PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions on Steam version and NVidia 3D Vision

Gapper4
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,

Hungering for something more substantial than arcade flight sims, I've recently taken the plunge and bought the Steam version of IL-2 1946. Trouble is, it doesn't patch up to 4.11, only 4.09. I've tried patching manually but now the game doesn't start. Does anyone know if Steam intends to eventually patch or if there's a way to do it manually ?

Also, and perhaps more importantly for me, NVidia's 3D Vision doesn't want to start with the game. I've set it to DirectX and Full Screen but so far no joy. Is there a trick to enabling the 3d ?

Thanks in advance for any replies !

regards, george

Gapper4
09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Actually, I've managed to patch the Steam install by applying the 4.11.1 mega patch (which includes all the others). Now about 3D Vision, any hints ? :confused:

beazil
09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
There is and never will be any 3d support from Nvidia. They will only support 3d gaming under directx and not opengl.

Sadly, the directx implemented in il2 is only a wrapper and not true direct3d, it will not work.

Nvidia was supposed to release support for opengl gaming under 3d vision years ago. Instead they've kyboshed that support and pretend that they never said they would. I am the proud owner of an Nvidia surround display that is completely useless with my flight sims (all wwii oriented). ATI is no better. For some reason noone wants to support opengl under 3d. Those of us who used to do this with older nvidia technology and crt monitors know better. (they knew how to do this before, but for some reason seem to forget they ever knew how to do it in the first place.)

Gapper4
09-29-2012, 06:10 AM
There is and never will be any 3d support from Nvidia. They will only support 3d gaming under directx and not opengl.

Sadly, the directx implemented in il2 is only a wrapper and not true direct3d, it will not work.

Nvidia was supposed to release support for opengl gaming under 3d vision years ago. Instead they've kyboshed that support and pretend that they never said they would. I am the proud owner of an Nvidia surround display that is completely useless with my flight sims (all wwii oriented). ATI is no better. For some reason noone wants to support opengl under 3d. Those of us who used to do this with older nvidia technology and crt monitors know better. (they knew how to do this before, but for some reason seem to forget they ever knew how to do it in the first place.)

Ah, thank you for the answer. At least now I know. A shame though... Some of the arcade flight games I have look very good in 3D Vision. I can just imagine how immersive IL-2 would have been...

Kianoni
01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
It works!
Download GLDirect from here http://gldirect.sourceforge.net/
Just drop the opengl32.dll into your IL-2 installation folder and voila, it works!
BTW looks fantastic too :)