PDA

View Full Version : Is Birds of Prey coming out for PC too?

AFJ_rsm
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
According to the gamevideos website, and the title of the page where the trailer is embedded, IL2 Sturmovik Birds Of Prey is being developed for the PC as well

The press release doesn't include the PC

And then there's this Gamespot hands-on with the game, where they say it's being developed for the PC as well: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/il2birdsofprey/news.html?sid=6192266&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;2

So what gives? Yay or nay for PC?

ElAurens
06-08-2008, 12:17 AM
In the other thread on this board, Luthier has explained that other than giving the source code for IL2 to the developers of "Birds of Prey" that Oleg and company have nothing else to do with it. It is in no part related to SOW. So I doubt it will be ported to PC. It is an arcade console game. Nothing more.

DuxCorvan
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
In the Gamespot article you link, there's no reference at all about a BoP PC release or development. I think you have misread something.

DKoor
06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
It is an arcade console game. Nothing more.

IL-2 will come with both a simulation mode and an arcade mode for the console crowd not accustomed to a level of realism that, for new players, can be frustrating.

What about that?

I got an impression that the game has original scalability, no?

AFJ_rsm
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Roger that. I know it ain't olegs or luthier's game, but it's still a 1C game, and this is a 1C forum, so I was kinda hoping someone else might jump in and shed some light.

Oh, and Dux, from the gamespot article:

"The German Luftwaffe is again in trouble as new developer Gaijin Entertainment plans to release IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, with handheld versions on the PSP and Nintendo DS."

That's from the 2nd Paragraph of the article, just above the first screenshot.

So I don't think I misread it ;)

But yeah I can understand everyone's doubts about it coming out for the PC. It's just that they mentioned it is all, so I was wondering...

DuxCorvan
06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, and Dux, from the gamespot article:

"The German Luftwaffe is again in trouble as new developer Gaijin Entertainment plans to release IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, with handheld versions on the PSP and Nintendo DS."

Ah, well, I see now. Anyway, I've done a search, and every other net game magazine (IGN, etc) announces the same ports but not the PC. I think they had a typo there. :confused:

BTW, a serious combat flight simulation in Xbox, well, it may be, but I don't know how they will manage so many control options with so simple control devices. CEM in Xbox? And Oleg just says it's a bit harder and realistic than the common arcade thing because of some parts of the Il-2 physics engine been inherited. Just that.

But, c'mon, a serious sim in Nintendo DS? That's a bit hard to believe, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Metatron
06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Of course it won't be a simulation on the DS, but I sure wish it was out when I was doing my military service! :)

Jigen
06-08-2008, 08:02 PM
BTW, a serious combat flight simulation in Xbox, well, it may be, but I don't know how they will manage so many control options with so simple control devices. CEM in Xbox? And Oleg just says it's a bit harder and realistic than the common arcade thing because of some parts of the Il-2 physics engine been inherited. Just that.

Why do you keep saying this stuff? Does it bother you that 360 is getting the next big sim in this series? All the articles I've read, they've said it will have the full simulation, but you can scale it, just like on PC.

DuxCorvan
06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Why do you keep saying this stuff? Does it bother you that 360 is getting the next big sim in this series? All the articles I've read, they've said it will have the full simulation, but you can scale it, just like on PC.

I'm not saying any stuff, and I'm glad that Xbox users can play air sims: any title who helps rise again the popularity of the genre is welcome.

I only doubt that a game that needs to bind 50+ keys just to get off the ground, and requires precise and well-calibrated peripherals to be enjoyable can be ported fully to a device that is controlled with two small sticks and a few buttons, without any simplification -or, if you prefer to call it this way, dumbing down- of at least a few features, like CEM, trim or AI comms, because I don't know how the h*ll are you going to control those without a keyboard or a panel.

And the same goes for flaps, brakes, lights, sight controls... even independent rudder. How are you going to control those, if they're not simplified, unless it comes bundled with a full Messenger Kit keyboard?

So I guess it will have Il-2 FMs, gunnery, DMs, etc., but it CANNOT have some complex management features that are impossible to control without several expensive Xbox peripherals, ok? So they must be 'automated', this is, disabled, this is, no full switch.

Unless you are able to play the PC Il-2 just with this:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/651/651988/tgs-2005-our-love-affair-with-the-xbox-360-controller-20050918005748647-000.jpg

96th_Nightshifter
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Buying all those peripherals (Joystick/throttle quadrant, headset, keyboard and mouse) that WILL work on the Xbox and PS3 will still work out cheaper than buying the latest and greatest "pimped out" PC and there will be no compatability issues etc. to deal with like we have with PC's so I can see some advantages already e.g. you know for certain that when you buy the console version that you WILL be able to play it with maxed out settings just like everyone else...........which is nice :)

It can only be a good thing for the genre. I may even buy it for the PS3 and will still buy "Storm of War" for the PC while I'm at it.

