PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign Video

4H_Ccrashh
05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
This is a movie from the soon to be released " Galloping Ghost" campaign. It will contain part one (" The BIG E ") and part two combined, covering from December 1941 until May 1945 when Enterprise was finally knocked out of the war.

On Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3av9YT95cQ

Click on Menu and set the quality to high. If you go to Youtube.com to watch it be sure to click the option to "watch in high quality" under the bottom right of the viewing screen.

Let it load into the buffer so you don't get interruptions.

or

You can download and view the larger screen, MUCH better resolution version at :

http://www.warbirdsofprey.org/wopDownloads/missionmovies/American%20Attack.wmv

The completed campaign should be done in 2 weeks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/Ccrashh-PR-/1CCcrashhsignature2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/Ccrashh-PR-/1cWopStaff.jpg

DKoor
05-27-2008, 12:15 AM
:cool:

Red Dragon-DK
05-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Thx that was an awsome movie. Great camara shoot from the deck. More of those m8 ;-)

fireflyerz
05-27-2008, 06:59 AM
:arrow:Yeah baby... nice realistic feel, very well done mate :grin:

Snuff_Pidgeon
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Nice work

Oktoberfest
05-27-2008, 07:14 AM
It's really sad the ships have no evading manoeuvres to try like in the real history. A ship would never wait to get hit like this all the time. And the Japanese had no fighters ?

Awesome shots thought !

Flying_Nutcase
05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Ccrashh,

That was bloody amazing mate. It really sets the scene for your campaign.

EAF602_Joe90
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Nice feel with the 'handheld' on the deck (using TIR?).

The cameraman deserves a medal for calmly standing there filming mayhem all around then going under! ;)

4H_Ccrashh
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
It's really sad the ships have no evading manoeuvres to try like in the real history. A ship would never wait to get hit like this all the time. And the Japanese had no fighters ?

Awesome shots thought !

Actually I know it's hard to get prospective when the point of view is from the deck of the ship, but just a few notes here. Look at the compass on the bottom left of the screen when the film starts. It reads 215. The only way to read the compass is to download the better resolution view.

The carrier does manuever , quite violently. There's only a few ways to catch this happening. You have to use distant reference points (clouds , other ships, ect ect) and notice their movement in relation to your ship. The torpedo attack is initially coming in from the port beam (left side) of the carrier. The other carrier is almost dead ahead, only 10 to 15 degress off the port bow. Steaming in the same direction as the cameraman's ship.

As the destroyer is passing by, (1:20 into the film) the entire task force has already started a turn to the right to present their sterns to the torpedo attack.

When the Hellcats dive in for the flak supression run on the destroyer watch the compass. You can see the compass showing the turn. As the turn progresses it becomes much faster. But so much is going on it's hard to notice. As the Hellcats pull up you catch a brief look towards the other carrier. In the previous view you could see the bow of your own ship. Now its' not there. That's because the carrier has turned and the bow is out of frame to the right. At 1:52 (as the first TBF goes past), take a close look at the ships in the distance in relation to the movement of your ship. You can see the bow still swinging right. If you look at the compass at 1:52 it now reads 337, that's a turn to the right of 122 degress. The torpedoes that were coming in from the port beam are now coming in from astern. That's about the best you can do for torpedo defense. Speed up and make your ship a smaller target.

At 1:58 the camera pans back towards the stern of the carrier. (as the first torpedo hits.) The ship is just finishing the manuever. Of the 4 fish in the first wave, only two hit. If you watch the ships and clouds in the distance behind you, you can use them as a point of reference to see the ship is still turning away to the right because of the second incoming wave of TBM's.

At 2:13 you can once again see the other carrier. She is no longer in front of you. Now she is at your rear port quarter. She (and the rest of the task force) have also turned. There is a second wave of torpedo bombers closing in from the direction of the destroyer following the other carrier. Because of the evasive turn the attackers are now coming in from the stern quarter. Not the port beam. You can see the carrier is now in a slower turn (after two torpedo hits) still to starboard to parallel the new attack. Again, that's all you can do. To violently turn left or right at this point would make the ship a larger target. At the time the second wave of torpedoes is in the water the compass reads 020. Remember the compass initially read 215 at the beginning. By the time of the second attack it reads 020. The ship (and task force) has turned a total of 165 degress to starboard in a very short time. A total of 8 torpedoes were dropped. Only 3 hit. 2 in the stern and 1 in the port side just aft of amidships.

At this point I start slowing the ship down. 3 hits would knock any ship dead in the water. That's why the ship slows down and doesn't manuever against the dive bombers.

Again, it's not so obvious with the camera panning all over the place trying to catch the action and there are so many things to get your attention that you might miss some of the more subtle details of the film.

It took me the better part of 2 days to get the timing of the turn in relation to the torpedo attacks to synchronize correctly.

About the fighters: The film intro shows the date of the footage as 19-20 June 1944. This is the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Also known as the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot." At this point in the battle there were not many Japanese planes left. When the strike group from task Force 58 arrived over the enemy fleet, only 6 fighters tried to engage with the bombers. These attacks were described as "timid" at best. The rest stayed away. By the end of the attack, Hellcats had shot down 7 zeros. The Japanese CAP was a non factor. So much so that the Hellcats dove in ahead of the bombers to provide flak suppression.

So I portrayed that in the movie.

"Galloping Ghost" will be as historically accurate as I can get within the constraints of the game. Those of you who have played part one ( "The BIG E" ) have seen that every ship that comes under attack manuevers to evade bombs and torpedoes. I wouldn't leave that out and let folks down.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/Ccrashh-PR-/1CCcrashhsignature2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/Ccrashh-PR-/1cWopStaff.jpg