PDA

View Full Version : New effects 4.12

Gunny/sK
02-06-2013, 02:09 AM
*In the new video i saw the new effects and lights but want to ask. Is the smoke 3D?

Im asking becouse now if plane is on the fire and smoke is exiting to air it looks very unnatural in 2D. Any aircraft that flies near the damaged plane sees the smoke as small piece of black clouds (dont know what proper word to use) bundled together. And the faster the damaged plane goes the worse it gets and the small clouds get further apart. Also rotating camera or just passing by makes it clearly visible that those textures doesnt fit well together.

*Someone already mentioned it but it would be great to make the forest border more visible. When aicraft is taking off or emergency landing the forest is almost non visible and it can easily make people crash becouse its just few layers on each others horrizontaly so cant be seen if not in different angle.

Blaf
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
*In the new video i saw the new effects and lights but want to ask. Is the smoke 3D?

Im asking becouse now if plane is on the fire and smoke is exiting to air it looks very unnatural in 2D. Any aircraft that flies near the damaged plane sees the smoke as small piece of black clouds (dont know what proper word to use) bundled together. And the faster the damaged plane goes the worse it gets and the small clouds get further apart. Also rotating camera or just passing by makes it clearly visible that those textures doesnt fit well together.

*Someone already mentioned it but it would be great to make the forest border more visible. When aicraft is taking off or emergency landing the forest is almost non visible and it can easily make people crash becouse its just few layers on each others horrizontaly so cant be seen if not in different angle.
What i have seen so far, the smoke is still presented by particles (so the problem with higher speeds remains), however there are more volumetric particles instead of 2d sprites used than in original effects.
Unfortunately for smoke fully represented by fluid mechanics (in voxel grid or such), we will have to wait at least few years and im almost sure, that this just cant be done in Il-2...

Lagarto
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Talking about smoke... The columns of smoke marking crash sites always go straight up in the air, which looks odd. I wish something was done about that..

Treetop64
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Talking about smoke... The columns of smoke marking crash sites always go straight up in the air, which looks odd. I wish something was done about that..

...he didn't read the memo.

panzer1b
02-07-2013, 03:02 AM

as said before truly 3d smoke is impossible to do in il2 as the effects are based upon sprites

truly i have never ever seen any game that doesnt use sprites for most effects especially muzzles and smoke effects, its just because given that sprite based effects can be made realostic enough while maintaining a reasonable resorce use. it just does not make sense to actually simulate every single molecule of gas as we dont exactly have anything to run it.

anyways given what ive seen in the vids its still a WHOLE TON BETTER then what was in game before, so honestly im welcoming any change to the somewhat crappy (especially the smokes and explosions (big orange fireball which didnt look anything like an actual explodiing plane) effects that were in game.

and as for the high speed fireball issue its just a matter of spawning the sprites faster to make up for the gap. then again if a plane is going so fast as to make this easy to see ur not going to have that plane close to you for very long so it isnt a huge problem, but if you would like a fix there are many effect packs out there to choose from, most of which make every effect better.

still cant wait for 4.12, so i can finally get even better features, more epic planes, and finally some decent looking effects.

Lagarto
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
...he didn't read the memo.

what memo?

Treetop64
02-07-2013, 11:27 PM
what memo?

Not literally a memo. It's a figure of speech. :grin:

When someone says "Didn't you get the memo?" it means "didn't you hear?" or "haven't you heard?".

Specifically, the smoke effects will be updated in 4.12. Information is in DT's latest development video.

Lagarto
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, I've seen the latest development video, and I doubt it has anything to do with the issue I mentioned. The smoke which currently marks a crash site is a fairly thin, unrealistically rigid pillar, and not a curling, boiling mass drifting with the wind.

SPAD-1949
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, I've seen the latest development video, and I doubt it has anything to do with the issue I mentioned. The smoke which currently marks a crash site is a fairly thin, unrealistically rigid pillar, and not a curling, boiling mass drifting with the wind.

Just out of couriosity:
How is this in CoD?

IceFire
02-08-2013, 05:59 PM

It's not the same in 4.12. I wouldn't worry :)

Treetop64
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Lagarto, I highly doubt that DT would change all of the impact effects without improving the smoke column. The mod from which the new effects are based on changes all of the smoke effects, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you...

Lagarto
02-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Oh well, let's keep our fingers crossed then. By the way, can we have another development video to clear some rampant speculations? It's been a month since the latest one was released :)