Feuerfalke
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm not saying any stuff, and I'm glad that Xbox users can play air sims: any title who helps rise again the popularity of the genre is welcome.

I only doubt that a game that needs to bind 50+ keys just to get off the ground, and requires precise and well-calibrated peripherals to be enjoyable can be ported fully to a device that is controlled with two small sticks and a few buttons, without any simplification -or, if you prefer to call it this way, dumbing down- of at least a few features, like CEM, trim or AI comms, because I don't know how the h*ll are you going to control those without a keyboard or a panel.

And the same goes for flaps, brakes, lights, sight controls... even independent rudder. How are you going to control those, if they're not simplified, unless it comes bundled with a full Messenger Kit keyboard?

So I guess it will have Il-2 FMs, gunnery, DMs, etc., but it CANNOT have some complex management features that are impossible to control without several expensive Xbox peripherals, ok? So they must be 'automated', this is, disabled, this is, no full switch.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/651/651988/tgs-2005-our-love-affair-with-the-xbox-360-controller-20050918005748647-000.jpg

Why would you, if you could also play with this?
http://www.elhabib.at/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ace-combat-6-flight-joystick.jpg

or this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HMNJFJ1HL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

You can also connect one of those:
http://www.gamecabinetsinc.com/images/stinger2.jpg

http://www.gearsofwarrealm.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/XFPS%20360+keyboard+mouse.jpg

This works with both, PC & PS3:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/flightstickx_prod1.png

~BeoWolf~
06-08-2008, 09:20 PM

What Faulker said............... my grandson uses the Saitek on his PS3...........................

DuxCorvan
06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok, ok, guys. Why speculating? The thing will be out in a year or so, and then we'll see.

Still, I doubt it will be released with a label on the cover saying: "This game requires the user adding his own USB keyboard to be playable."

zapatista
06-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Still, I doubt it will be released with a label on the cover saying: "This game requires the user adding his own USB keyboard to be playable."

which is why the preview article refers to it as being scalable ;) use it in simple mode with the standard console controllers, and add other hardware and a keyboard to make it more realistic.

the OP's question still remains unanswered, several of the preview articles clearly refers to BoP being released for the pc.

even if some people from 1C stated this game is based on the il2 engine, the terrain looks like BoB, the trees look like BoB, the plane set is BoB era, and you can even see the cliffs of dover in the movie clip.

right now with the lack of information for BoB on the pc, that crowd better hope that BoP is also released for the pc. because in the absence of any concrete information to confirm BoB is still on track, any skeptical il2 pc fan should realize that once this console money cow starts producing milk and honey this might well be the closest to BoB we ever get.

Nike-it
06-09-2008, 06:30 AM
BoP is going to be released only on consoles, PC is not planed.

Feuerfalke
06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Roger that, Nike-it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

mondo
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM

You can get one of these with an Ace Combat 6 bundle. Recognise it from anywhere? ;)

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ace-edge-stick-for-ace-combat-6-on-xbox-360-big.jpg

*edit* Oops, should have read the whole thread.

AFJ_rsm
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
thanks Nike-it

labrat4jafmc
11-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Having been a major fan of the il2 series (probably close to 1,000 hours) and am still playing it almost daily I can safely say that if you make it they will come. The preview videos and the descriptions are everything that I could hope for as long as it still has the detailed simulation that we have all come to know and love. There is no current equal to these simulations. To have it only available as an arcade style game on the game stations would be a shame. I know that pc's are not the cookie cutter boxes the gaming boxes are but wow, can you imagine the possibilites! You make the programs on computers why not migrate it to the pc? I would gladly pony up some serious cash for it. My birthday is in June, guess what I want!

AdMan
11-29-2008, 05:27 AM
"you can also connect one of those"

bahahah, you console gamers make me laugh

TofuStoreDrift
04-09-2009, 05:36 AM
"you can also connect one of those"

bahahah, you console gamers make me laugh

Sorry to bring back an old thread and then go way off topic but, what in the world is that? It looks like a reject from a '80's arcade machine. Ms. Pacman anyone?

Alter Hase
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
WTF no show for PC, and thats your thx to the people which bought your simulations in the first place and want to continue . This is a sad day for gaming:(

Why may i ask, just please dont give me the the crap about pirates :evil:

guiltyspark
05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
WTF no show for PC, and thats your thx to the people which bought your simulations in the first place and want to continue . This is a sad day for gaming:(

they will make more money with a console version then they will with a pc version

xNikex
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM

This is the first REAL simulator to come to consoles.

