PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so about to buy IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and...

tarzan
12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
...install 4.11 and download JoyToKey for my 360 controller. Anything else I need to know?

I've been reading the forums before I purchase to see what I needed.

I'm running an i5-2400 Quadcore 3.1ghz, Radeon HD 6850 1gb and 4 GB RAM on Win 7 64 with a 40" Samsung @1920x1080.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this game (have only played a demo of original on PS3) and wondering if I'm missing anything.

I'm also looking to install a mod (very familiar with installing Empire and Napoleon Total War mods), sounds like HSFX 6 is the best?

Thanks in advance for advice :grin:

P.S let me add that I'm primarily an offline player for the near future if that matters for version and mod

IceFire
12-02-2012, 08:50 PM
...install 4.11 and download JoyToKey for my 360 controller. Anything else I need to know?

I've been reading the forums before I purchase to see what I needed.

I'm running an i5-2400 Quadcore 3.1ghz, Radeon HD 6850 1gb and 4 GB RAM on Win 7 64 with a 40" Samsung @1920x1080.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this game (have only played a demo of original on PS3) and wondering if I'm missing anything.

I'm also looking to install a mod (very familiar with installing Empire and Napoleon Total War mods), sounds like HSFX 6 is the best?

Thanks in advance for advice :grin:

P.S let me add that I'm primarily an offline player for the near future if that matters for version and mod
Welcome to the addiction! :)

The system sounds more than enough, the 360 controller might be alright but if you get into this you'll definitely want to think about a more full featured flight stick.

HSFX is the most popular one I see around. I actually just fly stock but many people like the MOD packs and HSFX does seem to be the best option these days. So you're pretty much on the way.

One thing, just so you're not surprised or disappointed, but the IL-2: Birds of Prey demo you played on PS3 is only very loosely related to the IL-2 1946 series on PC. The original IL-2 for PC was released in 2001 and has been upgraded through retail and both official and unofficial releases since that time. On PC there are MANY more aircraft, a much greater variety of things that you can do, and single player isn't as pretty but it's expansive. Birds of Prey has better graphics going for it for sure but the depth to it isn't there like it is for IL-2 1946 on PC.

Just don't want you to be shocked. They aren't the same game.

PilotError
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Tarzan,

+1 to what Icefire has said above.

Also the boxed version of IL2 1946 comes on dvd as 4.07. You have to install all the previous patches to 4.11 BEFORE you install patch 4.11. Here is a link to a previous thread with all the details you will need:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31667

With Win7 you should install IL2 1946 somewhere other than the default Program Files folder on your hard drive, otherwise you will find it difficult to make changes to the program. eg: > C:\IL2 1946

Hope that helps.

tarzan
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info, just making sure I was on the right track. Yeah after reading this forum I knew there was a lot more content on the PC version, but a big difference in graphics? Even with settings maxed out? I've seen some PC screenshots that look really nice, nice enough for me to get hooked anyway.

I do realize that this is a sim and not arcade, that's the big draw for me here and yeah, I'm looking at joysticks and reading threads. I think my big reluctance is I like to be able to look around with the right stick and fly with the left, using triggers as rudders etc, just don't see how I can do that with joystick?

I will install all updates to 4.11 (thanks for link)

And thanks for the folder advice

IceFire
12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info, just making sure I was on the right track. Yeah after reading this forum I knew there was a lot more content on the PC version, but a big difference in graphics? Even with settings maxed out? I've seen some PC screenshots that look really nice, nice enough for me to get hooked anyway.

I do realize that this is a sim and not arcade, that's the big draw for me here and yeah, I'm looking at joysticks and reading threads. I think my big reluctance is I like to be able to look around with the right stick and fly with the left, using triggers as rudders etc, just don't see how I can do that with joystick?

For the stock game you can have a look at Team Daidalos' YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaidalosTeam?feature=watch

That's basically what it looks like now. There are efforts to improve the visual effects and upgrade them for the 4.12 patch and they look great so far. It's not quite as flashy as Birds of Prey but it looks good. There are some cockpits that are simply stunning and some older cockpits (like the MiG-3) that haven't been visually upgraded since 2001 or 2002.

