PDA

View Full Version : reboot worth buying and playing?

ReadyMan
04-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I played SR2 about a year after it was released. Terrific game! Actually, one of my 10 favorite of all time (started playing with pong in the 70s).

With the new SR coming out, is there enough content in reboot to make it worth playing through, or would it be best to just wait for the new expansion?

As I understand it, the new expansion is the original SR2 with reboot and the russian expansion, and more content in addition.

Thanks for any input!

RM

ReadyMan
04-22-2012, 01:12 AM
anyone have an opinion?

DRNewcomb
04-22-2012, 02:33 AM
I paid a total of about $3.90 for Reboot. So, I'll say it was worth the price. There are some changes I like and some I don't like. The major improvements are the addition of a number of new missions, new ships and equipment and some tweaks. The tweaks include things like getting interest on funds deposited at business centers and being able to assist in the development of various bases. Some of the things I don't like include plugging some of my favorite tricks. Such as, you can no longer get that great little Singular engine out of the IPX.... robot in the training mission. For me, Reboot seems to play very slowly for a number of game-years after which it picks up.

Puce Moose
04-22-2012, 04:33 AM
I think Reboot adds a lot of neat new stuff, but at this point I'm waiting for HD to play through it again. Generally Reboot's ship equipment seemed a bit overpowered to me; ships with all open slots at a rather cheap cost, excessively powerful droids/etc., making anything *not* orange (the color of most/all reboot items) generally inferior. I think it would have been more interesting if some of the more useful additions had been balanced by a negative trait (the crazy +200 speed hulls also getting -10% shield strength or similar).
I loved the asteroid additions/new RTS/text adventures/etc.

Tryan
04-22-2012, 07:14 AM
As the dates for HD has not been firmed up, Reboot is a good temporary solution to the more SR2 bug if you have this. It provided me with more than enough content to have bought it at full price and its now frequently on sale, which should make the decision much easier for you.

DRNewcomb
04-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I loved the asteroid additions/new RTS/text adventures/etc.
@ReadyMan: The "asteroid additions" he's talking about are if you shoot an asteroid you may get paid by a planet it was going to pass close to or you may get cussed out for destroying either a spy satellite or scientific experiment. I think the second one reduces your reputation on that planet. When this happens I generally reload to the last save and let that one go.

ReadyMan
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Thank you for the replies!

Yes, I'm wondering about content additions....it's $9.99 on steam right now, and I have the original SR2.
Since it'll all be in the new version, I'm vacillating back and forth.

I appreciate the help!

modo
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
@ReadyMan: I think the second one reduces your reputation on that planet.

It doesn't, I've tested that and never had a problem even on the highest difficulty levels. But they do pay you so shoot away, early game it's even more profitable than trading.

ReadyMan
05-01-2012, 03:27 AM
After playing it for a week or so, I wonder why I ever doubted buying it and playing it!
Worth it completely!
It's sucked me back in all over again. The extra features are well done. Very enjoyable.

Certainly in the top10 games of all time.