordered at Amazon.com, but I saw someone's comment somewhere that it may have Starforce. I'm still on time to cancel the preorder, does anybody know if the Atari/US version will ship with Starforce protection?

Imperial Dane
09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Well in the same there was a thread that mentioned that in the russian versions it was later removed, and even that you could easily remove them afterwards.

wolfing
09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Well in the same there was a thread that mentioned that in the russian versions it was later removed, and even that you could easily remove them afterwards.
Yes but the damage is done then... I don't want that malware in my computer. I am really looking forward to owning and playing this game (thus my preordering it), but I am not installing anything with Starforce in my PC.

Imperial Dane
09-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Starforce isn't malware, it's a copy protection system, a rather agressive one, but not malware, otherwise, why the hell would developers and publishers use it ?

Tuco
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Starforce isn't malware, it's a copy protection system, a rather agressive one, but not malware, otherwise, why the hell would developers and publishers use it ?
Starforce broke my previous DVD writer. I will *never* install it again on my PC.
Never.

Nike-it
09-16-2008, 05:56 AM
USA version will not use Starforce protection.

Imperial Dane
09-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Will the European version ? or is it just the same as the American one ?

Nike-it
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Will the European version ? or is it just the same as the American one ?

Europen version also won't use Starforce.

Tuco
09-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Can we know if there will be a digital delivery edition?

Nike-it
09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Can we know if there will be a digital delivery edition?

Yes, there will be (for example gamersgate, 1c publishing etc.)

pkt-zer0
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
What sort of copy protection (if any) will it use, then?

wolfing
09-17-2008, 03:38 AM

WOOT! thank you

Nike-it
09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
It will use SecuRom both in USA and Europe.

pkt-zer0
09-17-2008, 11:37 AM
It will use SecuRom both in USA and Europe.
And what version/variety? Because if it's like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Spore (90% of user reviews on Amazon are one-star reviews due to SecuROM), I'm not sure that's a good idea.

megakill
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Don't worry - online activation won't be needed.

HodgePodge
09-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Okay, I really, really want to buy this game; but until I'm assured by the official 1C big-wigs that StarForce is NOT going to be used then I will hold off buying it.

Well, 1C … Can you assure your customers that StarForce will not be included with the game?

CrashMonkey
09-18-2008, 04:00 AM
So the rumors of "FrontLine ProActive", from the makers of StarForce, aren't true? or is that only for the digital distribution copies?

Nike-it
09-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Okay, I really, really want to buy this game; but until I'm assured by the official 1C big-wigs that StarForce is NOT going to be used then I will hold off buying it.

Well, 1C … Can you assure your customers that StarForce will not be included with the game?

The USA and European versions will not use Starforce. It is official info!!!

Coin-coin le Canapin
09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
And what version/variety? Because if it's like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Spore (90% of user reviews on Amazon are one-star reviews due to SecuROM), I'm not sure that's a good idea.The main technical problem is the restrictive number of installations. The "ethical" problem is that the studios are considering the customers as potential pirates.
And I think you can easily see it with the Spore scandal, the result is that the protection didn't stop piracy at all, and the abusive protection only punishes the honest customers.
So, I'd also like to know some details about the used securom protection in the us and european versions of King's Bounty. :)

wainamoin3n
09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
So far, I've read that besides the boxed edition, there will be an online purchase option using 1C's new online shop.
But will there be any Collector's Edition with some nice extras available?

pkt-zer0
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Don't worry - online activation won't be needed.
Now I only have to worry about optical drives becoming unusable, conflicts with antivirus software, or system crashes. :P

Anyway, seconding the question on the Collector's Edition - the deck of cards that came with the Russian version would be nice.

Imperial Dane
09-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I have seen it mentioned, but it looks like to be for the eastern european countries only :(

wainamoin3n
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I have seen it mentioned, but it looks like to be for the eastern european countries only :(

Does that include Romania too? :D I'd love to grab a nice Collector's Edition. After finishing the demo three times, I find it absolutely worthwhile! I'm not sure though if arrangements have been made with the local distributors.

Imperial Dane
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Well i wouldn't mind getting my hands on it either :) Or the regular one for that matter.. but so far nothing has been heard.. Oh well, will just have to keep playing the demo, on my fifth playthrough right now.