But the game does still look great IMHO. With MOD's it can look really impressive but even the stock game continues to improve as Team Daidalos works on it. Net benefit to everyone on MOD and stock versions really.

As for single player stuff... definitely check out Mission4Today: http://www.mission4today.com/

A warehouse of single player missions and campaigns. Some are good, some are not... but there are some real classics on there and you can probably find whatever single player content you're interested in. The benefit with the PC version, beyond the expanded scope, is the full mission builder and how accessible it is for players to build a lot of content into the game. So there is a near unlimited supply of whatever you want and because the scope is so big it could be bomber interception over Japan, or tank busting during the Battle of Kursk, etc. It's pretty wide ranging. It has some holes but it's still damn amazing.

Pursuivant
12-03-2012, 12:39 AM
With mods, the graphics can be better, but IL2 focuses more on the simulation of flying WW2 aircraft, while the PS3 version focuses more on the "eye candy."

You'll find IL2:1946 to be a much tougher game than the IL2:BOP.

If you're just intending to play offline, I'd suggest starting out with just the stock game to start. Even with a relatively solid mod-pack like HSFX, there are still more things to go wrong.

Also, the computer AI on IL2: 1946 4.11 is outstanding; that alone made me go from mostly mod to mostly stock.

I'd suggest that regardless of which way you go, you start with "Realistic Gunnery." If you get into the sim, you'll need to learn deflection shooting, so there's no reason to teach yourself bad habits.

Maybe fly in "Invulnerable" mode until you get the hang of taking off and landing.

A good plane of a newbie (especially in invulnerable mode) is the A6M2 Zero. It's relatively easy to take off and land, it's got decent speed, excellent armament and outstanding maneuverability. Other fun planes to fly are the Brewster B239, the Hurricane and the Spitfire. The Fw190 and Bf-109 are a bit more challenging.

A joystick is a good investment for any flight sim. While you might be very good with a 360 controller, a joystick allows you to smoothly and simultaneously coordinate pitch and roll - allowing you to tilt the plane's nose up and down or rotate along the plane's long axis as you fly. If you have a "twist stick" (or even better, rudder pedals) you can also to control yaw - the ability to slew your plane around along its horizontal axis.

jameson
12-03-2012, 12:52 AM
If he's new to this game, he'll have a bit more to worry about than scenery, lol! His mickey mouse controller will be a big help, I'm sure, but then it's rumoured some still play this game with a keyboard. (Still saving for that joystick after 10 years!).
Tarzan, do yourself a favour and buy yourself a stick, then rudder pedals, then headset with mike and then that track ir thingy as well, Then there's the books, Black Cross Red Star vol 1, only £600 on ebay....... Anyways, welcome to the nuthouse! Gaston may be along shortly, so i'm off...

jameson
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Almost forgot, Robert shaw's Fighter Combat must be learnt by heart as well, it's an epic tome dedicated to insomnia I think, at least it helps mine...

IceFire
12-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Almost forgot, Robert shaw's Fighter Combat must be learnt by heart as well, it's an epic tome dedicated to insomnia I think, at least it helps mine...

LOL... yes that sounds about right :)

It's surprising how many players haven't bothered to have a quick look at some basic tactics when jumping into a sim. They really do work and can be valuable.

You don't have to read any of all of this but a few snippets might be useful in here: http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html#briefing

Luno13
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
My first word of advice is to start the game after each patch to make sure it was applied correctly. The version number will appear on the splash screen.

It will be a long process to get the game up to speed, so be prepared. Setting up the mods can be longer. Be sure to keep a vanilla backup of the game in case you mess anything up so you don't have to start from scratch.

As for joysticks: I use a Thrustmaster T.16000. It has great bang for buck ($40 retail) with a hall sensor, twist for rudder, and a throttle slider. In my experience, the similar Saitek Av8r went bonkers within a year.

I kept my stick on the right, and the mouse on the left. It takes a few days to get used to, but it makes flying and looking around very easy. However, I recently bought a TrackIR, which makes looking around very fun. If you're handy, you can use freetrack or facetracknoIR.

