PDA

View Full Version : G Force effect on 6DOF with TIR

jameson
09-02-2012, 11:48 PM
This is just a thought. I was flying in QMB and using an FF stick and found the force required to move it increasing noticebly during some hard manoeuvers, so the thought occured how is it I can look around at the same speed as I could when just cruising along? It also occured that there is an option in TIR to raise or lower the curve, (smaller head movements for greater rotation of view the higher the curve is set). I'm no coder but if the game could tell TIR to shift the curve lower relative to experienced G force, i.e. more head movement required for less rotation of view, it could be more realistic? This could mean being only able to look sideways to about 90 degrees and being unable to look behind at all under high G if this could be implemented.
It would also reinforce the changes to the damage inflicted of the airframe by high G recently introduced by TD. It could lead to a more relaxed flying style, IMHO much more realistic than ingame furballs that we have at present. Thoughts?

ElAurens
09-03-2012, 02:09 AM
THis would necessitate reprogramming the curve of the hat switch "head movements" as well.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

IMHO, too much work when other things need improving.

RegRag1977
09-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't know how much work it would necessitate to do it but i think it is definitely a good idea. Yes hat switch would have to be improved too otherwise TiR user would surely feel frustrated haha.

View control is very important indeed: what could be easier to programm is to force the view away from the center (6DOF) in hard maneuvers, like away from the gunsight for instance, forbidding it's complete (or even totally) use during high G maneuvers. Firing without being able to use the always stable gunsight view, well that would look more like snapshots to me, and would also decrease the excessively high hitrate percentage we have today. It will also of course give new challenge and make the game more interesting.

Some snapshots are so easy in games and this is exacltly the reason why: too much "view" control and stability inside the cockpit.

In real WW2 combat it certainly wasn't easy to keep the head just behind the gunsight during the fight, and i'm not even talking about early war telescopic gunsight haha (Buffalo and Ki43).

The high hitrate we see in il2 1946 is less due "to our years of training"™ than to the oversimplified gestion of views.

(That said, checking one's six and keeping track during evasive maneuvers in IL2 and other sims is also simplified.)