PDA

View Full Version : engine management

revi
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
when braking hard do you alter the throttle or prop pitch?

TheFamilyMan
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I adjust prop pitch exclusively to compenstate for altitude and nothing else; the same goes for fuel mix related stuff too. Beyond the throttle, flaps, air brakes, side slipping and sharp turns are effective for braking if used appropriately.

Skoshi Tiger
05-07-2008, 01:01 AM
In a lot of these old tail draggers if you brake hard you will nose over or overheat your brakes and render them useless (I don't know if thats moddelled?), so I guess the idea is not to brake hard.

That is unless your going to hit something. In that case I think turning off the engine would be useful for reducing damage. Whether this does anything useful in the game is another question.

Did you see the myth busters episode where they shredded the plane?

Or do you mean using airbrakes or doing a brake turn?

revi
05-07-2008, 03:03 AM
I mean when doing a sharp turn to the left or right by skidding, and putting the underside of your plane into your flightpath to induce alot of resistance (without stalling) therefore kind of 'braking'. I wonder if at the same time I should be altering either throttle or PP or maybe both? As I imagine the sudden loss of airspeed will affect the engine. What is the best response in this situation?

BadAim
05-07-2008, 03:43 AM
I reduce throttle (of course) but leave pitch up in case I need full power quickly.

Jughead
05-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I have actually become pretty good and slaming on the breaks down low to get some one off my tail online. I hit the prop pitch first but mainly because I have it set up on my joystick and only have to move my thumb a little, I have to get my hand to the throttle to reduce it and it is also on the joystick. I also throw full rudder of course and drop full flaps if I'm desperate. I love seeing them react too late and trying anything not to pass me. It doesn't work on good really good pilots though. It is a very easy trap to escape if you know what your doing.

revi
05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
"I also throw full rudder of course and drop full flaps if I'm desperate"

is this to slow you down even more?

Jughead
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
"I also throw full rudder of course and drop full flaps if I'm desperate"

is this to slow you down even more?

Yes, but your altitude must be very low too which is a very dangerous combination. The enemy must be right on your six and gaining. Then it becomes a contest of who can keep out of the stall without loosing control. If the pilot is good your dead. If not you may get a chance to take him out when he passes. Alot of times though they will stall and hit the ground. It saves your butt, only you don't get the kill.