PDA

View Full Version : User-controlled units...

HelloDarkness
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
When I put infantry/vehicle units on my map in the Gem editor I know it's possible to user-control them in the F1 mode, switching sides with the numpad. But is it possible (and if it is, how?) to make them user-controlled in the actual mow:as game? I'm trying to make a multiplayer map with a preset army of about 100 infantry + 10 tanks for each player.

KnightFandragon
01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Are you going to have the tanks precrewed? If not, tanks and vehicles in general are easy, you simply place the tanks on the map and assign them to a player team. Then, once the game starts you buy infantry and crew them then. its easier that way.

Infantry, you would probably have to Autoassign them to the different teams. Tanks can be crewed through autoassign as well.

HelloDarkness
01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Thx for the reply, Fandragon.
Yes, the tanks would be precrewed.
Do you know how to auto-assign them? Does that take scripting?
Just setting a player for the unit when placing them in the editor still makes them hostile towards both team A and B when launching the mp game.
I tried some scripting but could only make them allied, not user-controlled.

Thanks in advance.

KnightFandragon
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes, you have to autoassign them. If they are still hostile to teams A and B then you probably have them set to the wrong player team. I thought it was A was Player 1 and B was player 2.

Auto Assigning is done something like:

You first take the units you want autoassigned, for example a squad of 8 men, and give them tags, hitting W in the F3 mode of the editor will bring up a list, one thing says "tag". Click tag and call them anything you want, but remeber which unit has which tag for later. If its a squad of Germans, you could call them "gersq1", short for German Squad 1, just for ease of order. Next, while in F3 mode and with noone selected, go to the "squad" tab which is on that big gray window on the right of the screen. With the squad tab opened select the units you just tagged as "gersq1" and make a squad, call that one the same as the tag, just for ease.

Next, while in F3 mode still, go to the triggers tab. There, make a new trigger up top, I usually call mine "coop_start". Then, select the coop_start tab and down at the bottom right click and make a delay of like 15. Then right click below the delay and make an autoassign tab. Then, click the autoassign tab, a window should pop up and you then put

Player: Player 1 (or whatever team the units are)
Tag: gersq1

Then hit Ok.

Below that autoassign, make another delay of like 0.2 and make anothe autoassign, which you would put in another unit that has been tagged and squaded up. You repeat this process until all units are autoassigned.

that is the only way I know to do it...its tedious and time consuming, especially for an undertaking like yours, 100s of men and lots of tanks lol. I did one that large only once on one of my defense missions.

Tanks can be squadded up adn autoassigned just like men, 8 at a time.

as for getting this to work in a regular MP battle, well, idk. You can hit F6 for weather and F9 for mission parameters, that has diplomacy settings, you can change them to maybe be friendly towards different players in game and what not.

djsatane
01-22-2013, 02:54 AM
If you gonna autoassign them make sure you dont tag the soldiers inside the tanks by the tag u gonna autoassign because u just need to autoassign the vehicle and anything thats in it or on it will be autoassigned automatically.

KnightFandragon
01-22-2013, 03:00 AM
If you gonna autoassign them make sure you dont tag the soldiers inside the tanks by the tag u gonna autoassign because u just need to autoassign the vehicle and anything thats in it or on it will be autoassigned automatically.

How come when I put a crewed artillery gun in tow on a halftrack in one of my missions the gun didnt come in on the back when the time came? Was it because I had the crew on it tagged as well? If that was why, hmm, will have to revisit that.

djsatane
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
having guns attached will not work as intended, when mission is loaded they will be unnatached and I believe u will either have to pass command g_link between vehicle that will tow it and gun or use command to attach thats in editor before u roll out the car. You can look it up in some missions from mow or even mowas skirmishes or mods to see how some of it is done.

Although I think unmanned gun can be towed without any extra script but I dont remember.

HelloDarkness
01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll get to work asap.