PDA

View Full Version : Gun effect and Damage Model

Chivas
08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
There have been some interesting comments about damage model and game play in IL-2. It has been suggested and I agree that most times aircraft are still effective dogfighters even after taking significant hits to enhance the players game play.

The damage model in SOW could make a significant difference in dogfights compared to what we currently have in IL-2. Hopefully there will be an option to set the damage models effectiveness in SOW for those who like the current status. Personally I will set the more complex damage model, but options, are what game play is all about.

Early I gravitated to the German aircraft because of the beautifull cockpits and effective cannons

Off-line how many times have we been shot down by someone we've left smoking while engaging another threat. Or when you decide to finish him off, you have a hard time catching him even when his engine is blowing black smoke.

On-line many times I've been in a group of 190's hovering high over a spit fighting a couple of 109's. When the fight isn't looking so good for the 109's we've dropped in and effectively boomed and zoomed him each of us seeing explosions from the 20's and 108's multiple times, but the Spit is still flying effectively getting kills. Eventually the Spit goes down because he has no other option, followed by the chat box stating his superiority with the fact it took six of us to kill him. We usually get a chuckle out of that one. If the damage model was more accurate the fight was over on the first 190 pass.

I really feel sorry for the dedicated pilots using 50's. The fifties are doing damage but the pilot gets very little if any feedback on their hits, unlike exploding shells. I know I've been on the recieving end of the fifties and have been severly damaged, without my oponant knowing it.

The problem is none of the guns are effective enough. It shouldn't matter if your hit with 303's, 50's, or 20's. If you take solid hits, you should be out of the fight period. Your only option should be to bail out, or run hoping you have enough control of the aircraft to get home and land. Forget about continuing the fight. Of course there are vagories where sometimes you may be able to manuover effectively, but that should be in the minority.

Flying SOW will be a whole new experience.

The grahics will be stunning, but the game play will be drastically changed with the new damage model making any weapon more effective.

IceFire
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to what the new damage model can do. Especially for machine guns. Machine guns really aren't that much about melting the physical structure of the plane like cannons do. Cannons rip stuff up and tear it off and turn it into tiny pieces. Machine guns are more the death of a thousand needles approach so damage being done to internal components. The last I read SoW will have everything from oxygen bottles to ammo boxes and so forth. That'll be huge when a machine gun armed aircraft rips all those things up.

The thing is that reality and the gameplay don't exactly agree when it comes to human behavior. The other night I was flying a 109K-4 and I took a hit to my controls. If it were real life I would have bailed out almost straight away. Instead I stuck with it and managed to crash land at home base. I'm not fearing for my life so I took my chances on a wacky crash landing. That part you can never get right...just different levels of involvement.

The one thing that I'm not expecting is planes melting in .303 fire. The .303s were ineffective...often leaving planes full of holes and wounded crew (horrific I know) but with no crippling damage to the plane itself. A solid burst to a 109E with the new damage model will do things like damage the engine, oil, coolant, oxygen, and so forth. There will be holes in the structure but its those vital components. Fire away at the wingtip or the armor plate for the pilot and it'll be much less effective. Either way it'll take a few seconds of continued fire to make it count. IL-2 does this well...SoW will be awesome I think.