PDA

View Full Version : Modifying vehicle armor

djhz2001
06-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Hello all,

I would like to ask for some help with modifying the armor of a vehicle. I would like to increase the armor of a vehicle so that ptr shots no longer destroy this vehicle. I did some tests on my own modifying the body and turret thickness in the .def file from the vehicle or the armoredcar file in properties, but when I change the values and test it on GEM Editor, my vehicle is still destroyed by the ptr shot despite increasing the armor to ridiculously high levels (the mod is active). Does anybody know how to do this? Thank you all for your help and time.

KnightFandragon
06-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Lol, did you modify the base game file or are you modifying it in your own mod? I know I didnt have much success modding anything outside of my own mod....however, what vehicle are you modding anyway? What kind of rediculous armor lvls did you give it? The .def files is where you look for armor values.....BY destroy, do you mean "Hull Destroyed"? OR just like it got tracked or gun damaged? I know the PTR cant penetrate tanks or vehicles with much more then like 50 armor or so...

The only thing, going by the fact your mod isnt working despite the mod being active, is your mod file setup is wrong and the game isnt reading your modded files and instead reading the base game vehicle, so your changes arent taking effect anyway

The file setup should be

men of war/mods/<yourmod>/resource/entity/-vehicles/-btr/(The armored car file).....you would then simply, as you have done, edited the armored car armor section...

turret<# # # #>
hull<# # # #>
mantlet(#)
engine (# # # #)

It is very simple, idk why you would have any issues otherwise....The PTR shouldnt be penning your vehicle past like 50mm of armor....if its high as heck like you gave it 300, then the PTR shouldnt be doing anything, it will however still wreck the gun and tracks and what not...

djhz2001
06-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Hello KnightFanDragon,

Thank you for your reply. I modified the files on my own mod, thou the mod was activated. I am trying to modify the M113. The ptr, when aiming my vehicle in the game shows a damage coeficient (the number that appears while aiming) of 10 (the number displays in yellow. For other vehicles like the german armored car with a mg-34 in a turret (sorry i dont remember the name of the vehicle), the armor is between 15-10, and the ptr does not always penetrate the armor of this vehicle. But the M113 (the vehicle I am modding :-)) has armor between 44-38, and should be invulnerable to a ptr shot with a damage coeficient of 10.

Following your comment, I did get the right file, but I did not changed hull or turret values, as these were not present in the original file of this vehicle, but I will try that next. Thank you for your help, and I will let you know if that worked. Take care, and regards.

KnightFandragon
06-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Ahh, Damage coefficient? So in the PTR file you see

(Damage 10))?

That is NOT its penetration values....So maybe your looking at the wrong stat on the PTR. THe section in the guns that controls penetration is

{Damage 3}

You look in a gun file and it should have something that looks like

{Damage3} (10 150) (40 120) (70 90) (150 56)

that is its penetration, how much of your armor it can possibly penetrate....damage is I think how powerful the HE shell is or else how much punch the Penetration has..I really dont know

But in that example (10 150) The 10 is 10m range in game the 150 is the Maximum armor penetration that gun can penetrate at 10m, it will then begin to drop until it reachs 40m at which point you will see a 120ish penetration number and so on down the line. So maybe checkthe PTR for its damage3 number...maybe its alot higher then I figured it would was...

Also, M113? Is that the Vietnam APC? Or Some other American Halftrack that I cant seem to put a picture to the name? The German vehicle with the MG34is the Sdkfz. 223 lol, and the one with the 20mm is the Sdkfz 222 +D I like those AC's.

djhz2001
06-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Hello KnightFanDragon,

Yes, M113, the Vietnam APC.

I think I got you mixed up with the ptr values. I was talking about the number that appears when you aim the weapon in the game when I referred to the damage coeficient (i don't know what to call it). The ptr i used is the pzb39, which is set up in the file as having {damage 30}, and the damage table decreases that values progressively with the distance of the shot. Therefore, i think the ptr values are good.

I tried doing what you suggested, but I could not get it to work for some reason. In the original .def file, the armor is as ("armor_medium" args 1.0). So, as I mentioned earlier, this armor is set up in Men of War\Mods\"my mod"\resource\properties\armoredcar.ext, so I tried creating a new one with different values, but I was not successful either.

One thing that I noticed is that in the .def file there is something that looks like this:

{volume "body1"
{tags "body"}
{component "body"}
{thickness 44
{front 38}
}
}

In other vehicles I have seen this, but I never saw that the volume description had body thickness description, so when you go to the game and select the vehicle, the armor appears as if it is 44-38, but in reality it is way less than that, and that is my main problem because I don't know how to change the real values.

Finally, when you look at the pz2f in the game, its armor description appears as 35-15, which is less than the vehicle I am trying to modify, but the pz2f is much tougher to destroy with a ptr, even if i use more powerful ptr rifles than the pzb39. Therefore, this suggests that there is something else I need to change in order to make the armor of the M113 congruent with the in-game description of its armor.

Thank you for the names of the german btr's, I always get them mixed up because their names are so similar. But i do like using them a lot.

Thank you for your help. I learned a little bit more about modifying vehicles, though I still have a lot to learn. Let me know if you figure out what is happening with the armor of my vehicle. Take care, and regards.

KnightFandragon
06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Ahh, are you using that one guys mod on ehre who made the Chinook and apache for MoW? Maybe there is something broken in his mod, like he didnt add any armor hit boxes or forgot something, if not then idk....

As for those other values of Thickness and what not..I am no sure what those are about, my T29 HEavy Tank has those as well but changing them doesnt seem to do muhc...th only armor values that really seem to matter are the ones in the

(Turret_armor)
(hull_armor)

sections of the def file.

I am at a loss if armor # changes alone arent working...I have not yet come across that issue...then again, I have not modded vehicle models from modders outside the regular game...

Here is another thing to go look at...

go into set/stuff/rifle/ptrs/at rifle.set file and look for this line

{projectileDamageTable {0 50} {30 45} {50 40} {80 35}}
{projectileDamageThreshold 1}

THAT is the line on ALL guns that pertains to it's penetration ability...those thre are from my mod and as far as I know, i didnt change anything in it...but look..the numbers can clearly penetrate your 44-38 armor....try putting your M113's armor up to like 65 and see if that doesnt change anything....then again, maybe i did chang those numebrs...I forgot lol...either way, the PTRS gun files themselves do not have all the information pertaining to them...my PTRS files have

{from "pattern at_rifle"
{filling "ammo ptr" 5}
{Automatic}
{recoveryTime 1}
{entity "ptrs"}
{reloadSound "ptrs"}
}

and thats it..no info on dmg or nothing...

Give that AT_rifle.set file a glance, jack up your armor higher...maybe at 44-38, the gun can just plain penetrate your armor...

KnightFandragon
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey, how is the changes coming? Did you get the desired result?