PDA

View Full Version : Stick survey

DAD2MAXWELL
06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Right now I am using the CH/ FIGHTER STICK and PRO THROTTLE. Am thinking about purchasing the PRO PEDALS.

If I buy a new computer system, as this one is getting "long in the tooth" (3yrs) I will need another stick set up so that my son and I can fly together.

Is anyone running the TM WARTHOG stick? And do the Pro pedals work with that stick.

We have DCS A10, just have not spent much time with it lately.

JGP

Pfeil
06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
The Pro Pedals should work with any stick/device combination, though for IL2 you can't have more than four separate devices. You will have to use two different software packages to do things like profiling(admittedly this is less of an issue for pedals).

When it comes to pedals, I would rather go for Saitek over CH. Width is the sole reason for this, as the CH pedals and too close together for me.
I'd recommend looking up the pedal spacing and placing your feet at that distance, if you feel you can comfortable slide backwards and forewards for prolonged periods of time, go for CH quality.
Should you go with Saitek, I'd take a look at the Combat Pedals. I own the regular ones and feel they're at too flat of an angle(I do sit low to the ground), which you can adjust on the combat pedals but not the regular ones.

For the Warthog, I can only say I've had the opportunity to fiddle with a store demo with the full intent of buying it, and had to walk away.
The stick feels extremely heavy(I come from an x52Pro, so a CH user could have even more trouble) which makes quick adjustments a chore. I'm also not a very physical guy, so I can imagine my arms getting sore after a while.
I'd also look into the failure rate of the Warthog, last time I checked(admittedly a while ago) it was higher than I'd like.

DAD2MAXWELL
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanx, all great information.

JGP

Fenice_1965
06-05-2012, 10:44 PM
About the pedals. If you can afford go to the Simpeds pedals.
There's no match for Saiteks neither for CH.
They're a bit expensive but really worth the money.
Mechanics are top notch, almost attrition free.

DAD2MAXWELL
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
SIMPEDS, compatible with CH products? I remember them from a long time ago, the site I just found talked about how well they work with TM cougar.

JGP

Whacker
06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I have the older Cougar HOTAS and CH Products USB rudder pedals. The Cougar is wonderful, the only complaint is that the pots on the ANT and RNG knobs are somewhat faulty and I have to use a custom calibration profile. The CH pedals are great, my only real complaint with them is that they're too close together, so it makes it a bit... uncomfortable. Bit of squeezing in areas that shouldn't be squeezed. :cool: In terms of accuracy and construction, other than my complaints above, I love those things and could recommend em to anyone.

Pfeil
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Simpeds sell a number of different pedal types, you'll notice that each has either /C or /USB appended to the name.

The /C models are designed to plug into the Thrustmaster Cougar directly, and as such cannot be used with any other system.
The /USB models on the other hand are compatible with just about every setup. Though they still have the limitation of not being compatible with CH profiling software.

As a general rule, any USB controls, be it flightstick, yoke, thottle quadrant, pedals, etc.. are compatible with each other, with the exception of the profiling software if you buy different brands.

Note that Saitek gear like the Switch panel and most other controls that aren't a yoke, stick, throttle or pedals are an exception.
These are designed for FSX/FS9 and will not work with anything else(I.E. IL2).

Fenice_1965
06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Exactly ...Simpeds USB version is just like every other set of pedals.
I use them with saitek x52 pro and used them with TM cougar as well.
The cougar is a great stick but mechanics are subject to heavy wear, you need to buy the huber mod to work around its flaws...but at the price of the mod you can buy a warthog....
~S~

T}{OR
06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Another vote for Simpeds, simply superb pedals and worth every penny / dollar / (insert your currency).

If you're mostly into combat sims like I am - get F16/USB model. They now come with the base painted fully black. :)

Fenice_1965
06-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I had the very first Simpeds, they work from 1999 to 2011 and are stll working, i changed them with new ones only because I switched to win7 and could not use soundblaster gameport anymore...
Now I have the standard USB version with brakes and use them perfectly with any joystick.

Aviar
06-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Are Simpeds still available? I thought they stopped making them years ago.

Aviar

Fenice_1965
06-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes they are. I bought the USB version last tesar. Google simpeds and you will finder sellers.