PDA

View Full Version : Auto save vs. Quick save!

Dima Kozmin
06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Auto save or Quick save?

We have a heated discussion of this problem on Russian forums. It is still not too late to introduce one of these systems of saving into the game. We want to know your opinion which one you consider to be the best?

BAXTER STOCKMAN
06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
i think that quicksave is a lot better than autosave because you can save evrywhere and it makes games a lot easier.:)

Mango
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Autosave creates a more immersive game. There's an additional sense of risk when you can't save and reload at any given point. Just look at IL-2 where you can't save at all! :grin:

I really enjoyed Autosave in Far Cry. It added much to the intensity to know that you had to reach a certain goal or checkpoint before the game was saved.

However, there was much backlash from the players and they ended up adding QuickSave to the game in their next patch.

With a game like Cryostasis, I think AutoSave would highten the fear factor. I would prefer not to see Quicksave, but maybe for the mass audience it should be part of the difficulty options.

Jon
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
I agree with Mango. The autosave is a tool that well used, help in the immersion in the game. Moreover, in the FPS of PC, the quitsave is the very usual , although perhaps Cryostasis is a survival horror , and in the Survival horror games the autosave is most usual . An alternative is autosave and quitsave limited, as in Hitman 2, Contracts and Bloodmoney.

The problem with the autosave is that repeat the same scene many times on many occasions can be more boring than in a game with maps open. I have read this preview in czech ;)

http://www.gamepark.cz/reportaz_z_herni_akce_praguenplay_2008_28962.htm

Well, the journalist not has mention about the "mental echoe" :), and maybe the journalist need more enemies .

Also , for Jason Ocampo, the quitsave will be a great help :mrgreen: .
Maybe the game need a exclusive level of difficulty for the journalists of USA ;), in god mode or a button "win now " , like in Alone in the Dark 5 :grin:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/879/879913p1.html

I personally am against you make concessions to Western public, make a game more simple or away from the idea of Action Form. You have the game, and only you can know which is better.

People who today buy games of the CIS in the West , know the style of the games of developers of CIS . If Action form and 1c want to reach the massive audience of the West - more exactly USA - with a different way of the style of its natural market - the CIS -, I think that this is a bit risky.

About this is very interesting this interview with Oleg Yavorsky/Олег Яворский

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=152393&page=2

I also think it is risky the marketing strategy - launch the game in the Western as " BioShock Russian " - . All previews of the USA in recent weeks say the same, the "Russian BioShock" . Like most journalist in USA have not gone the first enemy :mrgreen: , to say something , they use the trailer for say -! The Russian BioShock! -. Is a easy way for the marketing, but a bit dangerous .

I hope a game differently , diferent gameplay . And sorry for my english and for the off topic .

Jon
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, I read the forum Russian, and the problem is that with autosave the game is very difficult. But if you put quitsave, the game will be shorter;). Maybe can then increase the difficulty or limit the number of quitsaves, for not to make the game very short.

BAXTER STOCKMAN
06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree with Mango. The autosave is a tool that well used, help in the immersion in the game. Moreover, in the FPS of PC, the quitsave is the very usual , although perhaps Cryostasis is a survival horror , and in the Survival horror games the autosave is most usual . An alternative is autosave and quitsave limited, as in Hitman 2, Contracts and Bloodmoney.

The problem with the autosave is that repeat the same scene many times on many occasions can be more boring than in a game with maps open. I have read this preview in czech ;)

http://www.gamepark.cz/reportaz_z_herni_akce_praguenplay_2008_28962.htm

Well, the journalist not has mention about the "mental echoe" :), and maybe the journalist need more enemies .

Also , for Jason Ocampo, the quitsave will be a great help :mrgreen: .
Maybe the game need a exclusive level of difficulty for the journalists of USA ;), in god mode or a button "win now " , like in Alone in the Dark 5 :grin:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/879/879913p1.html

I personally am against you make concessions to Western public, make a game more simple or away from the idea of Action Form. You have the game, and only you can know which is better.

People who today buy games of the CIS in the West , know the style of the games of developers of CIS . If Action form and 1c want to reach the massive audience of the West - more exactly USA - with a different way of the style of its natural market - the CIS -, I think that this is a bit risky.

About this is very interesting this interview with Oleg Yavorsky/Олег Яворский

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=152393&page=2

I also think it is risky the marketing strategy - launch the game in the Western as " BioShock Russian " - . All previews of the USA in recent weeks say the same, the "Russian BioShock" . Like most journalist in USA have not gone the first enemy :mrgreen: , to say something , they use the trailer for say -! The Russian BioShock! -. Is a easy way for the marketing, but a bit dangerous .

I hope a game differently , diferent gameplay . And sorry for my english and for the off topic .

Why do you think that launcing the game as" Bioshock Russian is risky?? Crostasis and Bioshock are different games they have nothing to do with each other...

dozerking
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Absolutely a quicksave. The older the average gamer becomes, the more important it is to be able to jump in and out of games due to Family and Work and other things in life that are far more important. There's nothing worse then having to wait for a checkpoint in order to save, it's terrible and is something I hate about the majoirty of console games.

Please offer a quicksave with an autosave, that way, people that dislike the quicksave don't have to use it!

cheers