I've always read in many forums for console players wanting more realism and capabilities in the games. So I don't think they're that much different from us.

PC will get SOW:BOB

Console players will now get to share IL2............and ArmA;)

Alter Hase
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
This is the first REAL simulator to come to consoles.

I've always read in many forums for console players wanting more realism and capabilities in the games. So I don't think they're that much different from us.

PC will get SOW:BOB

Console players will now get to share IL2............and ArmA;)

God i hope you are right, because when i hear people playing consoles saying that HALO is the best fps i get a heart attack.

xNikex
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
God i hope you are right, because when i hear people playing consoles saying that HALO is the best fps i get a heart attack.

I know LoL.

The game does have the same flight model and AI(maybe tweaked slightly) and a very good damage model so I expect great results.

Alter Hase
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
they will make more money with a console version then they will with a pc version

Somehow i doubt, people hooked on consoles generally are not so keen to spend a lot of time on realistic and hard simulations.
Not even pc guys are "simualtion junkies" altough they focus more on complicated steep curve learning games, and are older.

Even with this being true its still bs. How the hell did they manage with a pc exclusive without "sinking" ?
Did pc IL2 players commited mass suicide so there is no one left to buy it for pc (Jesus i cant belive im saying this for a pc flight simulator, wer screwed)?

I am going to be a bastard now and say its simple greed combined with laziness.

Raw Kryptonite
05-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Some of us old guys play both, you don't have to choose one or the other. ;)
Over G Fighters is a console sim, BTW, IL2 won't be the first. It may not be LOMAC, but it's still a sim. Don't let the hokey mission briefings fool you. Brilliant game.

Desode
05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah there are a lot of us old guys that play both. I have just got to the point where I'm tired after working a 40+ hr week and when I get a pc game for $50 (on Friday night) and have to spend 3 days getting it to run 100% right and then have to download 3 patches ! update this driver and that driver ! Just to to play a game I paid $50 for ! Geezz ! Its a crap shoot on pc anymore.

Don't get me wrong I still play pc games but I also have a 360 and a ps3. Its getting to the point where in a couple of years there isn't going to be a console game or a pc game its just going to be a multiplatform Game. Consoles are turning into Pc's , Heck they pretty much are now.

I say this in all honesty guys , enjoy calling games a "Pc Port" or a "Console Port" because we are in the last days of you being able to say that.

I think we are going to start seeing a lot more games coming to consoles that will use Mouse & Keyboard and have the Hard core values/options that pc games still hold the upper hand with right now. Its only a matter of time.

There is no stopping it(follow the money) ,so the Best thing you can do for the future of gaming is make your voices heard on what you want and expect in a Game. We need Gamers that are going to go to the Dev web sites( forums), and say " Hey I'm a gamer and I want this option and that option in every game PERIOD ! whether its on console or pc, it should be the same Exact game".

Sadly that is not what I see happening. I see tons of Pc gamers bashing every game that comes to console. I hear them say "OH,Well thats a console game it must be a bunch of arcade Crap !" or " Why is it only being made for console !" . Instead of statments like that , why not encourage the Game Developers to earn your money ? Tell them, Give us a Pc game on console and well give you our support.

Why would anyone who is a pc gamer not play a game on a console if it had M&K support and every option you currently have on PC ?
Plus it always works, with no hassle. Are there really people out there, that have the Branding name "PC Gamer" ingraved into their foreheads so deep that you wouldn't play your favorite game on a console ? Even if it had all the options you want and ran perfect everytime ? Plus you never had to download a patch or a update ?

I have been a Gamer my whole life, Since I was 6yrs old and PONG came out.
Then the Arcades, then C64 and then Nintendo and then PC's , then consoles !
People need to quit Branding themselves as a Pc gamer or a console gamer.

Please don't take this as a attack on Pc gamers because Console gamers are just as bad with somethings too. See most of them have no clue what kind of Gaming options they deserve for their money so they sometimes accept CRAP !

I know I'm Preaching so I'll shut up, Thanks for your time and consideration , Desode

trk29
05-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Desode, which console are you buying it for?

