PDA

View Full Version : Long time no fly + aged user = please help!!

Conte Zero
11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Hello gentlemen. Yes I was planning to get all the stuff back on my new notebook and I'm having major problems.

GPU nvidia gt555 3GB
drivers 306.97
Sturmo rel. 4.10 m

the clouds: they look strange, with white polygons/triangles inside, and the plane leaks black "lines", like a smoke effect. drivers are up to date, I dont understand

I wanted to use 4.11.1 too, and then try stuff like UP 3.0 and Bender's excellent clouds, but I really dont want to spend all that time and build my installation on a flawed basis.

What am I doing wrong? I feel less brilliant lately, once I used to install and uninstall, customize it to death and solve any problem. But today I only feel like and old fart and I do NEED help, please

Thank you all

Conte Zero
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
my other issue is config.ini NOT reading my preferences. I have modded it million times during the last 10 years, it never used to act like this, but now it completely ignores my settings (i.e. widescreen, resolution, etc)
very confused
same for the graphic artifacts, it was ok before...

TheGrunch
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Conte Zero,
Did you perchance install this copy of IL-2 into the Program Files folder? Windows Vista and above does not allow writing to the Program Files folder for unprivileged users. Because IL-2 is an older game, its config file is stored in the game's root folder, whereas newer games use the user profile folders because the user can always write to these. I recommend reinstalling the game into a dedicated folder such as C:\Games\IL2. Hope this helps!

Asheshouse
11-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Graphics problems like you describe are nearly always due to bad settings in conf.ini

Good info to be found here http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,9756.msg185327.html#msg185327

Recommend Storbroer's suggested settings for nvidia

Conte Zero
11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
thank you so much guys

TheGrunch, yes I Do have it in c:program files (x86) etc etc etc, and I've just read an interesting article saying that's a problem

can I freely move my Sturmo folder instead of reinstalling all thw game and tons of patches from 4.07 to 4.11.1 ???

Asheshouse, thank you too, I'm dedicating tonight to read that thread and practice with its instructions

your tips are really appreciated sirs

TheGrunch
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi Conte Zero,
I don't recommend moving the folder as it is as the Windows registry will not be updated (although the game should still work fine by running the il2fb.exe file). If you want to move the game without losing any of your settings you could make a copy of your old IL-2 folder, uninstall and reinstall your game in a new location. Then you can copy the old folder directly over it to regain all your patches, etc.

One other thing to bear in mind is that if you edit conf.ini while the game is running, your edits will be lost when the game is closed, so always edit conf.ini while the game is not running.

Cloyd
11-19-2012, 07:56 PM
IL2 doesn't make any registry entries. You can move it or copy it anywhere you'd like without problems.

TheGrunch
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
IL2 doesn't make any registry entries. You can move it or copy it anywhere you'd like without problems.

Ah, nice to know! Learn something new every day.

Conte Zero
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM

yes , actually I did it meanwhile, works just fine
I created a C: Games folder and put my sturmo folder in there

conf.ini now works fine, keeps my settings so the wide sreen issue was fixed

My major problem remains the graphic glitch, I ma posting two pics to give the idea. Clouds are ruined and planes are subject to sudden polygons "explosions" from certain angles in external views

http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/immagine3.jpg
http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/immagine20.jpg

nic727
11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with clouds in OpenGL but not with the planes... I have texture flickering on the ground and forest. It's why I play in DirectX mode, but I think it's because you don't have a great graphic card or Il2 1946 doesn't support laptop card.

I run Il2 1946 on laptop too :D ---> Intel HD Graphics lol

I hope Daidalos will make a patch for laptop support.

IceFire
11-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Conte Zero,
I don't recommend moving the folder as it is as the Windows registry will not be updated (although the game should still work fine by running the il2fb.exe file). If you want to move the game without losing any of your settings you could make a copy of your old IL-2 folder, uninstall and reinstall your game in a new location. Then you can copy the old folder directly over it to regain all your patches, etc.

One other thing to bear in mind is that if you edit conf.ini while the game is running, your edits will be lost when the game is closed, so always edit conf.ini while the game is not running.

IL-2 1946 only writes one line in the Windows registry and it's essentially worthless these days. So I'd say, move away. No problem.

IceFire
11-19-2012, 11:44 PM
yes , actually I did it meanwhile, works just fine
I created a C: Games folder and put my sturmo folder in there

conf.ini now works fine, keeps my settings so the wide sreen issue was fixed

My major problem remains the graphic glitch, I ma posting two pics to give the idea. Clouds are ruined and planes are subject to sudden polygons "explosions" from certain angles in external views

http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/immagine3.jpg
http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/immagine20.jpg

It looks like either you have a driver compatibility problem or some sort of memory issue (VRAM). Do other 3D applications have any unusual flickering or problems like that or just IL-2? IL-2 is the only one to use OpenGL (regardless of if you select D3D or OpenGL, it's ultimately running OpenGL) but the GT 555m does support OpenGL 4.0 so it should be ok from a featureset point of view.

Running in Perfect Mode may actually solve this problem (I can't tell if you are or not). I recently went back to Excellent to test something and I have giant blocky terrain texture issues. In Perfect mode I have no problems.

Conte Zero
11-20-2012, 06:07 AM
guys thank you

yes, at the moment I am in excellent, not perfect

there's a line in the conf.ini that grants access to the perfect mode, right? I have some tutorial saved and will give it a try tonight

the strange thing is that this game has already been on this machine. months ago I played with no problems but then I uninstalled due to the famous "paratroopers" error. I didn't know it was a known and solved problem

Conte Zero
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
update: NO problems at all on the plane geometry if I fly the Midway map (only water, no land polygons)
clouds are still strang, but maybe this new elements makes a clue (?)

nic727
11-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I think that Daidalos just have to put in the patch a way to put perfect setting without writing in conf.ini, because sometimes it's doesn't work.
For exemple, I know that my graphic card is noob (Intel HD Graphic) for laptop, but I have OpenGL 2.3 and for the game I need 1.2 or something like that.
I have the same problem as you with the cloud and I don't understand that. I did test with OpenGL with GLViewer and I have all feature enable... I just don't understand :confused:

IceFire
11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I think that Daidalos just have to put in the patch a way to put perfect setting without writing in conf.ini, because sometimes it's doesn't work.
For exemple, I know that my graphic card is noob (Intel HD Graphic) for laptop, but I have OpenGL 2.3 and for the game I need 1.2 or something like that.
I have the same problem as you with the cloud and I don't understand that. I did test with OpenGL with GLViewer and I have all feature enable... I just don't understand :confused:

You could always make the change in the game. You go to the graphics settings and select the landscape details as Perfect instead of Excellent.

If it's greyed out it means that you haven't enabled all of the graphics features in the IL-2 setup application. I believe it's stencil buffering that has to be on before Perfect mode becomes available.

Intel HD Graphic's may or may not work in Perfect mode. They support OpenGL yes, but they don't fully support all of the pixel shader features (if memory serves) and therefore still remains inadequate. Conte Zero has a step up as the nVidia mobile cards are more fully featured in the 3D arena and tend to be more powerful anyways. Intels GMA are most suitable to HD video decoding for basic content viewing and sufficient hardware acceleration for Windows and Office (i.e. it can do smooth 3D transitions for PowerPoint). It's not a great gaming option... although I have played StarCraft II (at super low detail) successfully on my laptop. So it works. Just not well.

nic727
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
My Intel HD Graohic support pixel shader 4.0, vertex shader 4.0... It's just gay... I would like that perfect setting could be enable just like that and if my laptop crash, I will saw that my graphic card doesn't support that.