PDA

View Full Version : What is the DRM on Warriors of the North?

Roman
11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Hello all, I bought King's Bounty: The Legend a few months (that's how long word of mouth took to reach me ;) ) after it came out and loved it. Now that Warriors of the North is out, I am interested in buying it too, but before I do, I would like to ask about the type of DRM it employs. I have a strict policy against buying games that use online-based DRM, due to the fact that it makes playing (or installing/activating) the game dependent on external servers that can be shut down later. I don't mind DRM that is uses things like disc checks (which is what King's Bounty: The Legend had and why I could buy it).

With this in mind - does Warriors of the North use DRM that is dependent on external servers? Thanks! :)

sethmage
11-04-2012, 05:12 PM
well... KB uses Steam, so you would have to read up how much you would have to relay on internet connection. Most games can be play *off mode* and the only backlash is not having achievements registered.
Ubisoft is good example how DRM can ruin playability.

5h1nj1
11-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes, as it uses Steam, it is dependent on Steam servers for the activation. I am really sad that even Kings Bounty forces us to Steam now. :(

Dri
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Seriously? There is still Steam hating?

Steam is practically the best thing for PC gaming since modding became widespread. Amazing sales that can literally save you hundreds of dollars on top notch games, a way for indie-devs to get their games to the masses, download and play the games you want on any computer with internet (who doesn't have internet these days?) I could go on...

I've refused to buy game because they DO NOT support Steam. :P

Numbereleventeen
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Yea it's 100% full steamworks. (What this means: No matter where you buy it, even physical copies, require Steam, and a one time online activation. After that you may play offline at any time.)

And imo thats the greatest possible framework there is these days.

And no, WoTN, nor any other Steam game will ever become unplayable should the Steam servers shut down for any reason. The CEO of Valve (Gabe Newell) stated explicitly that they have a patch that they tested to disable all DRM to allow games to be played with no servers. They have their own policy that states they will release said update if for any reason the steam service were to end.

And infact third party version of said patch have been already available.

Being its such a massive, widespread, known system is only a good thing. The games that become unplayable are only the ones that use proprietary, per-game DRM servers..

Steam has no such per game limit, every game will always be available.

Additionally all games that have online features will always offer said features, forever. No other online service offers such an awesome guarentee, and in fact one of its main competitors - origin, explicitly states most games online functionality will be shut down in 3 - 5 years (and many EA titles that old have already had their servers permanently shut down).

keko4321
11-05-2012, 07:40 AM
everyone should support Steam.
Steam what keeps PC gaming alive , i'll kill my self if i had to buy console someday lol