PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any sounds mods for IL2?

virre89
08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

Finally decided to install il2 yet again after a few weeks break since i had to totaly clean sweap my hardware drive and lost everything :(.

Anyway i was wondering if you guys know of any good sounds mods? maybe for engine and gunfire mainly on primary used planes.

Just curious since it just adds so much to the experience, i mean the sounds from the orginala are kindÃ* outdated, and i can't say it feels to autentic even if the game itself is the greatest sim of all time.

Also (if) , you know of any sounds mods will they work with multiplayer or not?

JG52Uther
08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Why don't you just go to the mod forum? If you don't know where it is just go to the ubi forum and read through the threads there to find out.
The mods are not sanctioned by 1C

virre89
08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Why don't you just go to the mod forum? If you don't know where it is just go to the ubi forum and read through the threads there to find out.
The mods are not sanctioned by 1C

Uh,
No and i never said that they were either...

Just asked, since lot of experienced people hang around here...:!:

JG52Uther
08-02-2008, 03:50 PM
As far as I know we are not allowed to talk about them here,so thats why I suggested trying the other forums.

MOH_Hirth
08-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Please no MOD fobia, they prove there are very good mods.

nearmiss
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Remember... mods will alter the IL2 and you may not be able to go onto 4.08 servers for Online play.

fireflyerz
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh for gods sake...Mate, go to "AAA forum" if you want the sound mod ,its eazy to find , you wont be dissapointed ... enough said.:rolleyes:

ElAurens
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Actually the sounds are the weakest part of the mods by far.

By and large they are no better than Oleg's original synthesized sounds, just different from them.

That is unless you feel a Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp or Wright Cyclone sounds like a Cessna 150, and really poorly looped tracks are you thing.

fireflyerz
08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
:confused:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJA7CTz9A

virre89
08-02-2008, 08:38 PM
:confused:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJA7CTz9A

That sounded gr8 :P

123-Wulf-123
08-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Be interesting to see how long this is let run on this "official forum" ...I'm pretty sure by now that, to be honest, Oleg doesn't give a rats ass about the mods, there is no more money to made out of 46 for the most part at this stage.

Frankly while I really objected to the mods, if Oleg doesn't care(and its obvious by now he doesn't) then why should anyone else? illegal or not :(

LEXX
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
How many are now buying FB because of modding? We don't know, but the number is nonzero, and from the forum poastings I've seen may be non-trivial, but I'd hate to make a judgement on a thing like that, until all the facts are in. Whatever. Every FB sold helps make a better BoB And Beyond.

Three types basically...

(1) Previous players who abandoned the sim because of loss of interest, and now are willing to try it again with mods this time.

(2) Old Timer ancient modders from the Sims of Old, the Sims of Reknown, who are now thinking of taking up the far more modern FB to mod.

(3?) I think I saw one poaster at simhq claim that he/she had never had FB, but was going to try it now that its moddable.

123-Wulf-123
08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I suppose really at this stage its all good :)

Although I do not use mods.

123-Wulf-123
08-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Yet.

*Buzzsaw*
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Actually the sounds are the weakest part of the mods by far.

By and large they are no better than Oleg's original synthesized sounds, just different from them.

That is unless you feel a Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp or Wright Cyclone sounds like a Cessna 150, and really poorly looped tracks are you thing.

A Pratt and Whitney R-2800 sounds different depending on the aircraft it is installed on.

For example, in the case of the P-47, the exhaust is routed through a complicated series of exhaust tubes to that huge turbocharger in the belly, and that acts to smooth out the pulses of the exhaust and muffle them. The P-47 was a very quiet plane compared to most WWII fighters. Maybe quieter than a Cessna... ;) (don't base you opinion by the way, on the sounds you here from vintage Warbird '47's. Many of them are running non-original Pratt and Whitney's from transport aircraft, and don't even have the turbocharger hooked up)

On the other hand, the Corsair had a three stage supercharger, and the exhaust came right out the stacks. It is a noisy bugger. I know, I've heard one start up and run more than a few times.

Neither the so-called sound mod, or the original IL-2 sounds take that into consideration.

ElAurens
08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm speaking mostly of the R-1830 in the P36. The R-2600 in the B25 is also far from correct. I've actually flown in one of those. I'm no n00bie to real aircraft, and neither are most of my BlitzPig squadmates, and to a man they all would revert to the original sounds if possible. While not correct they are not nearly as offensive as the amaturish attempt in the sound mod.