Raw Kryptonite
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I hear ya Desode.
I love flight games, but I almost dread when it comes in. I know that then I have to figure out the controls, decide what is priority, figure out a scheme, program the X-52, troubleshoot that...never really playing the game, due to backing out to fix something...I often get sick of it by the time it's done and find myself playing OGF again for a week or two. LOL

Keyboard/mouse...I'm not sure if I want that to happen on a console. Especially shooters. I refuse to play a shooter on the pc for the most part due to bots, silly mouse speed movement not in the spirit of the game etc. Not bashing, that's just personal preference. Pulling a trigger on a controller with vibration brings me into the game, and the speed of moving the weapon is slower, giving it "weight".

Still, I enjoy the PC for a lot of games I'm not likely to see on console, and Steam is just SO convenient. My friends are on the 360, and that along with Live, built in comms...yeah, they're just gaming PC's now, very dedicated and built to order. It's amazing what developers can get out of these machines. Instead of shooting the moon for graphics, forcing it out of the game with raw horsepower of an expensive graphics card, they use their intelligence to get the most out of a machine with fixed stats. They do better with a lower spec machines than some higher spec pc games with more horsepower, due to innovation. That's a good thing.

In the end, I'm on the PC once a week, but the 360 almost daily.
I just wish the games were PC priced. LOL

Desode
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Desode, which console are you buying it for?

I currently have it preordered for the 360, since I have a Ace Edge flightstick.

I may get it for the ps3 also, we'll just have to see when it comes out.
Desode

Alter Hase
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Keyboard/mouse...I'm not sure if I want that to happen on a console. Especially shooters. I refuse to play a shooter on the pc for the most part due to bots, silly mouse speed movement not in the spirit of the game etc. Not bashing, that's just personal preference. Pulling a trigger on a controller with vibration brings me into the game, and the speed of moving the weapon is slower, giving it "weight".

:confused: "silly mouse speed movement" lol speed means nothing, you missed it totally ...accuracy is why i prefer mouse speed as is not even secondary.
It gives better controll period.
Anyone who says "controller is better" is saying that a fps Doom 1 or 2 played with keyboard keys is better than mouse for looking around.

Controller allways filled me with disgust, tried it, and i hate, thumbs hurt after an hour.
And every game which was transfered from pc was dumbed down and slowed down.
I tried cod4 on a console and couldnt stop asking myself why is controller so praised, its more of a handicap. Plus, most of the fps games have autoaim turned on in game, wonder why, because accuracy is so good ....fail.

Console games for now are limited with both number of keys/key combinations, and also game types because of the controller.
I really dont know how could i play for example Silent Hunter 4 and i dont want to know as long as the controller is the primary mean of console game controll. Or a rts.

I just wish the games were PC priced. LOL

Lol how much is the diffirence i heard the prices are pure rippofs?
Strange if you coinsider that "console games sale better than pc games" should they be cheaper, oh yeah i forgot, greeed. So much about pirates as a reason for high game prices.

Also someone said that with the pc "problems and patches never stop".
Pure myth dont know what are you doing with your pc because i dont remmber when was the last time i had problems with the pc itself antivirus and firewall i all you need and once in 4 months you update the graphics card driver other thing dont touch if you dont understand let it on default.

The games are getting crappier (rushed untested...... publisher greed nothing more) for example:

Cod4 - in more than a year of playing how many crashes......once
Fallout 3 - a console game "turned fast to pc version to get fallout fans milked" crash every 15 minutes

Raw Kryptonite
05-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I was simply stating preference for how I prefer to game (more simulation than game/points based). I use both types of hardware so I get to pick and choose what I play and in what format. Enjoy your games how you want, I'm not concerned with it.
I'm not getting drawn any further into this ridiculous type of discussion, it's a waste of time and not why I'm here.

Alter Hase
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I was simply stating preference for how I prefer to game (more simulation than game/points based). I use both types of hardware so I get to pick and choose what I play and in what format. Enjoy your games how you want, I'm not concerned with it.
I'm not getting drawn any further into this ridiculous type of discussion, it's a waste of time and not why I'm here.

But you didnt have any problem strongly suggesting that you dont want a keyboard/mouse ta have any bigger use on a console, despite it would open a whole new world to it.

Jimatay
05-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I have a keyboard for my ps3, so i'll welcome having to use it for extra simulation

Alter Hase
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a keyboard for my ps3, so i'll welcome having to use it for extra simulation

Thats the spirit, democracy of controls for everyone:cool:

Tomo
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Leave the mouse controls to PC please.

Nothing worse than playing a console FPS where someone has rigged up a mouse. It makes it so easy for them to dominate.

A level playing field is best.

trk29
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I hear ya. It makes sniping not even a challenge. No holding your breath to get a better shot just hold your hand and mouse still. I used to like playing the older call of duty's on pc but since I have a ps3 I use my computer for everything but gaming. Except flight gear for mac.:cool: