PDA

View Full Version : An excellent idea for Space Rangers 3, you know, after War Apart.

cairn
07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Two words . . . well . . . sort of:

SPACE RANGERS X-3

Tell me you disagree . . .

1C Company and Egosoft need to team up and set a new standard for open-world sandbox-like space sims. They can combine everything that makes X-3 great with everything that makes SR2 great.

Really, their only 2 arguments should be, whether to have the game in a first person actual space flight sim view/interface like the X-series or a bird's eye top down view/interface of SR, and what elements to add onto what both games already have. The perspective should be decided by a vote from us. Personally, I prefer the first-person virtual-reality-esque perspective, but I can't deny that there is a certain attraction I have to the simplicity of the SR view/interface. And as for the new elements, I would leave the creativity of coming up with that stuff in both of their very capable hands.

And allow me to point out one other thing. The space-station/planetary economic dynamic should never be an argument. Never being able to land on planets and having only space stations handle all the resources and thus the economy is and always was a mistake on the part of Egosoft's X-series. There should be an economy that extends across the planetary bodies and space stations. We should be able to land on planets to find larger amounts of supplies, to trade, and perhaps even do some other things like find information. In x-3, for those who haven't played it, you can't land on any planets. Everything is done in space, and the economy, which is very dynamic and realistically strictly based on production, even more so than the Space Rangers-series, is all entirely done through space stations, rendering the planets but mere backdrops. It's just silly. At least in Freelancer, the planets had a point because we could actually land on them and do the very limited number of things that we could do. Same with Space Rangers. But if we marry the two, we easily fill in the gaps for both games to make one, as far as today's concerned, ultimate space sim. It would be absolutely magnificent. Then imagine if one day they went on to marry the Elder-Scrolls and/or Fallout Series with this X-3/SR hybrid. Then we're talking the perfection of older games with the graphics of today. I know, it's a mad-gamer's dream, but if necessity is the mother of invention, then dreams are the wrench.

modo
07-09-2012, 04:43 AM
+1
+2
+x

cairn
07-15-2012, 11:32 AM
+1
+2
+x

Not sure what your saying, but . . .

Have you played X-3? It's a pretty good game for a one with patience. I mean, it's not action all the time, nor is it quick to find the storylines. I mean I started in an area of space that was practically on the other side of the universe from the main story arc. There are several story arcs to be found, but they actually have to be triggered, and mere time is not usually the trigger. The triggers range from amount of time in game and location to ranking at a certain level and showing up in the system to see the storyline icon so that you can know that there's an actual piece to a story arc there. Fortunately,there's different things to do in the mean time.

Well, anyhow, for anyone who's played X-3, imagine it combined with Space Rangers 2. That would be a really good game, and probably very resource-intensive, have at least 2 different resource-intensive engines, one for planetary battles, and one for space flight. However, it would still be a great game, and could probably be made to run satisfactorily on just about any processor above the higher end Pentium 4's and graphics of today's moderately decent video cards.

omegaweapon
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
i think modo mean that he is in great agreement with u :P sadly i didnt play that game so i cant comment

sadly a lot of people think graphic is more important than a good game; how people can play such a stupid games with such a great graphics, u want an example its wizardry 8 i played it last month but to see such a great rpg game in 2000 and not seeing something even a little close to this games make me sad, the gaming production going in the way of new boys who enjoy graphics more than story and gameplay (example oblivion ugh :S)

cairn
07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
i think modo mean that he is in great agreement with u :P sadly i didnt play that game so i cant comment

sadly a lot of people think graphic is more important than a good game; how people can play such a stupid games with such a great graphics, u want an example its wizardry 8 i played it last month but to see such a great rpg game in 2000 and not seeing something even a little close to this games make me sad, the gaming production going in the way of new boys who enjoy graphics more than story and gameplay (example oblivion ugh :S)

Yeah, I think what it was back in the day is that they didn't have graphics really to work with or efficient GUI's, so they had more freedom to focus on the game-play itself and they were able to add more things. Whereas today, they focus so hard on graphics quality that game-makers focus really hard on only one aspect of a game such as FPS or RPG or Space Sim or RTS e.t.c... but never attempt to integrate. In the past, however, before these graphics, games often integrated several different things. Back then, if you flew through space, it was likely that there would be a planet-based part of the game as well. Understandably though, it's partially our own fault too for not demanding more out of our games and being satisfied with such limitations. I mean after all, they had to make something that we'd be willing to buy, and deep down, who doesn't love glitter?

However, recently game-makers have been regularly breaking into integrating other game-play styles with their main style. SR2 integrates text adventure with point and click space flight RPG, a dynamic economic system, and real-time strategy, and FPS. Not sure why they wouldn't have thought to add customization of controls and strafing. Can you believe there is no strafing? It still manages to work though. Bethesda attempts to integrate RPG and FPS in it's Elder Scrolls series and it's newly acquired Fallout series as does Piranha bytes in their Gothic Series.

And a host of games, some of the best made today attempt to add open-world sandbox elements where players can just break off the main game and do whatever for a while.

Hopefully, they'll continue in this direction now that our graphics power and processing power has become greater and start turning back to the old way of doing games, adding a bunch of different things to do in them, and refusing to be limited by a genre.

omegaweapon
08-08-2012, 06:26 AM
i think its not about what they wanted to work on, or their limitation, its simply one thing. what is a company goal? making a good game or making a lot of money?

when u only want to make lots of money u will sacrifice everything in order to please the majority of world. sadly (or better to say hopefully) i am not in agreement with the majority of the world.