PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Wars VS Battle for Wesnoth

Plagy
09-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Fantasy Wars and Battle for Wesnoth are very similar games. Bouth games are turn and base strategies and battle field are divided in hexagons.

But there is major diference in game rules.

Which game have better rules?

bman654
09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I've never heard of it before now. Since it is free, I'll have to try it out.

I can't answer your question though. Have you ever played Fantasy General? The Fantasy Wars game rules are *very* similar to Fantasy General game rules. You can also read the FW faq at gamefaqs.com which might shed some light on it for you.

Ogre
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I downloaded Battle of Wesnoth and have been giving it a shot. Here is a quick overview of the differences

1. BOW is FREE / Open source
2. FW is more polished and professional looking
3. FW has, in my opinion, a more elaborate set of "rules". BOW is FW light when it comes to the combat. For example. ALL attacks in BOW are adjacent Hex to adjacent hex including ranged attacks. ther is no archery support. Flyers in BOW cannot be in the same hex as a ground unit.
4. BOW DOES include unit upgrades and such things as poisoning and magic spells.

BOW is in constant develpment and in the end will out live FW because it has a huge mod community behind it. Something that the FW devs neglected.

The downside is that some of the BOW campaigns aren't well done. I played a campaign last night where the AI was haveing all the fun and taking 10 minutes to run through all its units and move while my turn took 30 seconds to move my 4 units.

Sammual
09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Here is a quick overview of the differences

1. Battle of Wesnoth is FREE / Open source
2. Fantasy Wars is more polished and professional looking
3. Fantasy Wars has, in my opinion, a more elaborate set of "rules".
4. Battle of Wesnoth DOES include unit upgrades and such things as poisoning and magic spells.

Battle of Wesnoth is in constant develpment and in the end will out live Fantasy Wars because it has a huge mod community behind it. Something that the Fantasy Wars devs neglected.

As much as I love Fantasy Wars I like to tinker with things and with Battle of Wesnoth I can do anything I want with it.

If Fantasy Wars had access to a scripting lang then there would be no contest.

Sammual

Ogre
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Agreed. I played through FW once and have now played Wesnoth and I am totally engrossed in making a mod for it.