PDA

View Full Version : virus map (rts mission) help

omegaweapon
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
anyone know how to solve this mission? any strategy?

modo
06-11-2012, 02:18 PM
1. Capturing the initial base is not a problem

2. The most important thing after that is to put rocket launchers as defenses around the base, without them you will get problems

3. The red ones are always the most dangerous on rts maps so I always expand south

4. I try to get rid of the initial robots (except the repairers) and replace them with my favourite design: 3 rocket launchers, one repair, dynamo and mortar...best armor and antigravs for movement

5. The basic strategy is to try and contain / eliminate red. One more thing, this is one of the maps where you better use manual control over a robot to be most efficient. This map has lots of bottlenecks and the AI loves to detonate bombs that can wipe out clusters of robots and leave you with few resources.

I'll try the map again, this is from memory...if I can find any other useful hints I'll update you.

omegaweapon
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
actually i am a fan of using manual control :D but this map so much base on luck that make me crazy in the beginning AI may or may not move to your base, red AI wipe out too soon and make the game impossible :S

what i thought was to move to red whenever blue make a critical damage to red then let blue capture my initial base so it forget his other base and always attack from one point (defending with 2 missile tower 4 launcher bot + 4 repair bot)

modo
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
a good plan. One other thing, these maps are tedious enough without having to struggle while both red and blue dog pile on you so reloading until you get a favorable fight is best
there's no clear way to know how to keep them busy with each other and not with you but by retrying you can find a way
I have no problem restarting these if they don't go my way, saves time in the end

omegaweapon
06-11-2012, 04:12 PM
yes i mostly restart but sadly red is so dumb that it can lose its base anytime (i never saw blazer to be this much stupid, most of time blazer is the main problem) red can lose anytime in the game why they dont understand their only base is gona be captured and they will lose :P when their unit is just a little farther come on forget about that tiny resource LOL

well i better stop complaining :)

omegaweapon
06-11-2012, 05:28 PM
i did at last but it wasnt something i am proud of it was pure luck and i do it by capturing the blue base and slowly moving toward red well i would never do this mission again its just base on luck :S

modo
06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Just finished it myself, also on luck. But in my case I let blue capture the red base and then hit it and took it for myself.
In retrospect I think for tough maps like this it's worth losing some money / xp and take the better armor (reinforcements I never consider as we can design better robots).
Also, some resources can be captured early on thus giving you more to build quicker, I'm talking about the central and north eastern ones. Those can be captured and defended by a small force at any time and will also be decoys for enemy forces.

omegaweapon
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
well i never use reinforce or armor i just dont like to use them :)

what i did was letting all my troops in beginning base and just use 4 launcher,mortar dynamo,antigrav do speciall mission i nearly do all of my work with 1 bot (manual control most of time) and yes i captured the north east and middle and even two of the resouces very near the blue after sometime they stop building defences and it just make the capturing easier :D