PDA

View Full Version : Dark Blue World

virre89
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Zup,

Anyone seen this movie :)? , and is it any good i love ww2 movies & documentarys and this flight movie seems nice even tho its chechz movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mk3NMIg3g

Kira
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM
I liked it a lot, would recommend it.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure some of the scenes in that vid weren't in the movie. Weird.

crazyivan1970
05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Good movie, i even bought it

Rama
05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Same

Bought it and loved it.

Bearcat
05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
One of the better WWII aviation movies.. I stumbled across it at the video store one day.. I say the plane on the cover and said.. hmm whats this... it was a very good film.. and the love story was handled very well..

Tvrdi
05-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Zup,

Anyone seen this movie :)? , and is it any good i love ww2 movies & documentarys and this flight movie seems nice even tho its chechz movie.

Ive seen it...cool movie...of course there is a love triangle heh but the movie is great...btw it is good that the movie is chechz because, overall, european war movies are better (more historic, less pathetic, u name it) than most of the hollywood stuff (ok we all know a list of good hollywood war movies which are exceptions)...also japanese war movies are also pretty pathetic
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Rukajärven tie (Ambush) - Finland
Talvisota (Winter War) - Finlad
Tmavomodry Svet (Dark Blue world) - Czech Republic
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
Saving private Ryan (first part of the movie which is moralising free)
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

nearmiss
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I liked the flying scenes the story sucks.

Vigilant
05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Dark Blue World was excellent, it was so good to see the air war from the their perspective after Germany annexed Czechoslovakia - CGI sequence extras on the DVD were interesting too :)

Avimimus
05-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Ive seen it...cool movie...of course there is a love triangle heh but the movie is great...btw it is good that the movie is chechz because, overall, european war movies are better (more historic, less pathetic, u name it) than most of the hollywood stuff (ok we all know a list of good hollywood war movies which are exceptions)...also japanese war movies are also pretty pathetic
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

That is a nice list. We (the forum) should put together a list of recommended international war films.

I would also recommend:
Ballad O Soldat (ballad of a soldier) (Russia) <- Only one combat scene but still an excellent film
The Grave of the Fireflies (Japan) <- I haven't seen but is highly recommended

"Enemy at the Gates" had weird accents but this was made up for by the river crossing scenes etc. It would have been nice if it had more "waiting" though.
Also, as Apocalypse now is on your list I would suggest "Dawn Patrol" as well (for its honesty about attrition and its use of real aircraft).

There were a few films about partisans but I can't remember anything about them.

|ZUTI|
05-15-2008, 05:59 AM

+1

Really hated that stupid love story. Just like hollywood crap. Always a love story.

150GCT_Veltro
05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Nice movie but Battle of Britain is much better....the best one.

Codex
05-15-2008, 08:19 AM
It's interesting that the director said they used a lot of footage from "The Battle of Britain" from 1969

fabianfred
05-15-2008, 08:51 AM
The series "A Piece of Cake" was alright too... available on DVD from Amazon

Xiola
05-15-2008, 11:44 AM
"Enemy at the Gates" had weird accents but this was made up for by the river crossing scenes etc. It would have been nice if it had more "waiting" though.

Lmfao, those 'wierd accents' are English (when its properly spoken!) :grin::-P

Dont forget BOB guys, great film from 1969.

GADGET
05-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Zup,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mk3NMIg3g

Where are you from buddy?

EVEN THO ITS A CHECHZ MOVIE ?????

The world does not start/end in Iowa o Southhampton, or wherever the dark hole you come from. Who you think you are?

This is the best aerial WW2 movie EVER !!!!!

And I am not Chechz, but if I would, I would be really proud of Jan Sverak, this movie, and the strory it is based on.

123-Wulf-123
05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Where are you from buddy?

EVEN THO ITS A CHECHZ MOVIE ?????

The world does not start/end in Iowa o Southhampton, or wherever the dark hole you come from. Who you think you are?

+1:evil:

Vigilant
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
The series "A Piece of Cake" was alright too... available on DVD from Amazon
I have this on DVD too, it's an excellent mini-series.

But did you notice they only had 5 Spits (not Hurri's as Derek Robinson's book portrayed - especially noticeable in BoF), and of those 5 Spits, they were 3x MkII's and 2x MkV's?

Overall a great story, loosely based on the real events in BoF and BoB...

Feuerfalke
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Great movie. The love-affair is a bit misplaced IMHO, but of course for a modern movie it's ok. Makes it a good movie to watch with your girlfriend...

The best aviation movie? No. Not even the best war movie, IMHO. This is a list of my prefered movies, each one of them great to watch and mostly without that hollywood-crap (with a certain exception of Das Boot maybe, which is as much based on a true story as TopGun and Firefox :rolleyes:.....):

Tora!Tora!Tora!
Aces High!
Das Boot
A Bridge too Far
The longest Day
Memphis Belle

Insuber
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Dark Blue World is a nice movie, and I enjoyed it. There are some great aerial scenes including cut-outs from the '69 Battle of Britain and RC models, improved by computer generated graphics; I personally find that the love story cripples a little the aviation plot, and viceversa. I didn't have that disturbing feeling of continuous cross-interference with other great movies such as Midway or the Longest Day.

On the technical side, the Messerschmitt used for the film (and cloned with CGI afaik) is a Bouchon, while in the BoB scenes some of the Spits appear as later series than the ones used in BoB, if I'm right.

A curiosity: one of the 10 movie's pilots was the late Ray Hanna, the first leader of the UK display team "the Red Arrows", who was involved in many WWII and WWI movies such as Flyboys, Empire of the Sun, Memphis Belle - as 109 pilot, the mini-serie Piece of Cake etc., and whose son Mark died in the crash of a Buchon in Spain. They founded and owned the Old Flying Machine Company.

Regards,
Insuber

Regards,
Insuber

JVM
05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Hello!

I find always funny that as usual nobody really remarked the movie was primarily about Czech pilots in the RAF and what happened to them once the war was over...the love triangle was a lot better dealt with than in PH for instance, and the friendship story I considered to be one of the most beautiful ever filmed...
Considering the means engaged which were not inconsiderable by the way especially for a Czech movie compared to a Hollywood one, the aerial sequences were quite excellent!

A very enjoyable movie to watch witch leaves you with a lasting impression (at least for people watching the movie...not just waiting for the first airplane appearance and going back to sleep after the last one ;-) )

JVM

Roy
05-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Agreed!

Xiola
05-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Great Movie, worth 100 Flyboys, it actually has a story not taken from a teenage comic book :D

BigC208
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I wanted to see this movie in the theater when it was released but it never showed in my area. Bought it on DVD and realy enjoyed it. The story is good and the flying scenes are exellent. Very ballanced and good continuity. Worth
owning in my opinion. Good date film to get your other half interested in aviation.

DKoor
05-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Great Movie, worth 100 Flyboys, it actually has a story not taken from a teenage comic book :D .+1

WTE_Galway
08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Just rewatched this movie. Probably the best WWII aviation movie of recent years.

It has a few minor anachronism like a reference to Eva Braun that is 3 years too early and an occasional mix of different Spitfire marks lined up beside the runway together supposedly in the same squadron but overall its very good. The restored bu121 biplane trainers early in the film are particularly well done. The film does use footage cut from the BoB film so expect a few buchon's.

tagTaken2
08-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Hello!

I find always funny that as usual nobody really remarked the movie was primarily about Czech pilots in the RAF and what happened to them once the war was over...the love triangle was a lot better dealt with than in PH for instance, and the friendship story I considered to be one of the most beautiful ever filmed...
Considering the means engaged which were not inconsiderable by the way especially for a Czech movie compared to a Hollywood one, the aerial sequences were quite excellent!

A very enjoyable movie to watch witch leaves you with a lasting impression (at least for people watching the movie...not just waiting for the first airplane appearance and going back to sleep after the last one ;-) )

JVM

Well said.

This is one of the few war movies I've persuaded my gf to sit through, and she was in tears by the end.
It's an outstanding example of how Europe just does cinema better than Hollywood, and if people can't appreciate DBW, they should stick to picking over Dogfights.

WTE_Galway
08-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Well said.

This is one of the few war movies I've persuaded my gf to sit through, and she was in tears by the end.
It's an outstanding example of how Europe just does cinema better than Hollywood, and if people can't appreciate DBW, they should stick to picking over Dogfights.

Well I think people on a flight sim forum will tend to talk mainly about the flying because that is what will encourage the other readers of a flight forum to see the movie. On a different forum you might talk about the politics of teh Eastern Bloc or the romance or the interesting portrayal of British society in the war years.

By the way not all Czech pilots accepted the hand over to Germany as peacefully as in the movie Dark Blue World. At least one incident involving an attack on invading ground troops (the pilot then fleeing to Poland) was reported.

Personally .... rewatching the movie recently encouraged me to finish an early war Czech/Slovak skin pack based on the Gladiator/J8A that I started some time back.

Unfortunately the actual aircraft used (Avia B534, BK534 biplanes and the BU121 trainers from the movie) are not available in-game so the gladiator has been substituted.

Mission 4 Today:
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&file=details&id=4306

Flying Legends:
http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/download.php?id=7329

These skins were intended for missions covering the period from the Munich crisis through to 1940 on the new Slovakia map. I am writing a campaign.

This is B534-149 "V4", No. 2 Air Regiment, 51st Fighter Flight, Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, May 1937 - March 1939.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/2ndAirRegiment.jpg

B534-165 "D5" No. 4 Air Regiment,

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/4thAirRegiment2.jpg

The next photo is the same plane from the other side .... but in the background is B534-158 Aircraft of No. 3 Air Regiment. (This regiment used geometric shapes to identify its aircraft rather than numbers and letters)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/4thAirRegiment.jpg

... and finally B534-158 of No. 3 Air Regiment repainted with Slovak Republic insignia after dissolution. Note the Balkencruz as secondary insignia. The old geometric flight ID of No. 3 Air Regiment can still be seen under the new paint.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/slovakia.jpg

flyingbullseye
08-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Seen some clips on youtube. Are there subtitles in this movie? If so might have to pick this up.

Flyingbullseye

WTE_Galway
08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Seen some clips on youtube. Are there subtitles in this movie? If so might have to pick this up.

Flyingbullseye

The version I have is in Czech (with english subtitles) for the Czech scenes but is mainly in English for the majority of the movie set in England.

flyingbullseye
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
The version I have is in Czech (with english subtitles) for the Czech scenes but is mainly in English for the majority of the movie set in England.

Cool, amazon.com here I come. Thanks.

Flyingbullseye

proton45
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Here is a list I started (and finished with some help) of "air combat" movies over on the "Ubi forum"... this list pretty much includes everything... "the good, the bad, and the embarrassing"

Here is the compiled list:

1. Blue Max
2. Tora! Tora! Tora!
3. Pearl Harbor
4. The Dam Busters (1954)
5. Angels one five
6. Twelve O'Clock High
7. A Guy Named Joe
8. The Battle of Britain
9. Flyboys
11. Hells Angles (1930)
12. The Dawn Patrol (1930, 1938)
13. Mosquito Squadron
14. Memphis Belle
15. Midway (1976)
16. 633 Squadron
17. Empire of the Sun (1987)
18. Torpedonostsy (Torpedo Bombers) (a Russian movie...the name could be wrong)
19. Catch-22
20. Dark Blue World (2001)
21. Flying Leathernecks (1951)
22. Flying Tigers (1942)
23. Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku (2007) AKA: I Go To Die For You / For Those we Love
24. One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942)
25. Reach for the Sky (1956)
26. Talvisota (The Winter War) (1989)
27. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)
28. The Tuskegee Airmen (1995)
29. The Wings of Eagles (1957)
30. Aces High (1976)
31. Biggles: Adventures in Time (1986)
32. Von Richthofen and Brown (1971)
33. Der Rote Baron (2008)
34. Wings (1927)
35. Flat Top (1952)
36. Top Gun (1986)
37. The Great Waldo Pepper (1975)
38. God Is My Co-Pilot (1945)
39. Ace of Aces (1933)
40. Strategic Air Command (1955)
41. The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)
42. Zeppelin (1971)
43. V boy idut odni stariki (1973) AKA: Only Old Men Are Going to Battle
44. Ozora no samurai (1976) AKA: Samurai of the sky
45. Kato Hayabusa Sentotai (1944) AKA: Kato's Perigrine Falcon Squadron
46. Spitfire / The First of the Few

Some more...

