PDA

View Full Version : DeviceLink Question

whiskey-charlie
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi Diadalos Team,

Concerning third party software running physical gauges via DeviceLink , Can you (or anyone) help or tell me who could answer these questions?

Questions concerning DeviceLink

1)"fuel 50 float [kg.]" need to be converted to gallons for US aircraft right? I found this...Gallon is a unit of volume, Kg is a unit of weight (mass).1 Gallon = 3.7854118 liters.Considering a liter weighing 1 Kg (water for instance), then a gallon weighs 3.7854118 Kg. ???????? If it needs to be converted , what would be the conversion formula?

Also,

2) Can you interpret the following lines in the DeviceLink file ? What does "in" and "out" mean ?

temp_oilin 68 float [deg.C] -273.00 +inf ; Into What?
temp_oilout 70 float [deg.C] -273.00 +inf ; Out of What?

Thanks for any help!

FS~Daedalus
04-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Hello whiskey-charlie,
I am not member of the Team Daidalos but I think I can at least answer your first question.

I assume that we talk about aviation gasoline (AvGas 80, 82UL, 91, 100LL, 100), and this fuel has, depending on what kind of fuel it actually is, a density between 0.73Kg/L and 0.78Kg/L at 15°C (lets use the average of 0.755Kg/L).

physics teaches us:
density = mass/volume (ρ = m/V)
-> V = m/ρ

With a given fuel-load of, lets say 100Kg of aviation gasoline, we now have:

volume V = Mass m / density ρ
volume V = 100Kg / 0.755KG/L ≈ 132.45 Liter

There are two different gallons in use, the Imperial Gallon (4.54609 Liter) and the US Liquid Gallon (3.785411784 Liter). I assume IL-2 uses the US liquid gallon, Team Daidalos, can you confirm that?
OK, 100Kg of AvGas have a volume of 132.45 Liter, and that is (assuming it is US liquid gallons):

1 US Liquid Gallon = 3.785411784 Liter
-> 1 Liter = 1 / 3.785411784 US liq. gallons
-> 132.45 Liter = 132.45 / 3.785411784 ≈ 34.99 US liq. gallons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only guess what the answer to your second question might be...
I think the oil-in and oil-out temperatures refer to the oil-temperature before the oil enters the oil-cooling device and its temperature when it leaves the cooling-device OR its temperature before it enters and after it leaves the engine. Only these two cases make any sense to me... so you could test it:
Is oil-in temperature higher than oil-out temperature? -> temp. before and after cooling device.
Is oil-in temperature lower than oil-out temperature? -> temp. before and after engine.

Hope I could help a bit,
Daedalus

bolox
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Hiya;)

Il2 uses SI(metric) measurements, so Kg for weight of fuel

in/out temps are the temps of the 'in' line to the oil radiator and the 'out' line of the same (or the game calculated values of these;) )
the 273 part indicates the minimum of 0 deg Kelvin (absolute zero=-273 deg approximately) - it's output is in deg C

IL2 game engine seems to use oil out for overheat purposes, and would be the one to use for your instruments

whiskey-charlie
04-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks FS~Daedalus for the physics and math information that may come in handy when I enter units to configure my oil temp gauge.

bolox my friend! You are always johnny on the spot when it comes to helping me out, oil out it is then! BTW, will e-mail you a pic of my (F4U) latest build.

Thanks guys

Alien
05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry for asking, but what the DeviceLink is?

bolox
05-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry for asking, but what the DeviceLink is?

from the DeviceLink.txt file im your IL2 root folder

The DeviceLink interface is meant to provide the third-party software with the
current condition of the player's aircraft as well as allow an unified method of
connecting alternative operating controls.

DeviceLink utilizes the UDP protocol to transfer the data. In this network, IL2
plays a part of the server. The external application sends a query packet, in
reply, IL2 sends back one (or several) packets containing the query result.
Proposing using the protocol within a single computer, ar a local network, no
data encoding is used and data integrity CRC-checks are not taken. Packets do
contain only symbolic information, the allowed range is (0x21-0x7e).....

How this is used varies and requires some sort of program to collect/send the data.
There is also a restriction on some of the 'instrument' type output readings in online play.

What can it be used for?
displaying gauge outputs on a second screen
driving 'physical' gauges in a simpit
charting flight parammeters (to prove fm right/wrong)
allowing 'unconvential' control devices (such as midi keyboards)
is a brief/ non exhaustive list