PDA

View Full Version : Making new campaigns

Devean
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi all!

Since I have a working map editor, I have taken a shot at creating a very simple campaign... and it worked! You have to create a few scenarios, setting gold/silver/bronze victory awards, add starting gold and units available for purchase for the first scenario, et voila!

Since editing Campaigns.script always ended with a crash for me, I found that the safest way to add your own campaing is to make a backup of the Alliance campaign, remove all folders from Campaign3 except for Elf_intro, edit the Campaign.xml appropriately (I have some loose notes on that, will share them with you, once I make them comprehensible for anyone but myself ;) ) and... play it :) Of course, you have to complete both the Orc and the Human campaigns and the name + description will remain the same, but you will have a campaign of your own :)

Another thing I have discovered, is that you can make branching campaigns in this version of the game! The support for this feature is there, it was only not used by the developers yet :) When you look into the Campaign.xml file, for every level (scenario) you will find:

<NextLevelSet>
<s_nextLevel>SOME_NAME</s_nextLevel>
</NextLevelSet>

I found that when you add another <s_nextLevel> here, you get a choice between two different scenarios! :) Of course, you have to add appropriate entries for every <Level>. And the "SOME_NAME" has to be defined for each level at the beginning of the level specification in the <s_name>SOME_NAME</s_name> tag.

More info to come :)

God, am I happy about the ability to make my own campaing... maybe I'll make a few scenarios around June. It will take a lot of time to get the difficulty balance right.

Magog
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Very cool. :)

And just so you know, they say there's a campaign editor coming with the next expansion.