47. Flying Fortress (1942)
48. Stukas (1941)
49. Tsubasa no Gaika (1942) AKA: (A Triumph of Wings)
50. A Yank in the R.A.F. (1941)
51. Captains of the Clouds (1942)
52. Desperate Journey (1942)
53. Aerial Gunner (1943)
54. Air Force (1943)
55. Bombardier (1943)
56. Jet Pilot (1957)

Some Kamikaze movies

57. Aa tokubetsu kougekitai (1960) AKA: Special Attack Corps
58. Taiheiyou no Tsubasa (1963) AKA: Wings of the Pacific
59. Shutsugeki (1964) AKA: Sortie
60. Saigo no Tokkoutai (1970) AKA: The Last Kamikaze

I added your films

61. The Hunters (1958)
62. The War Lover (1962)
63. Appointment in London (1952)

Russian films (From FPSOLKOR):

64. I Ty Uvidish Nebo (1978) AKA: And you will see the sky
65. Hroniki pikiruyushego bombardirovshika (1967) AKA: Chronicles of a dive bomber
66. Istrebiteli (1939) AKA: Fighters
67. Ljotchiki (1935) AKA: Pilots
68. Nebo Moskvy (1944) AKA: Moscow sky
69. Normandija Neman (1960) AKA: Normandie-Nieman
70. Povest o nastoyashchem cheloveke (1948) AKA: A Real Man Story
71. Sluchay v kvadrate 36-80 (1982) AKA: An Occasion in a Square 38-60
72. Tri protsenta riska (1985) AKA: Three Per cent of Risk

Here are some more modern Japanese "Kamikaze" movies...

73. Gekkou no Natsu (1993) AKA: Summer of the Moonlight Sonata
74. Ningen no Tsubasa (1995) AKA: Wings of a Man
75. Hotaru (2001) Firefly

More Russian films (From FPSOLKOR):

76. Vozdushniy izvozchik (1943) AKA: Sky taxi
77. Nebesnii tihohod (1945) AKA: Sky slow mover
78. Ohota na edinoroga (1989) AKA: A hunt for the Unicorn
79. Der Stern von Afrika (1957) AKA: The Star of Africa
80. Chistoe Nebo (1961) AKA: Clear Sky
81. Peregon (2006) AKA: Ferry flight
82. Dva kapitana (1955) AKA: Two captains
83. V nebe nochnye vedmy (1981) AKA: Night Witches in the Sky
84. Baltiyskoe nebo (1960) AKA: Baltic sky

If anyone wants to check out the thread (how it all went down) here it is...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2601013236/m/9311087676

proton45
08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

Just curious...How many Japanese war movies have you seen? Have you ever seen "Nobi" (Fires on the Plain), or "Biruma no tategoto" (The Burmese Harp)? Both films are powerful statements on war. WW2 is a difficult subject and you will find that most of the good war movies (in Japan) are samurai films...You can draw a parallel between Sci-fi tv in the USA and samurai films in Japan. At one time, in the USA, if you wanted to discuss anti-war, abortion, terrorism, McCarthyism, inter-racial sex, ect. you had to "hide" it in a sci-fi story (Star Trek, Twilight Zone). And for many years in Japan issues of war and combat where hidden in "chambara" movies...

mazex
08-30-2008, 08:35 PM
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

Great list Tvrdi! I would like to see Hollywood try a remake on "Idi i smotri" - or rather NOT ;) Even though I love the poetic parts of "The Thin Red Line" and some other US movies, they seldom leave such an impression as european movies does - in my opinon. A good war movie makes me embarrased for playing a game like IL2 ;) Most Hollywood movies makes me want to go playing...

WTE_Galway
08-31-2008, 09:42 AM
The fact that "Pearl Harbor" is missing from those lists is amusing, and to be applauded :)