PDA

View Full Version : Start the new Spit 100 octane

Attila
07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi everybody!
Yesterday on ATAG i tried for the first time the new Spit.To start the engine wasn't realy a problem, but about 3-5 min after take-off the engine was starting to shake and losing oil!
What did i wrong?
Cooling system was full open and i was starting with the emergency boost on. Was it for to long time or another failure? (Before the patch there was no limit for a flight with the boost)

:confused::rolleyes::confused:

Flanker35M
07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
S!

You ran the boost over the limit and blew your engine. Working as intended.

AbortedMan
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
If you were redlining your engine at max boost with boost cut-off on and running at 3000rpm, then yes you blew your engine.

I've ran some tests and cruised at sea level boost cut-off on, 2600rpm at 12+ boost, 290mph for 20 minutes straight, no problems. It's the high RPM/climb/stress that kills it.

Kwiatek
07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
IRL should be no problem to fly with +12 lbs and 3000 RPM for 5 minutes with Merlin III ( i suppose even longer) but in game you could fly only safe for 2 minutes then you got engine failure. Another crap thing is that in CLoD with emergency boost +12lbs you have performance of RL plane at nominal power +6 lbs - so you are slowier at about. 40-50 kph. In simple words actually in CLOD Spitfire Mk1 or Hurricane Mk1 at emergency power ( +12lbs) reach only speed of RL planes at nominal power ( +6 1/4 lbs)

Ernst
07-10-2012, 12:53 AM
In RL you should care your aircraft and not abuse the engine for longer time since you ll use it in the next sortie. In CloD you ll use a new one every sortie and the SPITFIRE had not to go to check up after using the 12 lbs boost. And the engine lifetime is not reduced after all :cool:

=AN=Felipe
07-10-2012, 01:04 AM
dont use spit 100oct, use IIa or Ia!

take a look on tests in FM/DM forums =)

S! ;)

28_Condor
07-10-2012, 04:46 AM
In RL you should care your aircraft and not abuse the engine for longer time since you ll use it in the next sortie. In CloD you ll use a new one every sortie and the SPITFIRE had not to go to check up after using the 12 lbs boost. And the engine lifetime is not reduced after all :cool:

I doubt that a pilot cared about the longevity of his plane taking his own life in danger...

P-47 pilots, for example, made constant use of WEP if that were necessary :!:

It is not by chance that field modifications are a thing of wartime :)

Attila
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I have tried it without boost and there was no problem anymore! Thx!:grin: