PDA

View Full Version : Will SOW be Home Cockpit Friendly

Windturbin
07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Question for Oleg...............

For home cockpit builders SOW needs two things IL2-1946 does not have.

1) Option gun sight, nose and propeller view. In IL2-1946 the F1 key toggles the options of Cockpit, no cockpit etc. But those who are sitting in a physical (or home made) cockpit need only to see the gun sight, the nose of the aircraft, wings and the propeller, where the instrument panel and floor normally are should just be blacked out when looking down. And this view needs to have its own keystroke command to activate it (no toggle from one view to the next).

If you have FSX, toggle through the views when flying the EXTRA 3005, I believe it has the view I'm talking about.

also

2) Instrument \ gauge compatibility.

http://www.sgsim.com/

http://www.simkits.com/

??????????????????????

proton45
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Didn't someone figure out some kind of way that "Device Link" can be used with gauges?

Or did they keep that info to themselves...

Windturbin
07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Didn't someone figure out some kind of way that "Device Link" can be used with gauges?

Not that "I" know of, but that would be great if true.

I e-mailed sea gull a while back and asked them if IL2 would read their gauges and they told me no, but they could write\program it to do so for a charge. To where FSX is compatible write out of the box with no programing needed of course. I didn't ask them what that charge would be, I just kinda figured it would be more than I would want to pay.

Feuerfalke
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I think proton45 is right. I remember such a statement on the SimHQ-Forums or was it on the UBI-techie-forums?

IIRC there was also a statement, that those interfaces will be extended for SoW, but always with the sidenote that it was not clear how that will turn out in the final game, as some of the information (e.g. a G-gauge) could be an advantage in multiplayer.

Considering the long lifespan of the game planned and the partial open-source-structure, I'm sure Oleg will support pit-builders more than with IL2.

Windturbin
07-21-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks, I did a search with that info and came up here..................

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7201027043/p/1

ok thats good! But looks like a bit of work, would be better to be plug and play like FSX.

I would still like to note the question to Oleg (or suggestion) for the better in game view option for pit-builders.

Moderator, please make record of it and add it to Olegs question answer list! (who is the moderator by the way?)

Aviar
07-21-2008, 11:27 PM

I believe Device Link only works offline.

Aviar

zapatista
07-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Moderator, please make record of it and add it to Olegs question answer list! (who is the moderator by the way?)

there are no elves trawling those boards looking for useful snippets of info to pass on to oleg. you'r only (and slim) hope of this question being seen by oleg is to post it as a a specific question in "olegs room", which is a sticky thread with questions directed at oleg.

since the new moderator hasnt taken questions to ask oleg from there for 4 or 5 months, and other forum posters have filled the thread with off topic blabbering, i wouldnt hold my breath he will ever see it there either, but post it anyway since its an important question and that is the intended forum place for it.

oleg did state some months ago he intends to support devicelink in BoB, but gave no further detail, and he didnt specify if it could then be used online either.

For home cockpit builders SOW needs two things IL2-1946 does not have.

1) Option gun sight, nose and propeller view. In IL2-1946 the F1 key toggles the options of Cockpit, no cockpit etc. But those who are sitting in a home made cockpit need only to see the gun sight, the nose of the aircraft and the propeller. And the view needs to have its own keystroke command to activate it (no toggle from one view to the next).

that makes good sense, but i have never seen anybody ask for that view. i have used devicelink and that view would be a good improvement on what we have now, it would also be very easy for oleg to add this. you'r best hope would be to get the current il2 devicelink users organized to make direct requests to oleg for this new view while BoB is still being developed and designed, asking for it after release will be to late.

Feuerfalke
07-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Oleg answered to several threads in the past weeks and months. Just because there is no immediate answer doesn't mean nobody cares. ;)

bolox
07-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I believe Device Link only works offline.

Aviar

devicelink itself works fine in multiplayer- except for the instrument readings section (parameters 30-74) everything else works ie trim settings, supercharger settings etc. unfortunately the instrument readings are the 'most needed' for us pit builders:cry:

would be nice to have game data more easily readable by simkits type gauges but think given Oleg's love of msfs ;) we are unlikely to see SOW outputting data directly to such gauges.

there is some hope on the horizon with gary's (fcip project) work
http://www.ge-tec.co.uk/FCIProject/fciproject_004.htm

would love to run 'real' gauges but virtual ones work quite well;)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/bolox00/devicelink/100_1173.jpg

Windturbin
07-22-2008, 02:02 PM
*zapatista...there are no elves trawling those boards looking for useful snippets of info to pass on to oleg. you'r only (and slim) hope of this question being seen by oleg is to post it as a a specific question in "olegs room", which is a sticky thread with questions directed at oleg.

Thanks, done!

*bolox....would be nice to have game data more easily readable by simkits type gauges but think given Oleg's love of msfs we are unlikely to see SOW outputting data directly to such gauges.

I would think (hope) that Oleg wants his sim to be the best, and to be the best IMHO it needs to be capable of doing what msfs does and more :)

*Feuerfalke......Oleg answered to several threads in the past weeks and months. Just because there is no immediate answer doesn't mean nobody cares.

Hope so!

Windturbin
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
@windturbin

(re-directed form oleg question answers)

for your No. 1: You do know that this option is only usable for offline play? Otherwise it must be restricted to "no cockpit" - server and then the people with the home-cockpit will have the disadvantage.

I have not played on-line yet. But yes, I guess this view would be considered as a no cockpit view for online play because you would be able to see more sky.

When I say show the nose of the aircraft, I just mean a few inches of the top of the nose from the bottom of the screen. which would not take away enough view for lots of advantage?

If you have FSX, toggle the views when flying the EXTRA 3005, I believe it has the view I'm talking about.

well, you just made me think of something that might be a problem. When using TIR, when you look down what would you see if the cockpit is gone? Would look great looking straight ahead, left, right and up. But looking down maybe see a floor only or blacked out area where the cockpit normally is would be good.

The pit-builder view would probably be for off-line play only and If a pit-builder played online would just have to switch views I guess.