PDA

View Full Version : Hard/No-Reload thumbs up so far!

Puce Moose
10-28-2012, 03:55 AM
I had a chance to dig into the new release today, so I thought I'd post a few impressions.

I'm so happy to get a new King's Bounty game. October has been the best month for new games I can remember in years!

The most enjoyable way to play for my personal tastes has been a no-reload policy on hard difficulty; you go with the flow, try to protect your troops as well as you can, and deal with any consequences. While it's sad having to mentally write a dozen or more "Dear Fijold family, I'm sorry to have to inform you of the death of your brave Viking son in battle" notes, it adds an element of danger that makes the battles tenser, and gives that "RPG" portion of the game a greater kick. If a battle goes horribly for you, attempting to recover from the losses you suffered is part of the charm/challenge.

A few other random observations:
I'm glad that they've not shied away from the ambient life. I've zoomed the camera in and watched red, green, and blue fish swirl in ponds, an owl swivel its head around, chicks pecking on the ground near their mother, butterflies and fireflies flitting and dancing above the earth, and a snow squirrel hopping from branch to branch, sending a fine shower of snow to the ground above me. I love that attention to detail!

The attention to beer paid in many of the opening quests has amused me as well. Any quest can be completed without bloodshed/combat is a worthy addition in my book, and I'm glad to see that there may be at least a few to be found here.

Hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. It's time to take down an unruly necromancer before heading to bed.

Totoro
10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
There should be an achievement for completing the game without reloading.

Although in technical terms that could be difficult to implement.