Il-2 1946 is the game we all play here. Il-2 Birds of Prey is the console version, and Il-2 Wings of Prey is the PC version of the console game (very odd, I know). Il-2 1946 is based on an engine from 2001, so the graphics aren't cutting edge anymore, but it's arguably more fun than BoP or WoP.

1946:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/rboiko1/IL-2%20Sturmovik/IL-2vsFlak2.jpg

WoP:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7081/6998747791_0ab2f66c21_b.jpg

IceFire
12-03-2012, 03:34 AM
That doesn't look very representative of IL-2 1946... it looks like there is no anti-aliasing, the landscape is bellow even the Excellent level, and the default skin would be back several versions. We should put better feet forward :) Especially with a config that the OP will be going with it'll be more than enough for the best possible settings. Luno is definitely right... make sure you get the right settings both video card control panel (for things like antialiasing for smoother edges of objects as well as for filtering so textures look crisp and sharp. In-game there are settings to ensure you have Perfect landscape settings which enable the highest level features including pixel and displacement mapped water... i.e. the waves move and they are in 3D.

As for images of IL-2 1946... Photobucket appears offline otherwise I would upload a better shot so the best I can offer are the screen shots attached to some of my campaigns. Here's a selection:

East Front: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&screen=4957

West Front: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&screen=4172

Haven't done any Pacific campaigns where I uploaded a lot of screens but those should help. They were done in the last year on 4.11 stock.

Luno13
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it's an old one from when my computer couldn't do the fancy shmancy perfect settings or AA. I just haven't taken any screens on the new hardware :grin:

Still, the color palette and general appearance is there.

tarzan
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Wow, tons of info! I read every post, thanks guys.

I will be back once I get it up and running, downloading now, 4.37GB so it's taking a bit.

I'll post some screenshots of how it looks for me on my machine.

Very confusing series of titles, I settled on 1946 because it seems to have (obviously) the most passionate following!

tarzan
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Re: TrackIr, wow, I didn't know such thing existed! :grin:

Bearcat
12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

First .. WELCOME ABOARD!!

Second.. You need to hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig. Now. It is a pretty up to date guide for Nuggets just coming to the sim. I guarantee you that if you take the time to read it .. and follow much of what is in there your experience with this sim will be much more rewarding.

AS for flyng and looking.. depending on the stick you get you can put your views on either a hat switch or a mouse. The X-52 has a little button on the throttle that you can either program as a mouse or a 8 way hat switch. Beforte I got TIR that was what I used on my old X-45 to look around. It is a little cumbersome at forst but after a while you get used to it and it becomes second nature. I now use that button as a 4 way hat switch at the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions. At 3 & 6 I have it linked to the zoom in and out but as I said it works great for viewing. You can set the speed and have a complete viewing solution.

Forget everything you liked in the console game. Get a joystick. I don't know what your status is lke but if you can afford it get a HOTAS. See the Nugget's Guide for exactly what that is. Any questions you can always either pop back in here, or at SimHQ or M4T and someone will help you or you can just PM me at either of those sites and I will gladly offer up any advice or info you need.

You might also consider signing up for Joint Ops if you have the time.

Pursuivant
12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Second.. You need to hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.

Seconded, this a very good guide to the sim.

AS for flyng and looking.. depending on the stick you get you can put your views on either a hat switch or a mouse.

Whichever way you go for "thing that lets you look around" get used to using it a lot.

One of the keys to winning dogfights - in any flight sim and in the real world - is "Situational Awareness". That is, the ability to know where your plane is relative to the enemy and to friendly planes and what they're all doing.

If you lose sight of your foes, you're potentially screwed and in any case you waste valuable time and energy trying to figure out where they are.

As a start, fly with cockpit off so that you get the red and blue directional arrows and get used to pausing the game and popping out to external views so that you can see where your plane is relative to the rest of the world. Gradually go to full cockpit, and then to no external views.

It's very tough, but you get better with practice.

Janosch
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I recommend going full real asap, with the possible exceptions at first: player's own map icon (helps with navigation), external views for player (for eye candy) and speed bar (for certain Japanese planes).

