PDA

View Full Version : Helpful (learned) tips on how to get gold victories. (Part 2)

DorianGray
04-12-2008, 02:30 PM
6. Learn how to level your units (and heroes) quickly. One of the things I've noticed is how much xp a unit gets from simply casting a spell. (even spells like force march, bless, etc..) Also, some of the magic items that cast spells give your unit xp. So, I try to make sure every unit casts / uses every spell or item every scenario. If you have a unit that is not getting enough xp, trade in a spell-invokable magic item and use it every chance you get. Watch the xp bar *noticably* jump on using the item.

7. Don't be afraid (if you have the gold) to switch items around and re-assign them to various units as needed throughout the scenario. (I know I do it alot for the ice orb when I need to have a bunch of units cross a contested river.)

8. Be aware of how unit (friendly/enemy) bonuses stack. For example, try attacking a group (triangle) of three goblin raiders. (don't remember the exact unit, but is the one that gives a -2 attack modifier to the enemy) Depending on how you approach the triangle could make or break your attack, because -2 modifer *stacks* if you are adjacent to more than one raider. Ouch!

9. Terrain. Understand how to use terrain for your advantage... and overcome its benefits to the enemy. *Rivers* are especially problematic, both for combat and movement. IIRC, you have to cross a contested river in every scenario. Time is of the essence and you cannot get bogged down and need a strategy and force pool to make rapid river crossings.