PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for 4.12 patch, fix the rear gunners on bombers

panzer1b
06-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I know i may not be the most important pertson and i am not exactly sure if this would be easy or very hard to accomplish, but would it be possible to update the turret code for IL2 1946 in the 4.12 pathc to include not only accuracy reduction like 4.11 gave us, but also an increase in turn rates. In the original game with very accurate gunners the slow speed (although completely unrealistic as a mounted gun is not a 1ton tank turret), was somewhat necessary to keep the gunners from completely obliterating anyone who happened to be behind the bomber especially if that bomber was maneuvering.

Now that gunners are much fairer when it comes to accuracy and relative damage they inflict upon planes, could you guys up their turn speed to maybee 2-3 times that of the current settings. I am specifically not looking for crazy good turrets but at least give us few online bomber pilots a chance to take on fighters without having to manually control turrets (which are still way to accurate when controlled manually), every time we want even a slight possibility of surviving an engagement.

I know this may sound like to much complaining but in my honest opinion it is the biggest bug that i have to deal with every time i fly and really hate seeing how unrealisticlally long it takes to rotate 180 degrees.

Of course if coding permits it would be best to give each turret a different maximum rotation speed as for example the b17's electric turrets had a historical limit in its rotation rates. I know it can be done as the S-328 has a turret which for some reason doesnt use the default turret code in all other planes.

Alsowith the S-328 i would love to point out another bug. It appears to have a super gunner having realistic turn speed but which lacks the accuracy tweaks making it a horror to fight in any plane which is badly armored in the front especially the cockpit area. I can kindof understand why very fast rotation and very good accuracy are a big problem for balance, but i thing we can now boost their speeds.

Here is a link to a mod over at sas1946 which fixes this problem***http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=13045.0*** , but sofar its not compatible with 4.11 and honestly such fixes should be in game by default and not require modding. Mods should be for extra content and not bug fixes, but again thats my 2 cents.

Id also like some ideas as to how fast they would realistically rotate (maybee 1-2 seconds to fully move a flexible mg17 or 30cal from one side to the other?) but still i can guess right off the bat it is much faster then IL2 in its current state.

And finally if this is intentional then i understand but at the least i'd like an explanation as to why the turrets are designed to rotate so slowly, because according to my research and actually being able to hold a planes rear gunner i fail to see how it is realistic. I could easily move the gun very fast, i could understand it being very tough to hit anything under G-loads and maybee holding an actual firing gun (its not as easy as it looks to fire just a plain old 30cal on target even if tripod mounted as i have experienced), but i still think the gunners could be buffed with tracking speed.

And last suggestion, not sure if coding this is even possible, but howabout making dynamic accuracy for gunners, such as decreasing spread when there are no G-loads and significantly lowering accuracy when turning or preforming crazy maneuvers, as that would be expected, but again i doubt such dynamic accuracy could even be coded in as i think it would require editing core code.

Ace1staller
06-29-2012, 10:31 PM
What about the ammo too ? Between the Computer AI and the Human AI on a turret or gun position on a plane. It seems that the AI has more Ammo than the Human in a normal speed setting.

ohasha
09-24-2012, 07:18 AM
It would also be good if they added some more maps in such as english channel as mods a pretty bloody hard to use and take a lot of time.

Nil
10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I agree with what stated above, increasing the speed rotation would be very good!

Luno13
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
What about the ammo too ? Between the Computer AI and the Human AI on a turret or gun position on a plane. It seems that the AI has more Ammo than the Human in a normal speed setting.

I don't see how that could be possible. Probably, it's just managing its ammo better than a human.

OT - Personally, I think it would be great to see ammo-reloads for drum-fed guns.

Bolelas
10-01-2012, 05:44 PM
How about give us some visual clue if the gunner is killed? Sometimes i keep shooting like stupid or making zoom passes because it seems to me that the gunner is ok, and he is allready dead. If it is not legal to show blood or bend gunner, at least make him disappear. Thanks a lot to team Daidalos. :)

Luno13
10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
+1. Currently, it's ok to shoot pilots and troops running on the ground and watch them crumple and fall, and it's ok to shoot pilots in chutes and watch them slump in the harness...I think having a slumped pilot or gunner in the cockpit should be acceptable.

Pursuivant
10-02-2012, 12:38 AM
+1. Currently, it's ok to shoot pilots and troops running on the ground and watch them crumple and fall, and it's ok to shoot pilots in chutes and watch them slump in the harness...I think having a slumped pilot or gunner in the cockpit should be acceptable.

For some planes which were included with the original IL2 game, there's a "gore" option which shows blood and slumped over dead crew, which can be turned on via the config.ini.

I could live without the "ketchup" (especially for the U-2/Po-2 gunner), but it would be nice if the "obviously dead crew" option could be extended to all planes in the game.

Luno13
10-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Gore setting was removed completely since one of the DT updates. I really don't want to see the 'ketchup' though (I know what it used to look like in Il-2). Only those with the Russian game version can turn these on.