PDA

View Full Version : Curse the AI!

wryun
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I just finished playing through the Human Campaign for the first time (Normal), and, facing the Orc army across the river, I decided to stay back from the river by a hex. The theory being that when they charged into the river they couldn't do any damage to me, and I could smack them back the next turn. This strategy included vacating two towns next to the river.

Of course, the grand leader guy decided he'd _cross_ the river into one of the towns (vacant towns are valuable, right? and I suppose he must have had some river crossing ability), and since all you need to do is kill him this meant it was trivial for me to win in the next turn (attack once, he retreats into river, finish him off).

If only the AI had some knowledge of my objectives... (and _never_ put mages/missile units in the front line...)

A bit anti-climactic.

(yes, this post was just a whinge)

coreyh2
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
My experience was slightly similar. I saw the leader on the other side of the river. I attacked him with a summoned golem, a hawk, and then a ballista with the slayer perk. That map kicked my ass a couple times. So many units came out of nowhere.

I'm assuming the real ending to the story will be in the elf campaign. Its going to take me a while.

wryun
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I was considering pulling a similar stunt (i.e. summoning then using some eagles) before I was pre-empted. Still a bit dodgy, but it would have been considerably more satisfying :)

bman654
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah the AI doesn't seem to understand the folly of standing on a river or bridge hex. I just finally got back to this game and am finishing the Orc campaign. I'll start the human campaign next (unlike most people, I played the Orcs first :) )

wryun
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah the AI doesn't seem to understand the folly of standing on a river or bridge hex.

Its over-riding calculations appear to be 'can I kill a unit', or even better, 'can I kill a leader'. Which is generally a good strategy for the long term defeat of the human player (though killing leaders except Pfeil is a waste of time), since it can put one into an unworkable situation after a number of scenarios. But a really dumb calculation in the last scenario...

I just finally got back to this game and am finishing the Orc campaign. I'll start the human campaign next (unlike most people, I played the Orcs first :) )

I'm as amenable to playing the Orcs as anyone, but I was assuming the first campaign in the list was the best difficulty/story-line introduction :)

bman654
08-21-2008, 05:32 AM
I started with the orcs and haven't been "lost". It seems to be a self-contained campaign.