PDA

View Full Version : Lock up on Bessarabia dcg campaign

kennel
05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I have had 2 pc lock ups when running this IL2 DCG campaign, the first time it was memory could not be read, this time it was il2 exe stopped responding.

Has anybody else had issues with this map/campaign. First lockup was with 4.09 second lockup 4.11.1

jameson
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
The only thing I've found that works is to pause when it starts to lock up, then esc and press start recording on the menu that appears. Then back into game, press esc and then stop recording and back into game, unpause and continue. This is the only thing that works for me and the problem does not reappear in that mission thereafter, up to 90mins, (109 stops flying around this time, lol!). You'll need to do this for every mission you suspect will be a long one. (30mins+)
It is a bug that's been around since 4.09.1m, some claim it's hardware, overheating, bad memory etc., but despite extensive testing, swapping components etc., I've not found it. It's not bungling bill's crap software either as far as I can tell. It appears to me to be something to do with trk recording causing memory overflow, for some reason Bessarabia and the Slovakia maps are prone to this.
I've only recently discovered this "solution", and haven't flow many long missions recently, but can say this works on eastern front maps. Maybe DT will give us a button to turn off the default trk recording altogether as a stop gap to this problem? Hope this helps :)

yeikov
05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I've also had similar lock-ups lately. Jameson, I'm away from my PC now, but I'll definitely try your workarond. Is it applicable only when you want to record your flight? I had not enabled any track recording by myself when I had the lock ups...

Y.

jameson
05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
There are two types of recording in Il2, trk and ntrk. Trk is on whenever you fly and you have the option to save the mission you've just flown. Ntrk you have to turn on the menu and when you do, stops the trk recording I think. Starting and then stopping ntrk seems to remove the problem of lockups though.

yeikov
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll try that then :)

yeikov
05-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Jameson,

It seems to work for me too: none of the missions which locked up before have done it so far after doing the start-stop recording.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

Regards,
Y.

jameson
05-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Pleased to help, S!