I know all about the turbo installations on the P47, P38, B17. I've heard them all fly. And a real Bf109, and real Spits, Hurricanes, P40s, P39s, P51s, B17s, a Lancaster, F4Fs, FM2s, F6Fs, F4Us, DC3s, etc... Shall I go on?

Nothing improves if constructive criticism is ignored, or worse, dismissed out of hand do to pride, arrogance, or lack of knowledge.

And don't start with that "well if you think they are wrong then do it better yourself" tripe. I don't claim to be a recording engineer, but I do know what many real warbirds sound like, and they don't sound like the sound mod, which was presented to us as an amazing improvement. It's more like someone has seen too many Hollywood movies about WW2 and thinks that's the way they should sound.

LEXX
08-03-2008, 04:54 AM
Alot of this may depend on whatever sound system players are using. Granted, Oleg did poast that his sounds (synth?) were best on very advanced, and expensive, computer gaming equipment that few if any of his customers would have. So, maybe the different sounds are....different. I can't tell myself, since I don't even have sound on my computer. I JAM stereo when I play The Sims. It helps me relax during the dogfight woof woof.

El, if what you poasted at the ubi.com is true, I can believe your claim that you don't have the the millions of dollars you said was required to make "realistic" sounds (when you were told to make your own sounds). Most here probably never saw your ubi poast, and it made sense to us at the time. Like you, the modders don't have that kind of money.

Many others are enjoying the new sounds, for whatever reason. Others not, for whatever reasons. They all now share an alternative in being able to choose what works best for them each instead of fighting over access to the Moscow Bureau. Perhaps, if you think they are wrong then do it better yourself. Pass a collection plate round the BlitzPiGG to raise the money if you don't have enough. I myself remain happily without sound, thank you. Although I do have a beeper speaker.

ElAurens
08-03-2008, 07:02 AM
http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/doh.gif

As it is impossible to record all the sounds necessary to do a proper sound mod, I just want a way to revert to the original sounds. That's all.

None of the tools offered at that other place work. And heaven save anyone who goes over there and asks for such a thing, cause they don't understand that someone might not like what they have done, and take it personally and get all hissy about it.

I remember when the driving force for this sim was the advancement of realism. I see now that was just so much BS. Folks just want warm fuzzy feelings and what they think is correct.

It's sad to see this title die.

JG52Uther
08-03-2008, 10:10 AM
El you know you can fly the mod with the original sounds don't you?

ElAurens
08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
PM sent...

LEXX
08-03-2008, 11:57 PM
El, you mean, if you use any mods, you have to use modded sounds? If so, can't the original sounds be used as a "mod?" Or is that how it works Uther?

ElAurens
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah Lexx, the mods seem to require you to have the sound portion working at all times.

:confused:

LEXX
08-04-2008, 01:53 AM
hmmm. That would not be good at all. Have you heard from Uther on this? In the worst case, I assume Oleg Sound could be used as the modded sound. Would this be correct thinking? ie...are there different versions of sounds made by different modders, or just one "stock" sound mod for all that can't be changed at the AAA level of modding.

Can you poast a link to an AAA rated thread that discusses this, like you referenced above? Or if not, give the thread name and what sub-forum, and how long ago?

fireflyerz
08-04-2008, 06:40 AM
You can use the mods without the sound mod , this is an option offered at aaa , but if you do decide to download the sound mod you can then start adding your own sound creations , like the one I made and posted in this thread.

JG52Uther
08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
There is a mod at AAA to remove the new sounds,and still use the mods,but El said it does not work.I personally have not tried it so cannot comment.

proton45
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Please no MOD fobia, they prove there are very good mods.

Oh please, no more post saying "the Mods are great Oleg worshipers are all wrong..." :) :)

fireflyerz
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
There is a mod at AAA to remove the new sounds,and still use the mods,but El said it does not work.I personally have not tried it so cannot comment.

It dosnt remove the sound mod , it just dosnt install it , but you still get all the new flyables and so on , better still, go and take a look for yourself , the forum is free to browse and its a much better way of gettin info than the second hand WRONG info on offer in this thread.

JG52Uther
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Well there you go you see,as I said I don't have that particular mod.I have a few others though ;)

ElAurens
08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
All I know is it has not worked for me.

LEXX
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Does this mean the AAA modding system requires an installer ie...for "the sound mod" which I gather includes setups for potentially modding anything...or can the basic AAA modding system, whatever it is, be manually installed in pieces, with some parts left out, like the new sounds?