As people have pointed out, having a decent joystick is the very minimum to enjoy this game. I can imagine the benefits of trackir and hotas, but it's possible to at least learn the basics of this game without them. Game is cheap, the rest isn't, so if you find that you like the game, then you can consider spending more money.
It's all about optimising what little resources you have, recognizing the tactical limitations of your setup - e.g. fast paced close quarter fights are harder - and adjusting your tactics.

At first, I tried using my joystick hat to look around in the cockpit. While it in theory freed my left hand to punch the keyboard, it wasn't a good option. My brain simply can't wrap itself around the concept that I should guide the plane accurately on all 3 axis and use thumb to look around at the same time, even if the hat was halfway decent. Partially for the same reason I avoid firing with the joystick buttons. I use the hat to adjust prop pitch, and you don't even need that with most German fighters!

Mouse is left for scrolling the map - I haven't tried to set it up for views. So, the next best thing is the keypad. Keys 1 to 9 look around, 5 looks up and 0 (keypad ins) is "Look front up". These buttons and their combinations provide a decent way of looking around.

This situational awareness thing is tough, btw. Luckily, flying the planes is easy, since all you need to know is not to yank the stick back or forward at very high or low speeds. Medium speeds are ok, but only if you know what you're doing.

Doogerie
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info, just making sure I was on the r I think my big reluctance is I like to be able to look around with the right stick and fly with the left, using triggers as rudders etc, just don't see how I can do that with joystick?

Ah well tarzan I can help you with that to look around we have this thing called a hat switch on most joysticks that's allot like the thumb sticks that you are so fond of. The other option is Ir tracker this is very popular in our world but it's really whatever you feel comforterbel with. as for rudders you have 2 options you can get a twist rudder on any good joystick this is where along with ford back left and right you have twist left and twist right and this works fine. The other option is to shell out for a par of flight pedals also a good option but again up to you. it would also be worth i to get a Mission 4 today account (it's free) so that you can down-lode a few cool offline missions . also if you f do fly online ever avoid smack talk it 's not usually taken well have fun and look out for BOS if you get in to this it is the new one coming out 2014.:)

MaxGunz
12-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Once you have the basic game patched to the level where you will install a mod, copy the folder (or zip and copy) to a backup on your HD and then get a USB stick bigger than you need and copy into that. Then when you get any further step wrong, you don't start at square 1.

I have to ask the forum, is Joint-Ops still around?

Bearcat
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Once you have the basic game patched to the level where you will install a mod, copy the folder (or zip and copy) to a backup on your HD and then get a USB stick bigger than you need and copy into that. Then when you get any further step wrong, you don't start at square 1.

I have to ask the forum, is Joint-Ops still around?

I don't think so Max.. at least the old link doesn't work any more...

MaxGunz
12-31-2012, 11:09 PM
A major resource for improving players, gone.

For about the price of IL2:1946 there are still EAW CD's on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=european+air+war&_sacat=0&_odkw=eopean+air+war&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Yeah --- Whaaaaat? Why would I want that?

Because on that CD in html are a few meg in training materials worth at least the price of the disk, and I can't be telling people who have the files to pass copies around, can I?
Simple truth is most people I knew who played EAW never accessed that part of the disk even when they really could have benefited from it.

BTW, about 10 years ago I tried to get Hasbro to give permission to copy just that portion and never got an answer.

It's not everything you could ask for but would nod off just looking at but it does have quite a lot of good material and pictures to boot.

wheelsup_cavu
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
A major resource for improving players, gone.

For about the price of IL2:1946 there are still EAW CD's on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=european+air+war&_sacat=0&_odkw=eopean+air+war&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Yeah --- Whaaaaat? Why would I want that?

Because on that CD in html are a few meg in training materials worth at least the price of the disk, and I can't be telling people who have the files to pass copies around, can I?
Simple truth is most people I knew who played EAW never accessed that part of the disk even when they really could have benefited from it.

BTW, about 10 years ago I tried to get Hasbro to give permission to copy just that portion and never got an answer.

It's not everything you could ask for but would nod off just looking at but it does have quite a lot of good material and pictures to boot.
Will need to pull the disc out of the closet and check it out. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Wheels