PDA

View Full Version : Would an Auto Updater benefit Daidalos Team and the community?

Aviar
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Shortly after HSFX 6 was released, their dev team implemented an Auto Updater program: http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3309

As mentioned in the link, the Updater '...automatically updates your HSFX installation with the latest files.'

At first I was a litle skeptical. After installing several updates I now believe the Auto Updater is a real blessing.

First of all, it could not be easier to use. All you do is click on the Updater icon in the HSFX folder. The Updater then contacts the server, determines which files need to be sent, and then automatically downloads and installs the update. No other input from the user is necessary. So, just click on the Updater, go make a cup of coffee and when you return, your game will be automatically updated to the latest version.

I have installed several automatic updates and it has worked flawlessly each time. Although I have never had problems manually installing a patch, I know from the forums that such is not the case for every user.

There is another big advantage for an Auto Updater. Instead of waiting many months or even over a year for that one 'big' patch, smaller and/or more critical patches can be released much more often within the same period.

Here is an example. Let's say I send DT a bug report for version 4.11.1. They respond, confirming the bug and that the fix will be in the next version (4.12). However, it may be many months before the next version is released. Now, with an Auto Updater, it is much easier to release the fix immediately to the community.

I'm sure that releasing that one 'big' version update every year or so is a massive undertaking for DT. Then, there is the 'bug report' time after the patch and then more time again waiting for the 'bug fix' patch.

I'm thinking that using an Auto Updater might benefit both DT and the community by releasing smaller but more numerous updates.

Aviar

Bearcat
10-21-2012, 06:11 PM
A great idea..

nic727
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
great idea

Luno13
10-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Small updates may also benefit those with weak connections (not speaking for myself personally).

|450|Leady
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Great idea.

The auto updater has worked flawlessly for me also. Would be great to have it for 4.12.

Cheers

Leady

Pfeil
10-21-2012, 11:44 PM
In combination with smaller updates an auto-updater could work. Even without them a notification of new versions would be handy for those who don't use these forums.

One issue I see with it is the expectation of quick bugfixes and changes. Team Daidalos is still a volunteer organisation, and as we've seen before some players can be quite, shall we say, passionate about their ideas. Balance and aircraft performance in particular.

The last thing I'd want is for team members to lose interest because they don't feel their hard work and substantial investment of time is fully appreciated.

Tuco22
10-22-2012, 12:08 AM
It would be nice for small fixes, but the bulk content updates would probably be best left in the form we currently get them.

Aviar
10-22-2012, 04:10 AM
It would be nice for small fixes, but the bulk content updates would probably be best left in the form we currently get them.

I certainly respect your opinion, but let me give you a valid example and see what you have to say about it.

We all know that true widescreen support is something the community has been asking for. Dt has already released a video and told us that widescreen support will be included in 4.12.

For the sake of this example, let's say this feature was 'completed' 3 months ago. Now, let's also say that 4.12 won't be released until 3 months from today. That means a really cool new feature that so many people would love to see is just sitting around for 6 months instead of possibly being released via an Auto Updater.

I am just giving this scenario as an example...I don't want to sound like a spoiled child who wants everything 'yesterday'. We all appreciate Team Daidalos and we would never think of pressuring them to release any content before they were totally comfortable doing so.

However, new technology is always a part of the computer scene and an Auto Update program is at least something to consider. So far, it seems to be working quite well for the HSFX community.

Tuco22, I am simply responding to your post, and using the scenario from above, are you saying that you would prefer to wait the extra 6 months for something like widescreen support when it could possibly be released 6 months earlier as an auto update?

Aviar

Tuco22
10-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Perhaps i wasnt clear in what i said. Widescreen support certainly isnt a small fix but id clump that in with things id like to see an auto updater used for. What i meant were things like new aircraft, maps, etc (you know the content part of the update) in the format we have now.

JtD
10-22-2012, 05:05 AM
It's a good idea but I don't think it is technically as easy as it is for HSFX.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
10-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Not being in such stuff... was it possible to have more than one server to load from? As you know, we mainly rely on mirrors.

fly_zo
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
swell, another app which would cause more confusion and possible screwed game installations ( faulty download ; broken files which cannot be checked after update ...etc.)

please stick with classic patch style or give us option to choose .

regards
Z

TheGrunch
10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Not being in such stuff... was it possible to have more than one server to load from? As you know, we mainly rely on mirrors.
Hi Caspar,
Depending upon the program used as the basis for the updater (rsync is one of the best bandwidth-wise as it only transfers changed files), nearly any number of mirrors could be provided. Using rsync or similar is usually as simple as distributing the sync software and including a short batch file, e.g.

@echo off
if not exist il2fb.exe goto :noexeerror
echo Sync IL-2 1946 with mirror:
echo 1 - http://www.jgzbv.de/downloads/IL2-46/
echo 2 - http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/IL2-46/
set /p mirror= Please enter mirror number:
goto %mirror%
:1
echo cwrsync -avz http://www.jgzbv.de/downloads/IL2-46/ ./
goto :eof
:2
echo cwrsync -avz http://atomicgamer.com/files/IL2-46/ ./
:noexeerror
echo Please run from the main IL-2 1946 directory!

Try it out, just create a file with the above content, name it whatever.bat and run it from the command prompt in a directory that also contains a file called il2fb.exe. It won't do anything because the actual file operations are just printed in this example but it proves the concept. If there is no il2fb.exe it prints an error and exits. There are various ways to make this more sophisticated including providing the mirrorlist as a separate file that can also be updated.

However, if the mods have a more sophisticated updater built around this concept already that could possibly update itself and its own mirror list etc., I don't see why it wouldn't be easier to just use that providing the authors are happy for you to do so.

T}{OR
10-23-2012, 11:19 AM
ED has gone the same way with the latest v1.2.1 of the DCS World.

+1

TheGrunch
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Here's an example cobbled together which uses a mirrorlist.txt file:

@echo off
set index=1

if not exist il2fb.exe goto :noexeerror

echo Sync IL-2 1946 with mirror:

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
for /f "tokens=*" %%f in (mirrorlist.txt) do (
set url!index!=%%f
echo !index! - %%f
set /a index=!index!+1
)

setlocal disabledelayedexpansion

set /p selection= Please enter mirror number:
set url%selection% >nul 2<&1

if errorlevel 1 (
echo Invalid number selected!
pause
)

call :resolve %%url%selection%%%

echo Selected mirror: %mirror%
echo Replace this command with sync command for %mirror%

pause

:resolve
set mirror=%1

:noexeerror
echo Please run from the main IL-2 1946 directory!
pause

mirrorlist.txt is simply any text file with a single URL to each line. The bold line should be replaced with a reference to the sync software. There are several pieces of software which will do this kind of task easily from a command line in Windows, but Duplicati seems the most complete.

theOden
10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I like the idea.
:thumbsup:

wheelsup_cavu
11-28-2012, 05:16 AM
swell, another app which would cause more confusion and possible screwed game installations ( faulty download ; broken files which cannot be checked after update ...etc.)

please stick with classic patch style or give us option to choose .

regards
Z
I agree with fly-zo on this one. I am not at all interested in an auto updater but if one comes about I want the option to chose not to use it and still be able to get the updated content by other means.

Wheels