PDA

View Full Version : Spent case ejection

stugumby
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Greetings: i was just looking under my sturmovik and noticed near the cannon barrels 2 slots, one short and one long and no slots near the mg barrels. So my question is when firing im observing empty cases falling out but is the mg empty casing modelled or just the cannon? if the gun is belt fed the link would fall out the small slot? or is it the slot for the mg but ejection not modelled? Also noticed on the beaufighter and the hurricane field mod the slots and ports dont align. Definitely not show stoppers but im just curious. Some of the planes such as lagg have slots under the wings as well but all the guns are in the nose.

Treetop64
06-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Greetings: i was just looking under my sturmovik and noticed near the cannon barrels 2 slots, one short and one long and no slots near the mg barrels. So my question is when firing im observing empty cases falling out but is the mg empty casing modelled or just the cannon? if the gun is belt fed the link would fall out the small slot? or is it the slot for the mg but ejection not modelled? Also noticed on the beaufighter and the hurricane field mod the slots and ports dont align. Definitely not show stoppers but im just curious. Some of the planes such as lagg have slots under the wings as well but all the guns are in the nose.

The slots you're referring to under the wing of the LaGG are just gaps that allow space for the landing gear to rotate out when extended. The main gear hinges are where you see the gaps.

I can't speak for the rest of the aircraft, but keep in mind some aircraft retain their shell casings when fired; they're not ejected. Bf-109 is one example.

zipper
06-16-2012, 05:24 AM
From my aging memory I recall the 109 ejecting machine gun cases/links from two ports on either side of centerline just forward of bomb/tank rack. MG151 cases/links were never ejected from centerline weapons and MK108 cases/links were ejected only on K.

:grin: