PDA

View Full Version : F6F-3 & F6F-5 fuel gage no longer works in 4.11 and 4.11.1

-)-MAILMAN-
09-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I noticed the other night flying a QMB mission in the stock game 4.11.1m that the fuel gage in both the F6F-3 & the F6F-5 is not working and actually has a C° symbol in the middle of the gage.

I also have the stock game installed for 4.11m and the same problem exists in this version.

I also have the stock game installed for 4.10m and the fuel gages for the F6F-3 and F6F-5 work correctly.

Aviar
09-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Confirmed.

Aviar

stovak
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Presumably it's part of the changes introduced with the new overheating models. The gauge shows cylinder head temperature, which needs to be kept below 240°.

The small gauge in the bottom right of that panel now shows fuel quantity. It's labelled 'fuel' in both of Aviar's shots, but did it previously show fuel pressure rather than quantity?

It looks like a more accurate layout now, according to this -

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=959

-)-MAILMAN-
09-01-2012, 11:41 PM
NO it used to actually indicate the fuel level. If you changed the fuel percentage prior to launching a mission then this was reflected in the gage when you launched the mission.

I have the same pilot manual and I agree with you that gauge that has been used as the fuel quantity gauge from Pacific Fighters through 4.10m was not correct and should have been the Cylinder Head Temperature gauge. Even the aircraft guide has them labeled wrong even with the latest patch that corrected the mistake. The aircraft guide legends for the F6F-3 & F6F-5 should be corrected in 4.12m to correctly point to the correct gauge. As it is right now the legend in the guide has the Cylinder Head Temperature gauge being called the fuel level gauge and the fuel capacity gauge is being labeled the Coolant Temperature.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake that got corrected. I don't recall any reference that this mistake had been corrected with 4.11 or 4.11M.

Now to check and see if both of the above gauges actually work in the game.

-)-MAILMAN-
09-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Here is a photograph from the book Hellcats at War. This photo of the control panel (sourced as being from the Grumman History Center) is supposed to be from one of the first two hundere F6F's assembled and even lists the bureau number of the aircraft.

http://books.google.com/books?id=g8uUMPNQKkEC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=f6f-3+control+panel&source=bl&ots=tcr5Mq_HSM&sig=StB-S1elbFGckO9FfXzHa1oEbdM&hl=en#v=onepage&q=f6f-3%20control%20panel&f=false

In this photograph gauge numbered 14 from the pilot manual photo you posted is found in the location of gauge numbered 32 from the pilot manual photo you posted.

So which photgraph is correct? Both photographs agree on the location, but they differ on the type of gauge used, Fuel only or multiple use.

JtD
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Fuel level had been displayed on the cylinder head temperature gauge, now the cylinder head temperature gauge shows cylinder head temperature. It's one of the many bugfixes around missing or inaccurate temperature displays.
Since the fuel level gauge was omitted when modelling the F6F cockpit for whichever reason, yet is an important quantity, it was moved to the fuel pressure part of the combo instrument that historically did not exist on the F6F. It's scaled from 25 to 0, 25 being 250 US gallons, 100% fuel.
The instruments on the right hand panel as shown in Hellcat at War are fuel pressure gauge (top left), fuel contents gauge (middle left), oil temperature gauge (bottom left), oil pressure gauge (top right), cylinder head temperature gauge (bottom right).
The majority of F6F's had the installation as shown in the pilot manual, same gauges, different locations.
In game we have cylinder head temperature, oil temperature and oil pressure gauges as historically present, plus two fantasy "oxygen pressure" and "oil/fuel combo" gauges, which were of no use.

-)-MAILMAN-
09-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I understand that TD is striving for accuracy in their flight model and they are attempting to have the gauges accurately indicate the parameters of this plane’s power plant.

The bottom right gauge should only read fuel capacity in gallons. Three scales and three needles indicating the fuel level of the left tank, right tank and reserve tank. The pilot hand book illustrates this.

This particular gauge did not indicate any type of pressure or temperature.

The best photo of this gauge that I have found is at Zeno’s Warbirds training film (free) of the F6F Hellcat as part of the takeoff checklist. I first saw this at the Zeno site, but I just watched it again on my HD TV courtesy of the film available on You Tube.

Hope this helps.

rollnloop
09-04-2012, 02:56 AM
here's one photo

http://aviation-antiques.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000337